Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #57

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I have not seen a confirmed case of a power awning unfurling due to wind. Mine has never moved ...Carefree w/aluminum cover. My window awnings have no locks, and have been affected by strong cross-winds.
Never 'seen it', but a friend of mine's powered A&E unfurled last year, AND, he had recently installed the travel lock on the rear of it, that is mentioned in many of these posts !!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post

Never 'seen it', but a friend of mine's powered A&E unfurled last year, AND, he had recently installed the travel lock on the rear of it, that is mentioned in many of these posts !!
Ok, that's it, I'm taking all my awnings off
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #59

Too bad nobody around with a video camera while the poor guy was trying to secure it to get to their next stop .
He tied a rope on it, and was trying to attach it to his frame, and a gust would come along and lift him right off his feet! His wife had to hold him down a couple of times !!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #60

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed a second set of latches... So far so good
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #61

Awning coming out when driving

The only time my awning ever came out is when the awning retract spring on the forward end of tube broke. Replaced spring, end of problem. Have never used any awning locks. That 1985 Minnie Winnie's awning came out in the early 90's. Last year traveled over 5000 miles with lots of wind no problems. Have I only been blessed?
inspector8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #62

I would think, you would want to put any locks on front arm or front end of tube. This is my thinking as a former auto mechanic, airline mechanic, inspector and do it yourself-er.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:35 PM   #63

Ideal'y yes, but I believe that end of the tube houses the factory braking mechanism.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #64

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A few years ago, we were in our coach driving at about 60MPH. Suddenly a huge blast of wind slammed into the side of the coach. It sounded and felt like an explosion. It scared us so badly that I pulled over to see if there was any damage.

Imagine my surprise to find our awning unfurled, with the arms still locked closed firmly against the coach. In fact, I had a dickens of a time getting the thing unlocked and opened up so that we could get it all back together.

I decided that was never going to happen again. So, I installed the awning clamps and I've never had to worry about that happening again.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #65

Joe, my awning is newer, but I built mine very much the same way you did yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I bought a 1/4" x 3' plated steel rod at Lowes and a piece of clear plastic tubing to cover it with. I put a 4" bend in the top to insert into the hole in the end of the awning tube. I strap the rod to the awning support in two places with flat bungee cords.

This is what my DIY awning lock looks like!

I've got to replace the bungees as I made this last year and they are rotten now!

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #66

The mistaken assumption here is that if your awning arms cannot open, the awning cannot unfurl. This is false. The awning arms have NOTHING to do with this phenomenon. True, if your awning arms are NOT locked, there is a greater risk of the awning opening while under way. But, so far as I know, most awnings on the market today have some sort of latch on the awning arms that keep them from pulling away from the RV. The problem is wind that can get under and inside the awning billowing it out. Wind can even get in from the front edge and start to billow an awning. If you don't have some sort of device that locks securely that awning tube (and I'm not talking about the ratchet assembly that's built into the awning), you run the risk of this happening to you.

I've been RVing for many years and never had this happen until about 6 years ago while traveling across Colorado. I had a strong 50+ mph sidewind hitting me. Sure, I should have stopped, but we were under a time deadline. Had slowed my speed down and held her steady. Fortunately, the wind was constant. The wind got inside my Carefree and broke both the ratchet and spring inside. The awning (still closed) billowed upward completely unrolling. I heard the noise, it sounded like a freight train hit me in the side. We pulled off the interstate and managed to secure the awning by drilling a small hole in the middle awning cradle and putting a sheet metal screw through that and through the metal awning cover. It was so windy the wind was sliding me off the top of the motorhome.

The second time it happened was two years ago. We had just bought our current MH (a Sportscoach) and were driving it home from New York to Kentucky. Near Columbus, Ohio, we ran into nearly identical conditions. It broke the ratchet assembly and the awning unrolled (this was a two-step). I managed to pull off at the next exit and get beside a building where I secured it as best I could with zip ties around the awning tube. I had to replace the end of the awning tube (ratchet assembly). This time, I installed an awning lock.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #67

Many years ago A&E was sued over this issue ; Might have been a class action. Also nhtsa ? might have been involved. Anyway there was a national recall on awnings for this very issue. Seems like there are enough issues again for a safety investigation.
In reference to lazy people not putting their awnings up in a storm. Two summers ago in Lexington Va. a really bad storm came up and we had to bail out of the mh to the bath house. For me to bail it had to be ugly ; trust me. Anyway many people were still out on the town and their awnings were out and got torn to shreads ; twelve people were killed. They weren't lazy! The moral of the story "defecation occurs". Sometimes it is just your turn no matter what.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
"defecation occurs". Sometimes it is just your turn no matter what.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #69
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Joe, my awning is newer, but I built mine very much the same way you did yours.

Dunner, those new straps I got at Wal-Mart yesterday work great! They are made with nylon webbing with velcro. This is what they look like.

MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #70

Lawsuit won. Manufacturer's didn't learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
Many years ago A&E was sued over this issue ; Might have been a class action. Also nhtsa ? might have been involved. Anyway there was a national recall on awnings for this very issue. Seems like there are enough issues again for a safety investigation.
In reference to lazy people not putting their awnings up in a storm. Two summers ago in Lexington Va. a really bad storm came up and we had to bail out of the mh to the bath house. For me to bail it had to be ugly ; trust me. Anyway many people were still out on the town and their awnings were out and got torn to shreads ; twelve people were killed. They weren't lazy! The moral of the story "defecation occurs". Sometimes it is just your turn no matter what.
Here's the lawsuit, a man got killed: Sady Mauldin | Beasley Allen Law Firm