Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #15

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateCamper View Post
I completed a 300 mile shake down cruise this weekend. The A/C unit breaker started tripping more and more frequently as the weekend went on. I figured the breakers were just old. I checked all three in the converter today with the multimeter and got 131 volts on each one. This was done with the generator running normal with out the A/C on. One side of the breaker if for the A/C and the other is for the GCI outlet. The insulation is also melted on both wires close to the breaker. The insulation looks OK on the other two.

The Onen PDF manual I have says to adjust the governor for over voltage but does not say where it is or how to adjust it.

Is this something I can do?

How do I do it?

Onen BGE F series 1988 P30 Chassis

The switch on the dash is the deluxe, it has an hour meter and a rocker switch. The switch worked before I put the new interstate 6 volt Golf car batteries in it. Now, only the "off" switch will work. I must start the unit from outside.

Are these switches still available?

Thanks in advance.
hi,i'm an ex onan warranty station owner, the gen set MUST be set at 1800 rpm , that will give you the proper voltage at 60 cycles. DO NOT try to speed up or slow down the gen set as it could burn out the armature. hope this helps you.
ron4strings is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #16

engine speed must be set with a tach. if you over run the speed you will burn out the gen ! speed MUST be set at 1800 rpm inorder to get 60 hertz ! i was warranty station for onan, an onan dealer has the proper equipment and should check the rpm for free for you !
ron4strings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #17

So, I just need to adjust the idle screw while watching the Hertz? I don't have anything to measure the RPM's with.

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron4strings View Post
hi,i'm an ex onan warranty station owner, the gen set MUST be set at 1800 rpm , that will give you the proper voltage at 60 cycles. DO NOT try to speed up or slow down the gen set as it could burn out the armature. hope this helps you.
PirateCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #18

Missed the second post, thanks mate!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #19

There are 4 Cummins service centers in SC.

Spartanburg, Myrtle Beach, Columbia and Charleston.

The Columbia center is 18 miles away from me. Open 8-5 M-F
Closed Sat & Sun

Cummins Atlantic LLC
2791 Shop Road Extension
Columbia, SC 29209

Tel: 803-799-2410
Fax: 803-779-3427
Toll Free: 800-695-5383
Old 09-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #20

Problem is solved!

I owe you a beer mate!

I'll get a new Ammeter over the weekend and check, BUT MY MAIN PROBLEM IS FIXED!!!

A friend hooked me up with a tach. I set the RPMs to spec and low and behold, the Hertz are dead bang on 60 and the voltage is 120. The generator purrs when the A/C is on. You can barley hear it. Man, I'm so glad I joined up here. You guys are great. Thanks to everyone who posted here. I hope this will help others. RV safe mates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron4strings View Post
engine speed must be set with a tach. if you over run the speed you will burn out the gen ! speed MUST be set at 1800 rpm inorder to get 60 hertz ! i was warranty station for onan, an onan dealer has the proper equipment and should check the rpm for free for you !

Tags
generator, onan