Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2022, 06:41 PM   #1
Member
 
rick.rutel's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hudson, Florida
Posts: 51
Onan mystery codes and an obnoxious gen set

Iíve searched our forums for an answer, but I canít find anyone the same exact problem.
Our 2008 Monaco Camelot 42pdq is equipped with an Onan 10000 gen set that honestly, has to be one of the most problematic machines I have ever owned. The generator starts, burbles and dies. What we have done so far: Complete service, new circuit board, three new fuel pumps in two months, new thermostat, etc., etc. Today I checked every electrical connection I could find, cleaned them and made sure there are no loose wires. The error code after shutdown is: 3 then 6. Nothing in the Onan manual shows that code. When holding down the switch on the generator, I heard the pump prime, it ran for about forty seconds and died. Now, pushing the prime switch gives no response. Two years ago, we have replaced the brushes, motor mounts and crank bearings.
I need a solution. As for the fuel pumps; first brand new pump (all directly from Onan), failed in less than two hours. The second came with a bad crimp and leaked terribly as soon as we turned it on. The third pump failed within ten hours. Now the fourth seems to have gone bad. Help.
Is it possible to actually hate a generator?
rick.rutel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2022, 06:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
beaverfever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,059
Code 36 means
the engine stopped without a shutdown command from the control panel
. This could be caused by a bad fuel pump, clogged filter, crimped fuel line, dirty carb, and on and on
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:08 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
153stars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Braidwood Il.
Posts: 5,584
Maybe something going on with the return line to tank ,dead heading is killing them ??? I don't know what regulates the pressure to return fuel to return line.
Check out the top of fuel tank and return hose , tank vent ect. My fuel tank bay door just has a couple screws at bottom. Maybe build yourself a small remote tank out a fuel /gas can for testing at this point.
__________________
95 Monaco Crown Royale
M11 400hp, 4060 trans.
Aquahot, Generac Guardian7.5k
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:29 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Corc's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Huntsville, AL.
Posts: 205
That generator has been made since turn of the century with a rock solid Kubota diesel. Code 36 literally means the generator did not stop itself. As stated earlier this is usually fuel related. Fuel pump should be running when you hit the start button. It never shuts off when gen is running. Make sure you are getting 12V to fuel pump. Try to pull fuel from and return to small fuel can placed under the generator. I think you have a simple crimped line, fuel pump or pump relay issue.
__________________
Huntsville, Alabama
2018 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2009 Jeep Liberty
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:04 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
avfordguy's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kingsville TX
Posts: 1,574
I agree 100% possible fuel issue, I have seen porous fuel lines, crimped fuel lines generator has a suction and a return line, run a slave can of diesel and install a clear plastic fuel line on the return, there should be no air bubbles in the return line when it runs. If you do see air bubbles in the return line with the slave tank then you have a bad injector. Generally the qd series onans are pretty much rock solid. Unless it has a ton of hours like 20,000.
avfordguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:08 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Apollo Beach & Key West , FL
Posts: 3,224
I was getting a code 36 on my 10k gen set. I played around with all the usual suspects as you are doing. Finally, I found that the multipin connector that plugs into the control board was having issues. I cleaned it up with contact spray and reseated it. It started, but ran erratically and stopped. I then made up a device to forcefully hold the two parts of the connector together.. all has been good since.
__________________
2013 DS 4338
2015 F-150 toad with kayaks,bicycles and a Harley in the back
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:41 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
dbircky's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I was getting a code 36 on my 10k gen set. I played around with all the usual suspects as you are doing. Finally, I found that the multipin connector that plugs into the control board was having issues. I cleaned it up with contact spray and reseated it. It started, but ran erratically and stopped. I then made up a device to forcefully hold the two parts of the connector together.. all has been good since.


I had exactly the same issue on exactly the same generator model. Remove the air filter cap and immediately to the left is the problem connector. Cleaned it very well, and shimmed it for a tighter fit. Havenít had the problem since.
__________________
2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
2011 JK
dbircky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:16 AM   #8
Community Administrator
 
Lt Dan's Avatar


 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 14,419
One thing that might be worth checking is a secondary fuel filter. Some coach builders installed an in-line filter ahead of the generator. They have been known to hide them up in the frame and can cause the problems you describe.
__________________
2017 Phaeton 40IH XSH Maroon Coral - Power Glide Chassis with IFS
Previously '15 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA and '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A
'16 Jeep JKU Wrangler Sahara or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:39 AM   #9
Member
 
rick.rutel's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hudson, Florida
Posts: 51
Thanks so much for the information! Fuel supply was my first concern. When the pump failed to prime, I was confused.
rick.rutel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:25 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 20,616
Your fuel line is easy to access on your coach. On the driver's side the body panel with the fuel door is hinged at the top. Look under the coach at the bottom of the panel, there are two self-tapping screws. Remove those and lift the panel and support with a pole. You can now access the top of the fuel sending unit. I think I would pull the fuel sending unit and inspect the generator pick up tube, possibly collapsing. While out, many extended the tube so it would good lower in the tank, keeping in mind that you don't run the coach out of fuel by running the generator. I would then replace the hose all the way to the generator.
__________________
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (Freightliner)
2019 Ford Raptor
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 04:02 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 34
Onan 10000 quiet diesel gen

Anyone have a link to a service manual, think I have a bad solenoid or starter and Iím just trying to figure out how to get to it?
Wedlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 04:07 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Tha_Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 7,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.rutel View Post
Iíve searched our forums for an answer, but I canít find anyone the same exact problem.
Our 2008 Monaco Camelot 42pdq is equipped with an Onan 10000 gen set that honestly, has to be one of the most problematic machines I have ever owned. The generator starts, burbles and dies. What we have done so far: Complete service, new circuit board, three new fuel pumps in two months, new thermostat, etc., etc. Today I checked every electrical connection I could find, cleaned them and made sure there are no loose wires. The error code after shutdown is: 3 then 6. Nothing in the Onan manual shows that code. When holding down the switch on the generator, I heard the pump prime, it ran for about forty seconds and died. Now, pushing the prime switch gives no response. Two years ago, we have replaced the brushes, motor mounts and crank bearings.
I need a solution. As for the fuel pumps; first brand new pump (all directly from Onan), failed in less than two hours. The second came with a bad crimp and leaked terribly as soon as we turned it on. The third pump failed within ten hours. Now the fourth seems to have gone bad. Help.
Is it possible to actually hate a generator?


It will throw a 36 if fuel is low below 1/4 because it happened to me.
__________________
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:23 PM   #13
Member
 
rick.rutel's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hudson, Florida
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
I had exactly the same issue on exactly the same generator model. Remove the air filter cap and immediately to the left is the problem connector. Cleaned it very well, and shimmed it for a tighter fit. Havenít had the problem since.




Thank you! Your information was 100% accurate. I followed your instructions and once I reconnected the harness, runs flawlessly!
rick.rutel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
onan



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obnoxious back up alarm Gheidbrink Newmar Owner's Forum 11 04-06-2015 10:25 PM
Obnoxious ASPCA popup on websites wagonmaster2 Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 10 03-11-2013 04:46 PM
obnoxious knock-ACE ToledoCharli Thor Industries Owner's Forum 1 11-02-2011 06:40 PM
The Obnoxious Box Elder Bug sadiebug Just Conversation 4 03-28-2011 10:15 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.