Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2021, 02:30 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Opinions For A Better Ride

Hello All - We are new to the RV world and purchased an Entegra Vision Class A Gas motorhome. Loving it so far - But for the ride.

First we were getting blown off the road ( a little exaggeration here, maybe blown a little out of our lane ) by passing tractor trailers, but it was something we didn't like - added Safety-T-Plus, and what a great improvement!!

But the ride is still rough, like going over expansion joints or repaired asphalt joints etc. Wears me out.

So now thinking about adding Koni Shocks - Sumo Springs and an auxiliary sway bar in the rear .... Any thoughts?? Done before??

Thanks . Paul
pdcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2021, 02:34 PM   #2

The first thing to do is to verify your axel weights, then make sure your tires are appropriately inflated per the tires inflation charts

Over inflated tires can produce the effects you are relating
Old 06-04-2021, 02:38 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Agree - weights have been confirmed and tire pressures are correct - Thanks
pdcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:18 PM   #4

That's the most common complaint of the Ford Chassis. You can spend a lot of money to improve it some, but it is what it is. Better shocks, proper tire pressures and alignment, all will help some. Liquid Springs, although expensive, will help the most. After two years, we traded ours in on a DP as the gas chassis was never going to give us the comfort we wanted.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
You can spend $5K on this pretty quickly and get a slightly better ride. I had a 2020 Newmar Baystar Sport 29' footer. I traded it in for a 43' diesel pusher about 10 months later. I still have frustrations about ride quality on less than perfect roads. However, I am not getting pushed around the road like I was on the Baystar.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:47 PM   #6

I plan to upgrade our shocks, install Sumos, and add a steering stabilizer.
Bono_B-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #7

I had a 34ft class A gas. Ford f53 chassis.
No mater what advice you get on this site,just do like I did I installed front air bags complete with compressor.
Took away all the things your having issue with. Especially the expansion joints and the jarring from railway tracks. Most of all it illuminates get blown away by transport trucks.
500 bucks and an afternoon of labour and your done.
My wife would not drive our coach until I put the bags on.
Once the bags were installed she found it easy. She was in her early 60s I was in my mid 60s.
No longer have that unit but I sure miss it!

Once you have done this checkout the suggestions. A lot of people have good intentions but do a great disservice to this site buy expressing opinions that are really worthless unless they have experience with the issue.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
That's the most common complaint of the Ford Chassis. You can spend a lot of money to improve it some, but it is what it is. Better shocks, proper tire pressures and alignment, all will help some. Liquid Springs, although expensive, will help the most. After two years, we traded ours in on a DP as the gas chassis was never going to give us the comfort we wanted.
No sir front airbags is the cure for the Ford chassis issue.
It was criminal for Ford to have built a frame like the f53 chassis without airbags. I know! 500 bucks and an afternoon and my problems were over.
People have thrown more money at this problem than you can imagine.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:18 PM   #9

Ford F53 chassis? What year?
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:31 PM   #10

How about some insight to the air bag fix. Where it get, cost, installation, videos?
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:58 PM   #11

Do a search for Kelderman on here. There is a lot of information available. I had the Kelderman 2 stage air system installed on my 2008 Baystar. They will customize it to suit your needs. My set up includes an on-board compressor and adjust-on-the-fly front bags. Rear bags self-adjust to maintain a fixed height regardless of load.
You can google the company and see some videos.
As for ride quality, it reduces or eliminates the harsh jarring coming from the front end. Grade crossings that I used to tense up for are now absorbed. One of the side products of the softer ride is how much quieter the coach became. And nothing fell off the dash.
There does not appear to be any loss or gain to handling. The kit comes with Koni shocks for the front.
I have limited miles on the setup but they are all on roads that I am familiar with and the difference is amazing.
Just another option to look into. Good luck.
Vintage Iron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:58 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
$2600 is a long way from $500 and an afternoon in the driveway, as stated by Ted. What's the real answer?
Old 06-06-2021, 03:08 AM   #13

If $3K makes the F53 ride like a DP on air bags, it would be worth it to me.
I need to check this out.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:05 AM   #14

My 30ft 2021 HR Vacationner on F53 chassis was all over the road when I got it. The stock Ford chassis leaves a lot to be desired and aftermarket upgrades do help but this frame has it’s limitations.
I spent a lot of time and $ to make it driveable. Rear track bar, Steering stabiliser, Rear and front Sway bars, Shocks, Sumo’s. Handling was then Ok but the ride was still as rough. I’ve always kept my tire pressure at 5 psi above the recommended pressure from the tire mfg’s load charts.
This year, before giving up on it, I went with the Kelderman 2 stage front and rear. Have to say that the ride is much better and handling is good. I think that I’ve probably reached the limit of what this old ‘bread truck’ chassis configuration has to offer. Also upgraded to aluminum wheels and added centramatic balancers.
I’m holding to this class A coach because there’s not many options in the 30ft range except ... more F53 based entry level rigs.
After 5 years of ownership, wish I had known about Kelderman’s 2 stage from the get go.
Pol6 is offline   Reply With Quote