Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #1

Onan QG5500 Help Needed

Hi, we have a 2013 Thor Windsport 32A. We have an Onan 5500KW generator. The generator quit running while on a trip. It will start up, run maybe 15 seconds then quit. I replaced the fuel filter, air cleaner, spark plugs, and changed oil and filter. Same thing. Might run a few seconds then quit. Is there a way to reset the cut off switch? That is all I can think of that might be keeping it from running.
Thanks,
Deryl
deryld is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
How much fuel do you have? Many coaches have the fuel pickup arranged in a way where it won't work below 1/4 of a tank of fuel, to keep you from becoming stranded from running the genny.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Start the generator. As soon as it stops, take the fuel line loose at the carb. If it does not squirt fuel out, you have a fuel pump problem. To see if the problem is in the board, run a hot wire to the fuel pump. If it stays running, the board is not signaling the pump to to keep running.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If your Onan 5500 is like our Onan 7500 it will show a trouble code after it shuts off. The light on the switch flashes a specific sequence to let you know what's wrong. Check your manual on this.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:14 AM   #5

Could also be your oil level or the oil pressure switch.
Kept Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:56 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a 5500. Several issues will give the symptom, as it starts then senses something it dies not like and shuts off.

Fuel pump is a common problem. Relatively inexpensive and easy to change. On mine, the oil level had to be up to the tippy top, not just full per the dip stick - else the low oil sensor would shut it down. I also had to replace the brush set.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:00 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You might be able to find the service manual here;

Index of /~n0nas/manuals/onan
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:16 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
deryld - we had a similar problem. Check the number of hours you have on your generator. Cummins related to me that brushes are good for 900-1000 hours. Check my post here - it might help. Onan Marquis 5.5 Generator Brush Replacement - Thor Forums

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #9

I have the 7000 and it drove be bonkers for a few days. I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Silly be had the gen oil changed by a Ford dealer. They did not take the time to fill it properly. It would start but shut down after less than a minute.
After checking everything the other members suggested above I also checked the oil level. It wasn't even reading on the dip stick. A phone call later to the Ford dealer and a trip to get the oil for free I added the oil (very very very slowly) and have not had a problem since.

Tags
onan