Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 07:49 PM   #1

Onan problem

Onan 10000 Quiet diesel, was running fine, then had an incident of hard starting, seemed like a starter or loose connection issue, lots of clicking from the left rear, not the starter, cleaned the main leads, no flashing codes I could identify, could hear the rapid clicking and also a lower pitched single click like a relay. After reading the service manual seemed like the next step was to check the starter, so took out starter (what a pain) checked out fine, cleaned the internal solenoid contacts and put it back in. No there is nothing, no clicking not light, nads. Fuses by starter switch are fine. Oh yeah, 2003 American Eagle, seems like a connection issue, I just have no idea how to logically track it dow. Thanks in advance for the help. Terry
Wedlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 11:00 PM   #2

Check that the engine is securely ground bonded to the MoHo chassis and the same for the battery(s) that the genset uses.

Follow the 12 volt battery lead from the starter all the way back to the battery. Make sure everything is tight and there is not internal corrosion inside the battery terminal crimps on the ends of the cable (same for the ground cable).
Old 05-22-2022, 05:46 AM   #3

Take a battery and some jumper cables and hook directly to the cable studs on the rear of the gensest and see what happens. On my coach, the genset starts from the chassis batteries which is some 40 ft away.... lots of opportunity for issues in that long of a run, Your cables are 20 yrs old
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:48 PM   #4

Thank you

Thanks I’ll try that, when I cleaned those contacts I noticed that both of the cables had red ends, is there any way I can confirm drivers side positive?
Wedlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedlt View Post
Thanks I’ll try that, when I cleaned those contacts I noticed that both of the cables had red ends, is there any way I can confirm drivers side positive?
Use a volt meter to test the lead/s. Be sure all the ground cable connections are clean, clean, clean.

Another item that can cause this are the battery/s.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan, problem