Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2020, 07:50 AM   #1

Onan Generator Shuts down after starting

We recently purchased a 2004 Dutch Star. We drove it all the way from Iowa to Georgia and ran the generator most of the way, plus overnight. Since then, we've run it several times in the driveway while working on the coach and it has never had an issue.

Yesterday, I started it up and it ran for about a minute before shutting down. It then would not restart (wouldn't even crank). I shut off the batteries for a few hours, came back and it did the same thing. I've looked at the start switch and don't see any fault codes coming through. The coolant looks good with a recent flush, oil is good.

Any ideas what could be causing this or where I should start?
13sunstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #2

Did you check your oil level? The generator does have a oil cutoff system to prevent issues. I too have a Onan, but mine is a QD6000 and one time we happened to be sitting in a parking lot have a few snacks prior to continuing our travels and out the window we happened to see smoke coming from the exhaust. I shut down the generator and went to check the oil and was surprised to see just a trace of oil on the dipstick. The generator had just enough to keep the oil pressure sensors happy. I topped off the oil level and was Cadillacn' back on the road. Ever since, I only use the Onan oil and have not had issues since.
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mine will not run if the fuel tank gets below 1/4 of a tank. This keeps you from getting stranded if your generator is running and you don't realize you're getting low on fuel. If you are a little low on fuel and are parked on an incline the pick up tube for the generator may be uncovered so it won't pick up any fuel to run.
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #4

I've checked the oil and coolant and that looks good, and I've got a 1/2 tank of fuel. Two things throw me for a loop at the moment. First, I don't understand why I'm not getting any kind of error code. But mainly, I don't see why after it shuts down, I can't get it to crank again until I shut the batteries off and turn them back on.

This is my first experience with diesel, so pardon me if I seem ignorant...I am.

I thought it could be either a fuel filter or fuel pump, but it should still turn over, right?
Old 09-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Currently experiencing a similar problem on a PowerTech 8.0 kw.

Heat shut down: Fan belt loose or broken?

Fuel Pump: I am changing mine but it is 25 years old.

As previously mentioned, oil sensor, coolant/heat sensor, fuel level, fuel transfer line leaking, fuel pump, fuel shut down solenoid.

No crank: low battery voltage, starter motor
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #6

What make of generator is it?
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13sunstar View Post

I thought it could be either a fuel filter or fuel pump, but it should still turn over, right?
Sorry. I missed the part where you said it wouldn't even crank. Low fuel won't cause this. Neither will a fuel filter or an air filter or a fuel pump. It will still crank (it just may not start). If yours won't even crank then it's more of an electrical issue. Possibly a starter or starter solenoid? But you should be getting "codes" from the generator. Is your rocker switch not flashing at you?
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:20 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies.

It's an Onan 7500. At the moment, I'm going to replace the fuel filter and see if that solves my issue. The odd thing is, it's not giving me any codes. It just sounds like it runs out of fuel.

I went out earlier today to mess with it a little bit and see if I could get a code from it. It started, ran for less than a minute, then died. No code. It wouldn't turn over/crank.

After 20-30 seconds, I heard a clicking similar to the preheat. It fired right up. I pulled out my phone thinking I would record the issue to post on here. 2 hours later, I shut the generator off.

I'm going to replace the fuel filter. If I continue to run into issues, I'll look at the fuel pump. If you guys have any other idea, keep 'em coming!

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:07 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I too have a 7500 QD. Go to the Files section above and do a search on Onan. You will find the Service Manual for your generator which I previously uploaded that may help you
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:44 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Be sure and check all your battery connections.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:57 AM   #11

We experienced a similar situation on a Class C after the previous owner boasted that the generator had only a few hours on it.
If the RV Generator has sat and not been run under load for a long period of time the carb will gum up from the gas sitting in it.
You can spray "Fire Start" directly into the carb to clean the fuel jets.
Try adding a bottle or 2 of injector cleaner in the gas tank and keep starting the genny until the cleaner reaches the carb.
I just replaced the fuel filter on my new Onan 5500 yesterday and it runs like a top.
Don't forget to add fuel stabilizer to the gas tank prior to any long storage periods.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:16 AM   #12

My guesses:

Had been running fine, not surging or stalling under load.Fuel delivery probably OK or adequate.

Shuts down and won't crank or show codes. Loss of electrical power. Check power source connections.

Clicking. Power connection intermittent. Check power source connections.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:01 AM   #13

I thought I would give everyone an update to see if my experience could help others. It seems as if all is well, but I certainly learned more about the coach.

We went to Myrtle Beach for the week and I was planning on making the trip without the generator. Went to start the coach and the chasis batteries were dead. Engine wouldn't crank. I tried a few times, nothing. Then I tried the generator and it wouldn't crank either. It was then I realized a few things. First, the solar charger is not hooked up to the chasis batteries. Second, it occured to me that the batteries had the power to start the generator, but not the engine. Then, after the generator started, it required some amount of power to run all of the systems, including battery chargers. Third, I had forgotten to shut the jacks off after they were deployed. I think the little bit of power those took slowly drained the battery over the last month.

Once I put the batteries on the charger for a bit (forgot about the battery boost), Everything started up and ran great for the entire trip. Hopefully, my ignorance helps someone in the future. Thanks for the input!
Old 09-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
If the coach is to be sitting for a while, it either must have some power to replace parasitic losses that will ultimately deplete the batteries... or those parasitic losses must be shut off. Battery disconnects that isolate the batteries should be utilized. If the coach is unattended, the fail safe approach would be to disconnect the batteries. Then if you forget to shut something off, it won't matter.

Running batteries dead is a sure fire way to kill a battery.
Bsipe01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan