Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here are some actual used Class A and used TT numbers for you:
1st year expenses for a 5 year old TT (Coleman) in good condition was $65 for 2 tires.
1st year expenses for a 10 year old used Class A (30 ft Tiffin gas) in good condition was $5000 and iincluded key items:
1) 3 Tires $800
2) do it yourself rubber roof repair $300 (liquid roof and eternabond)
3) Brake repair - $250
4) Windshield crack repair $50
5) 30 amp power cird, power relay, etc, etc

Follow on years - TT was about zero and the Class A depends on what's broken, but I budget for $1200 per year.

But - i sold the TT and kept the motorhome because I like it better - fire her up and go - then stop and sleep wherever you want.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #30

Well it's going to be a lot more than a trailer (5th wheel or tag a long). We have a 2003 Dutch Star and it's averaging $739.25 per month not including the loan. We bought used two years ago and went to the MH because of medical issues in order to continue the RVing life style.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I think you're wise to realize this. The $10K in the first year reference is for purchasing an older DP used and still sounds a bit high to me. Even at $3500 for a set of new shoes $6500 in additional repairs seems about 2X what I would guess the actual to be. On the other hand, the $500/year in ongoing DP maintenance the salesman quoted is way too low. That would probably cover ONLY the tires.

Good luck...

Rick
I mostly agree with you Rick. Maybe I can shed a little more light on this subject. We purchased a repo'd 2004 Damon Escaper that had 28,346 miles on it on January 25th, 2011. It had original tires. We had negotiated with the seller to accommodate a fresh set of tires and more and paid less than wholesale. Since January we have spent :

Six - Toyo M147 - 295/70-22.5 tires - $2,641.20
Remco Lube pump for our toad including installation - $1,260.00
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar, Brackets and installation - $1345.95
Onan EC-30W Generator Auto-start & Wiring Harness - $584.68
TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System - $499.00
PVC tray in dump valve compartment - $70.68
Black Tank Valve - $19.70
24VDC Power Supply for TracStar in Motion Satellite - $59.81
Engine Air Filter - $66.28
Storage - $105.00/month
Insurance - $30/month
Fuel and Campground cost to date - $3,294 (5,000 miles and 42 days at campgrounds)
The fun we have had so far - Priceless

As you can see, many of the costs are for things that we wanted to insure safety for us and our pets. Soon I will purchase all of the filters for the coach and the Onan generator and the Allison transmission for right around $300.00. Then add another $200.00 to get the oil changed and the chassis lubed.

We worked long and hard for the fun we are having, it's only money.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #32

when i first started i was told if you have to ask don't do it. probably good advise.
i didn't follow advise and been spending $$ ever since without regrets. we enjoy the lifestyle and that's what counts to us
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
It's all good. Where we're spending this weekend, I've met and older couple in a class C, another older couple in a B+, a group of young guys out for a weekend in a popup, a couple with 3 kids in a bunkhouse gasser, and a guy and his wife oin a TT they just bought for $825!

And it's all good, and we're all having fun here,

The biggest difference between a TT and a motorhome is attitude.
A motorhome costs a lot more. more to buy, more to run. The biggest advantage of a motorhome is that she (they?) who isn't driving can go potty without us stopping. She can go in the fridge and refill a beverae without us stopping.

And we can all sit behind that giant windshield and watch the world go by.

If we just wanted it to make (financial) sense, we'd all drive travel trailers.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #34

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
[QUOTE="

If we just wanted it to make (financial) sense, we'd all drive travel trailers.[/QUOTE]

Excellent comment!!
OldPugVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #35

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Here are some actual used Class A and used TT numbers for you:
1st year expenses for a 5 year old TT (Coleman) in good condition was $65 for 2 tires.
1st year expenses for a 10 year old used Class A (30 ft Tiffin gas) in good condition was $5000 and iincluded key items:
1) 3 Tires $800
2) do it yourself rubber roof repair $300 (liquid roof and eternabond)
3) Brake repair - $250
4) Windshield crack repair $50
5) 30 amp power cird, power relay, etc, etc

Follow on years - TT was about zero and the Class A depends on what's broken, but I budget for $1200 per year.

But - i sold the TT and kept the motorhome because I like it better - fire her up and go - then stop and sleep wherever you want.
But you forgot to add in all the cost of the tow vehicle for the TT.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #36

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
Makes no difference the size you are interested in. If operating costs are that important then get a travel trailer.

Jim E
Corrected:
If operating costs are that important then get a tent
Old 09-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
It's all good. Where we're spending this weekend, I've met and older couple in a class C, another older couple in a B+, a group of young guys out for a weekend in a popup, a couple with 3 kids in a bunkhouse gasser, and a guy and his wife oin a TT they just bought for $825!

And it's all good, and we're all having fun here,

The biggest difference between a TT and a motorhome is attitude.
A motorhome costs a lot more. more to buy, more to run. The biggest advantage of a motorhome is that she (they?) who isn't driving can go potty without us stopping. She can go in the fridge and refill a beverae without us stopping.

If we just wanted it to make (financial) sense, we'd all drive travel trailers.
Ditto on the "excellent" post comment. You said a mouthfull Jim. Add to that the european family in the Camping World Class C rental we met this weekend and the couple in the Country Coach with THREE Newfies and it's pretty tough to put a value on it at all.... the other stuff is just "cost". We've been lucky enough to have our windshield filled with the length of the Pacific Coast for the past six weeks and there's nothing like it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I think you're wise to realize this. The $10K in the first year reference is for purchasing an older DP used and still sounds a bit high to me. Even at $3500 for a set of new shoes $6500 in additional repairs seems about 2X what I would guess the actual to be. On the other hand, the $500/year in ongoing DP maintenance the salesman quoted is way too low. That would probably cover ONLY the tires.

Good luck...

Rick
After about 4 years I replaced the rear shocks with Koni FSD's, Reyco Granning replaced the front shocks with many different ones, finally ended up with Koni Adjustables. But thinking about trying the Bilstein Comforttrak ones as Koni still doesn't make FSD's for our front axle.
After 8 years we replaced 6 tires and wheels (only had steel wheels and wanted alum ones. About $4,000 there as I was able to buy used Alcoa's from a truck wrecking yard and get them polished.
At nine years the refer cooling unit went out, $650 there and I did the work myself.
A few months later the front TV went out, $400 or so there and again I'm doing the work.
This isn't taking into consideration the yearly oil/filter changes at about $100 a year, again I'm doing the work.
Then there was the hydraulic filters (3 of them) and fluid. Another $100 or so.
Lets not even talk about the $3,200 Banks kit!! or the fuel!!!!!!!!!!
And now the dash air has quit, but I'mm not sure I'll bother fixing it unless it's a easy/quick/cheap fix. I can run the gen and heat pumps while driving.
Would I go back to a TT? NO WAY!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #39

Costs

I am new the the RV life and purchased a 2006 CC Inspire with 23,000 miles on it just about a year ago. We have had problems woth overheating. I had to replace the water pump, thermostat and now I am being told the fan on the C6 is not working properly. So far about $ 4,000 of unknown expenses but when we go away for the weekend the pain of the costs go away.

Love the life style. Can't wait to go on a long trip.
Francin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #40

Freightliner Owners Club
Don't forget your property taxes. We pay about $1800 a year--appraised way over market value--for the privilege of living in Cumberland County, NC. That's life...
zeeyaarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #41

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is one other thing to consider. If you buy a motorhome [which is self contained] and finance it, the finance charges are tax deductable. The tax deductable savings can help justify buying the motorhome..IMO
Old 10-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln30 View Post
Not counting purchase price

What is the annual operating costs of a diesel (Winnebago Via) compared to Travel trailer. Maintenace, insurance, fuel,etc.

This will help in decision making.

Ball park.
My insurance is less then $200 per year.
My fuel MPG is between 9.5-10.5 (diesel last trip paid $3.66 for it)
THis is close to what a truck will get towing a large TT.
Maintance is 1 oil and oil filter change per year
also 1 fuel filter per year.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote