Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2021, 03:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssnape View Post
Try a soft starter for your air conditioner. One trick I would use if I only had 30 amp available is stagger the set points about 2 degrees F. That almost always keeps the airs from starting at the same time.
Here is a link to the video I made of the soft starter I used for my 3 ton unit at home.
https://youtu.be/CDSJrGnxlMM
There is also
https://www.microair.net/collections...-soft-starters
+1. Soft starters make all the difference in the world.

Of course, the final load with both A/Cs running will be significantly increased and therefore, you'd be shorted for running other appliances and devices.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #16

This 2013 RV ran like a dream for years.

NOW it needs Soft Starts ? Can you explain why it didn't need them for 9 years ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

NOW it needs Soft Starts ? Can you explain why it didn't need them for 9 years ?
I suspect our advice has fallen on deaf ears.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:19 AM   #18

Quote:

Since the OP didn’t specify what was “tripping, cutting off, etc” if there is no other problem it could be the starting amps of one or both of the airs. I’ve never heard of starting current going down as an electric motor ages.
As an example in the video I posted, the LRA of my 3ton compressor is 83, yet I measured 93 amps on start, 11% increase.

If both airs are trying to start with 11% increase and at the same time, while the water heater element is on, the coffee maker, etc. etc. all things being the same it could be enough to trip a breaker.

8000 watts is only 33 amps per leg. While it should be adequate, all the possibilities others have posted could contribute to the total load being elevated.

As someone posted, if the generator is shutting down there is something wrong with the generator.

But staggering starts and lowering starting current can only help.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:43 AM   #19

Turn each on on separately and observe your power draw on your main control station. It may show you have an issue with one of the AC units.
Caymanedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:39 PM   #20

[QUOTE=twinboat;5688761]How are you losing power ?

You say the power shuts off, what does that mean.

If a breaker is tripping, its drawing to much power.
If the generator is shutting off, its a generator engine problem, most likely a fuel filter issue.

If you have a surge guard device, protecting the shore and generator input, and that's shutting you down, again more likely a generator engine issue.
Generator engines depend on clean and flowing fuel when a load is applied, just like the main engine.

Thank you, and here is more info on my issue.
The generator(5000 Watt Onan Gas) trips one of the 30 Amp breakers as soon as the second air conditioner compressor turns on. The two deep cycle house batteries are 3 yrs old, and the level checker on the inside control panel of the RV indicates that they are 3/4 charged, and they will no longer charge to 100 percent. I'm wondering if the batteries might be the issue.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssnape View Post
Since the OP didn’t specify what was “tripping, cutting off, etc” if there is no other problem it could be the starting amps of one or both of the airs. I’ve never heard of starting current going down as an electric motor ages.
As an example in the video I posted, the LRA of my 3ton compressor is 83, yet I measured 93 amps on start, 11% increase.

If both airs are trying to start with 11% increase and at the same time, while the water heater element is on, the coffee maker, etc. etc. all things being the same it could be enough to trip a breaker.

8000 watts is only 33 amps per leg. While it should be adequate, all the possibilities others have posted could contribute to the total load being elevated.

As someone posted, if the generator is shutting down there is something wrong with the generator.

But staggering starts and lowering starting current can only help.
Mark and Kathy here, sorry to be late posting this, but we have been offline for a few days, in upper Florida getting our second Moderna Covid Vaccination. Anyway, here is our problem in a a nutshell:

The generator(5000 Watt Onan Gas) trips one of the 30 Amp breakers as soon as the second air conditioner compressor turns on. The two deep cycle house batteries are 3 yrs old, and the level checker on the inside control panel of the RV indicates that they are 3/4 charged, and they will no longer charge to 100 percent. I'm wondering if the batteries might be the issue. Thank you again for your info, we really appreciate it!
Old 04-01-2021, 05:54 PM   #22

Turn off the other generator circuit breaker and see if the first AC runs or if the second one runs.

They both shouldn't be on the same breaker.

Bad batteries will make the charger work a little harder not not enough to trip a breaker with an AC on it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Turn off the other generator circuit breaker and see if the first AC runs or if the second one runs.

They both shouldn't be on the same breaker.

Bad batteries will make the charger work a little harder not not enough to trip a breaker with an AC on it.
Agree^^.

Now that it is clear that a generator circuit breaker is tripping and the generator itself is not shutting down, follow the plan laid out by Twinboat and report back your results.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:26 PM   #24

[QUOTE=KathyandMark;5686767]Hi everybody,
Thank you in advance for your help.
We have a 2013 Forest River Georgetown, & it’s been a great rv for us. No problems. Our generator has 900 hrs on it, & the front air conditioner was replaced about a year ago, works like a dream, & so does our rear air conditioner. We are on the road now, & boondocking. When we turn on both air conditioners, the power shuts off & only the battery power works. So we’re can only use one of the 2 air conditioners. We keep up with matienance of the generator, oil changes, etc. Any idea what could be going on? Thank
1RVVolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:43 PM   #25

[QUOTE=1RVVolunteer;5696818]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyandMark View Post
Hi everybody,
Thank you in advance for your help.
We have a 2013 Forest River Georgetown, & it’s been a great rv for us. No problems. Our generator has 900 hrs on it, & the front air conditioner was replaced about a year ago, works like a dream, & so does our rear air conditioner. We are on the road now, & boondocking. When we turn on both air conditioners, the power shuts off & only the battery power works. So we’re can only use one of the 2 air conditioners. We keep up with matienance of the generator, oil changes, etc. Any idea what could be going on? Thank

When electric items whether lightbulbs or any device is turned on there is a large surge of current through that device , then the current decreases and settles to a more stable state. I had the same problem with my rig. To combat the problem I installed slow start systems on both ACs. This causes the unit to start in two stages, the compressor, then the blower, therefore drawing less instant current. That solved my problem!
1RVVolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:55 PM   #26

My 2 pennies. Start the larger of the ac units with fan in lo speed mode. Only when this first AC unit begins throwing cold air, start the second or smaller AC unit, again, with fan on slow speed.
With both units running on slow fan you will have max dehumidification and will likely be just as comfortable. Enjoy and good luck!!!

Tags
air, air conditioner, camping