Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2022, 12:20 PM   #1

One Sailun Tire with others Being Firestone. Good idea?

I had a front tire blowout last week. My right front tire blew while I was on a highway going 65 mph.

A big THANK YOU to my Blue Ox Trucenter steering stabilizer. I never veered off course. Never felt out of control. I stayed straight in my lane and moved smoothly off the road. The entire outside of the tire blew off all at once - no warning from the TPMS. The tires were 6 years old, no cracks, RV stored inside.

I called Coach-Net and they were great! They kept in contact with me - called multiple times - and the new tire showed up in about an hour. They checked afterward to see if everything was OK.

The guy showed up with a Sailsun tire. It got me to my next destination and home.

Now that I am home, I need to decide what to do. Should I:

Replace both front tires with tires of better quality? Sailsun does not seem to have the best quality.

Replace just the front tire that did not blow, since it is getting to the end of its life? What are the issues with running tires of different brands?
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2022, 01:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
I had a front tire blowout last week. My right front tire blew while I was on a highway going 65 mph.

A big THANK YOU to my Blue Ox Trucenter steering stabilizer. I never veered off course. Never felt out of control. I stayed straight in my lane and moved smoothly off the road. The entire outside of the tire blew off all at once - no warning from the TPMS. The tires were 6 years old, no cracks, RV stored inside.

I called Coach-Net and they were great! They kept in contact with me - called multiple times - and the new tire showed up in about an hour. They checked afterward to see if everything was OK.

The guy showed up with a Sailsun tire. It got me to my next destination and home.

Now that I am home, I need to decide what to do. Should I:

Replace both front tires with tires of better quality? Sailsun does not seem to have the best quality.

Replace just the front tire that did not blow, since it is getting to the end of its life? What are the issues with running tires of different brands?
Yes. It's BEST if you replace both front tires of a better quality. The tire you received was most likely was only meant to get you to your destination. I would not bank on that tires ability to last very long.
Quick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:34 PM   #3

Look up the specs on your new sailun tire. I have been using sailun tires for awhile and they are good tires and very strong.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:53 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodBoss View Post
Look up the specs on your new sailun tire. I have been using sailun tires for awhile and they are good tires and very strong.
X2 on that !
I've got 6 Sailun's on my Pace Arrow and 4 trips to Florida and back with no issues. I keep all 6 @ 100 # and have no aftermarket bars or rods stuff underneath, and she rides like glass with balance beads all round. Very quiet tires, and great in the rain.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 02:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
X2 on that !
I've got 6 Sailun's on my Pace Arrow and 4 trips to Florida and back with no issues. I keep all 6 @ 100 # and have no aftermarket bars or rods stuff underneath, and she rides like glass with balance beads all round. Very quiet tires, and great in the rain.

Mike in Colorado
If I keep the Sailun on my right front, should I have 2 different model tires on the front?
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 02:57 PM   #6

I'd probably replace the other front tire, the Firestone, with a Sailun using the exact specs, size, and model designation.

Sailun commercial truck tires are of excellent quality and have a very good reputation.

They are not one of my favorite brands and I personally would not buy them as a replacement were I changing out all my tires. But this is not because they are an inferior tire ...again, they are an excellent tire.

However, if in your shoes, I probably would go ahead and use Sailun tires on the steer axle because of the situation that is presented. I like having tires of like size, brand, tread mileage, and age on the front axle myself but it isn't imperative that you do so.

Now the reason I personally would not use Sailun as a choice to replace all my tires is strictly a personal one and has nothing to do with the quality of a Sailun tire.

Many on this forum, one in particular (LOL), will disagree with my stance but I still contended that Sailun is a CHINESE company and what I mean when saying "Chinese company," I'm referring to the corporate headquarters. The Sailun corporate headquarters is physically located in China (PRC !!!).

Now like all big tire companies, Sailun has many subsidiaries. Their commercial truck tires sold in the U.S., I believe are now all made in a factory owned by one of their wholly-owned subsidiaries in Vietnam. The facility in Vietnam is a semi-autonomous company but is still ultimately controlled by the corporate headquarters in China (PRC !!!) where some percentage of the profits made go to bolster the parent company in China (PRC !!!) ...again, the company that owns the Vietnam plant is a wholly-owned subsidiary (definition of "wholly owned" go HERE or HERE) of Sailun, I believe it's known as Sailun Vietnam Co., Ltd..

Sailun also has a wholly owned subsidiary in the U.S. or actually, I believe it's North America called Sailun Tire America which serves as their marketing arm here in the U.S. and Canada.

So for personal "political" reasons, I prefer not to consciously buy products where a portion of the profits end up in China. Yes, we all buy plenty of products made in China ...that is unavoidable. It's just that I personally do not want on purpose to buy a product where the corporate headquarters is in the PRC if there are other alternatives. But I'd probably go ahead and do it if I found myself in your situation.

I tend to favor brands that come from wholly owned subsidiaries whose parent companies are in Japan, e.g. Toyo, Sumitomo, Yokohama, etc.

eta: keep in mind, what I just wrote is my personal OPINION. I'm not a tire expert. Many on this forum disagree with me on what I post about tires. So I just want you to know that I'm just bloviating and to take any advice I give as possibly not being accurate but just my opinion like a lot posts on this forum where people may have different views whether accurate or true ...or not. You ultimately must treat what we say here with a grain of salt and then do your own research and make your own decisions.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodBoss View Post
I agree, just match up to the Sailun on the front for piece of mind and go. Six years is riding on edge of tire life, get that other one off!
Old 06-28-2022, 04:57 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Move the odd tire to the rear. Unless nearing time to replace the existing tires, then buy another for the front to match. Imho. Ymmv.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:07 PM   #9

I too have had an excellent experience with my Sailuns; and I agree with their being quiet and good in the rain.

And, theroc, my uncle was in a WWII POW camp in Japan. It took many years for him to finally accept Japanese products until the Japanese manufacturers built USA based factories (even though he knew the profits went back to Japan). Maybe more personal than political for him
Old 06-28-2022, 05:25 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
What's the date codes on both your new and old tires?
Why did the old tire blow?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
I too have had an excellent experience with my Sailuns; and I agree with their being quiet and good in the rain.

And, theroc, my uncle was in a WWII POW camp in Japan. It took many years for him to finally accept Japanese products until the Japanese manufacturers built USA based factories (even though he knew the profits went back to Japan). Maybe more personal than political for him
Understood. Even during my childhood in the 1950s, I can remember the "crap" that was made in Japan. It wasn't until Panasonic products (and similar Japanese electronic products started showing up on the shelves) that I remember thinking, these electronic products are so well-made and engineered.

I was born just after WWII so didn't really hold the animosity some held for Japan in general. However, Japan is now a political ally and I actually prefer Japanese products ...especially cars that are assembled here in the U.S. I've had several and currently have a Subaru that was assembled in Indiana.

The China-thing is a whole different matter to me and I know we can't get into discussions pertaining to it here on the forum so I'll leave it at that.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:51 PM   #12

I have run Sailun tires on road tractors hauling haz mat with NO issues they are good tires. I would strongly consider buying a second tire and replacing your other front steer tire with a matching Sailun.

If the Sailun's bother your (They really should not) Buy two new steers and a second Sailun and move both to one side or the other on the rear. You can decide on the other rears if you like.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Understood. Even during my childhood in the 1950s, I can remember the "crap" that was made in Japan. It wasn't until Panasonic products (and similar Japanese electronic products started showing up on the shelves) that I remember thinking, these electronic products are so well-made and engineered.

I was born just after WWII so didn't really hold the animosity some held for Japan in general. However, Japan is now a political ally and I actually prefer Japanese products ...especially cars that are assembled here in the U.S. I've had several and currently have a Subaru that was assembled in Indiana.

The China-thing is a whole different matter to me and I know we can't get into discussions pertaining to it here on the forum so I'll leave it at that.
Thanks for a thoughtful and clarifying response.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:26 AM   #14

FWIW, I've been running Sailun truck tires since 2017. They ride better than the Goodyears they replaced.
They are designed the same as Michelin tires but made in VietNam.
I can foresee no issues running different brand tires on the steering axle. On rear duals tires must be within 1/4" of diameter of each other on the same corner.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, tire