Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
A similar situation. We bought a new dp coach last year. A Fleetwood Expedition Expedition 39B. We had to replace both front "steer" tires because they had been mismounted on the wheels, a small portion of the bead hadn't seated correctly on each, causing a terrible wobble in one and a bad wobble in the other. It was originally diagnosed at a non Good Year truck tire dealership. "You're going to have to replace both front tires. They were mismounted", he said. Good Year was difficult to contact and very unpleasant to deal with. We had to make two trips do a participating tire dealer, after dealing with a local Good Year dealer. I will never ever buy a Good Year tire for any of our vehicles. Ever.
Why on earth would you think it was Goodyear's responsibility to replace tires that were damaged due to being improperly mounted by the chassis manufacturer? Goodyear sold the tires to Freightliner. Freightliner in turn damaged them when mounting them on the rim. The tires weren't defective they were DAMAGED. It sounds to me like you should have confronted Freightliner with the situation.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #30

Hikerdogs,
We recently toured the Freightliner factory in Gaffney SC. The tires come to them already mounted. I don't know if they come from the tire mfg or A 3rd party.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:12 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
A similar situation. We bought a new dp coach last year. A Fleetwood Expedition Expedition 39B. We had to replace both front "steer" tires because they had been mismounted on the wheels, a small portion of the bead hadn't seated correctly on each, causing a terrible wobble in one and a bad wobble in the other. It was originally diagnosed at a non Good Year truck tire dealership. "You're going to have to replace both front tires. They were mismounted", he said. Good Year was difficult to contact and very unpleasant to deal with. We had to make two trips do a participating tire dealer, after dealing with a local Good Year dealer. I will never ever buy a Good Year tire for any of our vehicles. Ever.
I think you were mislead by a tire salesman, I have owned numerous large trucks, mounted many a tire, never heard of mismounted tire...when you put 100psi into a tire and then drive it down the road with 1000's of lbs on it and it not pop out, give me a break, that guy must still be laughing..
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:49 AM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
I think you were mislead by a tire salesman, I have owned numerous large trucks, mounted many a tire, never heard of mismounted tire...when you put 100psi into a tire and then drive it down the road with 1000's of lbs on it and it not pop out, give me a break, that guy must still be laughing..
Several years in the business, I agree
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #33
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
All I can say is, thanks to all the bad press I've read about GoodYear tires in the 4 years that I have owned 6 coaches, I would never put a set on my rig.

GoodYear, losing RV customers.....$4,000 at a time!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

I too am skeptical that a tire can be "mismounted" on a wheel. If the bead locks in and it hold air, it is mounted OK. Might need some balancing, but the bead mount is fine. However, a wheel can be mismounted on a hub, resulting in a wobble. Wheels can be "hub piloted" or "stud piloted" and each type has a proper way for aligning the wheel on the hub. I suspect that is what was meant by "mismounting".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Why on earth would you think it was Goodyear's responsibility to replace tires that were damaged due to being improperly mounted by the chassis manufacturer? Goodyear sold the tires to Freightliner. Freightliner in turn damaged them when mounting them on the rim. The tires weren't defective they were DAMAGED. It sounds to me like you should have confronted Freightliner with the situation.
Good year basically got out of the warranty service when limited warranties were mandated by federal law. The situation mentioned, leaves plenty of wiggle for both Freightliner and Goodyear. If in doubt, snap a cell phone picture. The dealer was undoubtably wrong here, but how do you prove it?
Old 06-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #36

This was a front tire, rims are coined for the lug nuts to recess., if all lugs are properly tightened how could a tire wobble?
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote