Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #1

Onan Generator won't stay running

2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K, 13k on chassis and 100 hours on generator.

We have only had this RV for a couple weeks. The first camp was last weekend where we started getting erratic generator behavior. It will start cold, then run for a while but then when the load changes the engine will sputter and die.

I've changed the fuel pump and filter tonight and the problems seem to have remained the same.

We have gotten a large evap error on the OBD2 but I figured it was because I was pumping gas with the generator running.

Tomorrow we leave for a trip of boondocking! I'm going to get some fuel hose tomorrow morning and run it into my fuel jug. I'm going to get enough hose to replace all the metal hose all the way to the fitting in the tank.

Any other ideas? Anyone know the exact tool I need to disconnect the fuel line from the tank?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	96981  
Car54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 08:51 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the generator dies it should flash codes to tell you why it died. Read the manual to interpret the flashing light codes.

Originally I thought that The OBD2 Evap codes has nothing to do with your generator. But thinking about it. your evap code could have something to do with the fuel tank ventline and the generator could be tied into it too. I am not sure, see if you can trace the fuel and vent lines.

You have the right idea, run your generator from a fuel jug, if it runs good you have a fuel problem. If it still dies you have a generator problem.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:58 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K, 13k on chassis and 100 hours on generator.

We have only had this RV for a couple weeks. The first camp was last weekend where we started getting erratic generator behavior. It will start cold, then run for a while but then when the load changes the engine will sputter and die.

I've changed the fuel pump and filter tonight and the problems seem to have remained the same.

We have gotten a large evap error on the OBD2 but I figured it was because I was pumping gas with the generator running.

Tomorrow we leave for a trip of boondocking! I'm going to get some fuel hose tomorrow morning and run it into my fuel jug. I'm going to get enough hose to replace all the metal hose all the way to the fitting in the tank.

Any other ideas? Anyone know the exact tool I need to disconnect the fuel line from the tank?

Thanks!
and shut your generator down when pumping fuel
Old 06-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #4

I'm getting error code 36 which is the generic generator shutdown code. Yep dumb for not shutting down the generator. The girls were hot here in Florida...they'll live next time.

Manual indicates:
CODE NO. 36 (Engine stopped without command by controller)
Correective Action:
1. Gasoline Models - Check and fill the fuel tank, as necessary. (Note: The genset fuel pickup tube is probably higher up in the fuel tank than the vehicle engine pickup.)
2. LPG Models - Check and fill the LPG container, as necessary. On cold days the LPG container may have to be kept at least half full to provide the rate of vaporization necessary to keep up with the genset fuel demand.
3. Secure the spark plug lead on the spark plug (Page 3-6).
4. Replace the spark plug (Page 3-6).
5. Service the air cleaner (Page 3-5).
6. Check for mechanical damage.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #5

I've attached a photo of the fuel line for the generator. It's the farthest right connector.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #6

Sounds like a carburetor issue, I had a round of issues with one like that on my 5ver a few years ago.

Turned out, because the genset had not been used often enough, the fuel gelled in the carburetor.

First the choke would stick and not open fully once warmed up, then it would stick open and cause the stumble and die when loaded cold.

Next, the throttle plate would not move freely and an overspeed condition would shut the unit down.

All of these issue are due to one problem, (gummed carburetor). If you are doing your own work, get some spray carb cleaner and try first to clean the choke and throttle plate. If you get these two items to move freely, you may have resolved your problem.

I had to go one step farther and removed my carb, partially disassemble it and soak it in carb cleaner to get all the gunk out of the passages. If you need to go this far, I would suggest you purchase a carb rebuild kit. I didn't have the kit when I did mine, but know that some of the used rubber seals will be difficult to reuse.

If you do not use new rubber seals, be sure to dry the old ones out and (do not let carb cleaner contact them). You will be pleased with the results of this cleaning, and have a smooth running gen set.

Another reason to use your genset often, today's fuel does not store well in these small carburetors without some form of help, as in fuel stabilizers.

Try this, and please keep us informed.
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:43 AM   #7

Thank you Dan! I'll post later this morning.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:39 AM   #8

We are running!!!

The generator quit at around 5 hour mark, about 30 minutes into our drive. I had filled my 5 gal gas can up just in case and had all the hoses. It ran perfectly once the fuel line was primed and continued for 2 hours. I started working on the top of the tank removing the clip. It was a bitch and I eventually used a thinned out 16mm wrench to wedge it in there and squeeze the two white tabs.

The adapted I brought was 3/8 and it looks like the fitting is 5/16 so I was able to simply attach the 1/4" hose right to the nipple. It's been running for 14 hours now with not a blip.

Thanks forum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	97134  
Old 06-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #9

Have you tried loosening the main gas cap, relieving the tank suction. Also make sure your altitude selector knob on the carb. is set correctly. (more towards 0/ sea level give the engine more fuel). Was you fuel pump rattling?
Old 06-13-2015, 06:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Have you tried loosening the main gas cap, relieving the tank suction. Also make sure your altitude selector knob on the carb. is set correctly. (more towards 0/ sea level give the engine more fuel). Was you fuel pump rattling?
First and foremost...this is fixed as far as I'm concerned.

I pumped gas and the generator died shortly afterwards so that should have allowed air to enter. The carb was set to 0. I just changed the fuel pump and filter and the symptoms remained.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
First and foremost...this is fixed as far as I'm concerned.

I pumped gas and the generator died shortly afterwards so that should have allowed air to enter. The carb was set to 0. I just changed the fuel pump and filter and the symptoms remained.
So what was the fix? I just changed my fuel pump but haven't given it a real test yet.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #12

I attached the new 1/4" fuel hose directly to the fitting on top of the tank and have not had the slightest bit of trouble. Ran about 24 hours this way.

I'm now researching what the mating connector should be but really don't think I need it.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:59 PM   #13

The fitting on your fuel line might have a seal that has gone bad. I can't tell by looking at the picture. It almost sounds like it was sucking air.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:00 AM   #14

I agree but on a 2014? That stinks to think that would be the case.

Tags
generator, onan