Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 09:02 AM   #1

Operating costs-gas prices

I'm surprised that no one is moaning and wailing about the cost of fuel and the now high operating costs of owning an RV. I wonder if sales have dropped off.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 09:10 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Oh, there's plenty of moaning and groaning about fuel prices but those threads often turn political pretty quickly.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:15 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fuel is only a small portion of overall costs.
Going to AK. Price increases will add 1-2 thousand, but overall only 10% of total of our 11000 miles. Canada's gas prices are over 6.50 now.
Yes I hope the increases slow own sales.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:20 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the things I have noticed about the threads on increased fuel prices is that people are posting what it will cost for fuel to travel now, instead of the INCREASED cost for fuel to travel now compared to the cost of fuel before the pandemic.

Here is a link to GasBuddy for gasoline prices. The 6 year chart is most informative.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/charts
Old 05-21-2022, 09:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
One of the things I have noticed about the threads on increased fuel prices is that people are posting what it will cost for fuel to travel now, instead of the INCREASED cost for fuel to travel now compared to the cost of fuel before the pandemic.

Here is a link to GasBuddy for gasoline prices. The 6 year chart is most informative.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/charts
50 percent higher now! Pretty easy math...
98fleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:44 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98fleetwood View Post
Old 05-24-2022, 12:01 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Hmmmmm..... My math must be rusty because, based on the table provided above, I get a 76.9% increase in the price of regular gasoline from January 2020 to today and an increase of 164% from when gas was at its lowest point in April 2020 to today.

Are you figuring the change in percent or the difference in those numbers based as a percentage? I'm certainly not very good at ciphering but I'm pretty sure that's two totally different formulas.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:17 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've parked mine for the summer, as I am lucky to live where a lot of folks "vacation".
Just attended an "open house" at the local KOA, (which I owned for 10 years back in the '70's - '80's).
When I left in 1984, a full hook up, water electric and sewer was $14.00 + tax, and I would listen to them cry about the price. Today it is $65.00 + tax.

I'm hoping that after November, when the tourists go home, and the summer driving season is over, gas prices will ease off a bit, so I can head south for a while.
I ditched our Jayco Seneca 33ss (Duramax diesel) for the Pace Arrow 37c (gas) because the DW could no longer slither down into the cockpit, and once there could not get out. Now she sits on the "floor" level and has a much better view.
PLUS, I get to buy gasoline, and we're never stranded with a DEF head failure.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
I'm surprised that no one is moaning and wailing about the cost of fuel and the now high operating costs of owning an RV. I wonder if sales have dropped off.

Diesel was $5.00 a gallon when I bought it and it’s $5.00 now. When someone ask me my mpg or how much it’s holds it just part of owning it and a small part of the cost. I’m getting new tires again Saturday which equals to a crap load of fuel. My opinion if you stop RVing because of the extra fuel prices you need to sell it. Same thing with boats.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:44 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
We were planning on going out to Hoover from FL this spring and hitting all the national parks along the way, but switched gears due to gas prices. So we did a New Orleans-Hot Springs-Memphis-Nashville-North AL-Savannah-home loop. Saved about $2,000 in gas, but was still out for 6 weeks and had a great time. My point - some of us just adjust our plans. Since I just retired my cash flow is still sorting itself out, and my wife and I decided to to postpone the west trip for now to save the money. We'll probably go next year. I kept track of the miles and gas, and towing a GMC Acadia we got 7.2 mph. I was happy with that.

Al
Old 05-24-2022, 12:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98fleetwood View Post
VERY INFORMATIVE!!!! Look at the graph for a 6 yr span and the last 18 months really tell a story

Thankyou for finding that!
Old 05-24-2022, 04:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryF View Post
Hmmmmm..... My math must be rusty because, based on the table provided above, I get a 76.9% increase in the price of regular gasoline from January 2020 to today and an increase of 164% from when gas was at its lowest point in April 2020 to today.

Are you figuring the change in percent or the difference in those numbers based as a percentage? I'm certainly not very good at ciphering but I'm pretty sure that's two totally different formulas.
No biggie, but my math may be more rusty than anyone's.

The graph shows about $2.25 on Jan 1, 2020 and about $4.60 today. A teensy bit over a 100% increase,, if I'm figuring right. Or am I looking at something wrong?

Anyway, we didn't have any plans to take our cross country this year but I'm thinking that if we did, that we'd still try to go, maybe with a change or two in the itinerary.

Edited to add: Ooooppps, I calculated from January 2021, not 2020. The 76.9 looks to be pretty dang close,,,, without going over.
Old 05-24-2022, 05:11 PM   #13

Your lucky. I payed $6.57/gallon for diesel in California. I watched financials today and they are predicting over $9/gallon by end of summer with a shortage. It is all in the noise so long as your trip is finding a park you want to stay at for three weeks to a month at a time. For two to three days, well.....
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryF View Post

I agree
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas