Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2022, 01:40 AM   #1

One single best piece of advice for a new class A owner?

2008 Tiffin Phaeton Cl A DP 40' pulling Equinox flat tow
I've owned 3 class A RVs, starting in 2017, living full time in RV since 2019
Retired at the end of 2021 and traveling full time since
I was at a campground last week and met a guy that just bought a CL A his first RV.
He asked me what would be my single best piece of advice for him
After thinking a little I said
"Keep it simple in all things"
I think that I have realized that less is more and simple is better, (in so far as possible and where it makes sense)
RVs - all the bells and whistles on new RVs are slick and great comforts when they work but when they fail they can be difficult to diagnose and repair .... e.g. Aquahot type systems, heated floors, etc, as well as low voltage lighting control systems, are handy but again a pain to diagnose and repair, etc, etc.
RV accessories - I have a blackstone grill and many accessories. I don't always get it out at campgrounds as it is heavy and takes time to set up then later clean up and pack back up. If I had a $20 cheapo round small charcoal grill, it would be light, quick to set up and pack up ... and if it got too dirty ... I could throw it away and buy another. Few fancy accessories needed.
My single best advice to him based on my experience was in all things RV wherever it makes sense .... keep it simple
What would your single best advice on RV'g be?
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2022, 02:44 AM   #2

Are you good with tools?
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 04:30 AM   #3

My advice to anyone thinking about buying an RV has always been a question. Are you a DIY’er? If not, don’t waste your money.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 04:42 AM   #4

I agree, we are about to leave on our next trip in a couple of weeks, with our last trip being in June, and I have been putting off doing maintenance items in heat of summer with all those circa 100F high humidity days. So last week I changed the engine oil, installed a new starting battery, this week I need to change the generator oil, check the power steering fluid, clean the MAF sensor, clean the carpets, find the air leak for the air compressor for the rear helper air springs and air horn, and probably some other stuff. Thankfully we have a bit cooler weather now with highs most days in the upper 80's / low 90's.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 04:47 AM   #5

Good suggestion. Got rid of my Midwest Automotive Design Legend (Ram Promaster 3500) and opted for Thor Gemini 23TE. The Legend was like a lear jet. Couldn't access components and electronics were a pain to diagnose. The Gemini has less electronics, but less is more in remote places.
TerRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 05:56 AM   #6

Read the manuals. Take a day, sit down and read the manuals.
Winger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 06:59 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
When you have a problem, or what you think is a problem, check the easiest to fix/repair first.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:11 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My advice is to learn as much as possible about your rig. That includes identifying all the components used (AC's, Water heaters, power systems, engine, transmission, generator, drive train etc.) and find manuals, parts lists, troubleshooting guides and create a database that is easily accessible.

If you are not a DYI'er you better learn fast and/or increase the limits on your credit cards. Have money in a reserve account to cover repairs.

Don't ignore any type of problem, if not it will come back to bite you.

Other then that have fun.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:38 AM   #9

Watch RV Youtube videos to learn how to fix and maintain stuff. It's one thing to get advice over several pages, it's quite another to watch how it's done. Also make it a point to learn something new every week. Anything you want to know is out there, you just have to make it a priority in your life.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:44 AM   #10

Chill.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:46 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
My advice is to learn as much as possible about your rig. ,,,
Exactly what I was thinking. Lots on resources to help between manufacture manuals, owner produced videos, owner blogs, lessons learned and reference guides. It's getting close to information overload.

If a new owner's risk tolerance for DIY efforts is low or they become paralysis by analysis than this can be an expensive life style at $125+ an hour a chassis or house service center will charge.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:17 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Being a DIY has been the key to our fulltime travels over the last three years. My wife keeps asking me, what to others do if they can't work on their rig. I tell her, well they get in line and pay handsomely for the repairs. I can't even imagine how much of a challenge it would be if we had to rely on service centers when things go wrong.
I have a Discovery and am a member of the Discovery DOAI which has been a wonderful place to go and read what's going on with these units. I have read something and later on down the road something happened and I said Ah ha, I remember reading about that. So whatever make you have I would have to say, find your website that relates and read about what people are dealing with and if you have a problem, reach out and people are more than willing to help a fellow RV'er.

Happy Travels
dcfleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:49 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
After reading the title and before reading the OP's post, I had to think about it and really didn't come up with anything. Then I read the actual post and realized that keeping it simple is what I tell people most often. There are times where we'll be sitting at our site and watch someone arrive. I think EVERYONE watches as they pull in and set up camp, often entertaining. However, the one that makes my back hurt are the ones that pull out a ton of stuff and take over an hour to set up.

If you're spending a week or two or planning on a lot of guests, maybe you need to set up a lot of stuff. But then I see those same people pull out the next day.

So, I tell people that are new to the lifestyle to keep it simple, or you'll put off camping as it's too much work. I'm not saying you'll put off a summer trip, but you might skip that opportunity to get away for a three-day weekend.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 11:00 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Always carry a digital volt meter. It can "fix" many a problems!

Sent from my SM-A515U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, class a, single