Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2021, 07:31 PM   #1

One HWH Jack that won't stay extended

I have a 2015 Newmar Ventana with HWH leveling. My rear driver side jack extends normally as part of the auto leveling process, but it doesn't stay extended for long (maybe a few hours to a day). I took it to a dealer and they saw evidence of leaking from the jack cylinder. They suggested ordering a new jack and quoted a price of $1,500 for parts and labor to replace the leaking jack. I'm wandering whether the jack can be rebuilt. I winter in Florida, but could take the coach to Iowa for a rebuild once winter is over. Alternatively, I could get a mobile tech to help me remove the Jacks and send all of them off for a rebuild. I welcome any thoughts. Thanks.
willlbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2021, 08:08 PM   #2

Search for hydraulics repair shops in your area, tell them what you have and ask if they can replace the seals. May be cheaper in Iowa than Florida. I'm from Iowa and they don't know you can charge rates like they do in Florida, and farm machinery has lots of hydraulics, so search your area there too.

You didn't say how much it leaks, like is there oil running down the jack piston and collecting in the pad? You may have a leaky valve on the pump that wont hold pressure and just leaks back into the tank. Much less expensive to replace.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:16 PM   #3

HWH has a state by state listing of RV dealers that may/may not be able to repair/replace that jack. http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml41023f2.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:26 PM   #4

Both my rear HWH jacks were leaking externally. My rear HWH jacks are non repairable according to HWH.
I paid $1049 for 2 at AZRV.com. That was with shipping from AZ to Fl. They were the only place that I called that had them. They came with pads and springs. They are as is but they are checked before shipping.
Their email is www.AZRVstore.com and phone is 1-602-272-0301

Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by willlbur View Post
I have a 2015 Newmar Ventana with HWH leveling. My rear driver side jack extends normally as part of the auto leveling process, but it doesn't stay extended for long (maybe a few hours to a day). I took it to a dealer and they saw evidence of leaking from the jack cylinder. They suggested ordering a new jack and quoted a price of $1,500 for parts and labor to replace the leaking jack. I'm wandering whether the jack can be rebuilt. I winter in Florida, but could take the coach to Iowa for a rebuild once winter is over. Alternatively, I could get a mobile tech to help me remove the Jacks and send all of them off for a rebuild. I welcome any thoughts. Thanks.
I would not support a company that says they cannot rebuild their own hydraulic units!!! PERIOD!!!

Yes, Willbur....they can be rebuilt. I've now done 3 of them on my coach that HWH said could ONLY be replaced!!! Shame on a company like this that will leave people stranded with the only option being a large repair bill!

See post #8 on my HWH thread....

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/hwh...ml#post4947686

Make sure it has been properly troubleshot...Is the jack physically leaking fluid onto the ground? If it's an "internal" leak, it might be one of the control solenoids leaking at the control unit. Just saying...Make sure you're fix'n the right part!
rangerb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:52 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped others on this forum and I am sure he can help you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #7
Commercial Member

ranger, please let me know what the part number of the jack that hwh can not rebuild. i normally call bs on people saying that, but i never say never, and i will apologize, if it is true.

we can repair almost everything we have ever built, because we built it.
we mfg 85 percent of what we sell. if we cant rebuild it, we have a replacement that will replace it. please contact me at 602 549 3638. i would really to talk.
paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:40 PM   #8

When I talked to HWH, I was told they could not be rebuilt. They said they have no repair kit listed for the 12,000 jacks I have.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
When I talked to HWH, I was told they could not be rebuilt. They said they have no repair kit listed for the 12,000 jacks I have.
FYI, when you're corresponding with AZPETE, you *are* "talking to HWH." I'd think it worth your time to give him the information he asked for...
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:24 AM   #10
Commercial Member

koda, in one respect, you are correct. hwh does not list repair kits, because we dont sell them. years ago, hwh sold seal kits, and when there was a leak, they expected hwh to pick up the cost of the repair. often away from home, they would just pull into a dealer, and have him fix it. then hwh got billed, not only for the seal kit, but for the cost of the repair. often running a few hundred above the cost of the seal kit.
not a bad deal for the owner, but a really bad deal for hwh.
we inspected those returned seals, and discovered they had been damaged during the installation .
this went on till it became cost prohibitive.
so, we stopped selling seal kits, and started doing the repairs ourselves, and claims dropped to zero. and thats why hwh does not sell seal kits.
hwh will rebuild your jack at the factory, and give you a one year warranty.
send a email to service@att.net ask for a RGA number, which is the tracking number for your repair. name, address, phone, year and brand of coach, and vin number. this is for registering the warranty. they will contact you with the rga number.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:03 PM   #11

AZPETE
After talking to HWH I took my jacks to a hydraulic shop that overhauls cylinders. After getting one dissembled they called and said they were non repairable. That is why I found used ones. I cannot recall the pat number for them. They are on a Four Winds Mandalay with a rating of 12,000 each.

n2zon If I knew the part number I would have told him the part number. I asked HWH for it and they would not tell me what it was.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:28 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Pre-Covid: My jacks HWH would rebuild and guarantee it would not exceed 70% of the cost of new. But this year they had no resources to do it. My jacks are welded close and would require to be cut opened to replace seals and then re-welded. I ended up getting a new jack from the HWH service franchise in Elkhart. Cost of the new jack was ~$470. The factory was out of stock on my PN.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh