Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2021, 11:56 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Opinions needed 2005 Airstream Land Yacht 26 GM 8.1

A friend is looking at this rig - 37k miles, looks about as good as any 15 year old rig possibly can. Its clean in and out and the interior doesn't show noticeable wear in the pics. Don't know about maintenance records yet.

So:

What to look out for?

Any known defects or weak points?

Any compelling strong points?

Im still looking for chassis specs so if anyone has that info Id appreciate a short cut.

To me it looks like an excellent rig for the $$ as far as milage and condition goes and getting into a nice clean small class A at that price (mid $30k) seems like a find, but then it also seems like a lot for a 15 year old 26’ gas class A.

Any advice? I’m starting my research now but wanted to post here first to get input. I hope to go see it tomorrow.

THANKS!

PS - just found this: https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...manual-208.pdf
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2021, 12:42 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Only thing I know is that chassis seems to have a lot of parking brake problems, which dram it undriveable
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:52 AM   #3

I would think that chassis would have the Allison transmission, rather than the Hydramatic with the AutoPark system that I had with the 7.4 engine.
Guzzimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Only thing I know is that chassis seems to have a lot of parking brake problems, which dram it undriveable
Haven't looked up the specs but being only a 26 footer, it may be on a P32 chassis which I don't believe has the parking brake issue. Ours is a 32 and uses a manual activated driveshaft parking brake.

I have had sticking caliper issues over the years but think I've nipped that in the bud with routine lubrication of the surfaces the pads slide on.

Had the burnt spark plug wiring near the back of the engine as well but think I've gotten that remedied with Magnum wires and a home made air ventilation set up.

The chassis a/c developed a leak, I think in the evaporator, somewhat early on but I never addressed getting it repaired.

Everything else on the chassis has been fine..

Edited to add: Did a quick search and found one for sale listed as having a 15k gvwr and 19k gcwr. Those are the specs for my P32.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:38 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
A friend is looking at this rig - 37k miles, looks about as good as any 15 year old rig possibly can. Its clean in and out and the interior doesn't show noticeable wear in the pics. Don't know about maintenance records yet.

So:

What to look out for?

Any known defects or weak points?

Any compelling strong points?

Im still looking for chassis specs so if anyone has that info Id appreciate a short cut.

To me it looks like an excellent rig for the $$ as far as milage and condition goes and getting into a nice clean small class A at that price (mid $30k) seems like a find, but then it also seems like a lot for a 15 year old 26’ gas class A.

Any advice? I’m starting my research now but wanted to post here first to get input. I hope to go see it tomorrow.

THANKS!

PS - just found this: https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...manual-208.pdf
Price isn't all that bad even though $32K would be better.
It should have the WH W chassis as the P32 was discontinued and I believe in 03.
At 26ft, it shouldn't have autopark (cutoff for that was at about 34ft and 15K lbs.) and especially with an Allison transmission, even though some of them did, but even if, the carrying of a few parts and a little education on the system isn't all that bad of a thing. I had AP in our old coach for 9yrs and yes, did fix it on the road a couplie of times. Once in a campground and the other time in a parking lot. Main reason for the education is not for only doing it yourself, but for educating your mechanic in most cases.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:02 PM   #6

That seems like a lot of money for a very basic 26' MH with no slides.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:11 AM   #7

It could be either P or W series chassis, the P series was discontinued in 2006

p.s. my 2002 P32 28 ft Safari Trek has the automatic parking brake, which I feel is just one more thing to maintain, sure there is the chance it may strand me on the side of the road, but so would a flat tire. I have done what I can to lower the risk, I have invested about $250 in Ultra RV's improved pressure switches, check the fluid level before each trip, and check the systems for leaks at the main actuator, etc. every time I change the oil.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:06 PM   #8

The vin number would tell us what chassis the Airstream is on. I believe it's the 6th digit.

The Workhorse chassis manual shows that the P32 was available in 2005 with gvwrs of 15, 17, and 18k. Up from there, is the W20 with a 20,700 gvwr. Not sure a 26 footer would be in need of that heavy a chassis but I suppose it could have been an option.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:48 PM   #9

Only the P-series had auto park. The W-series did not.

FWIW, 30 months ago I paid just under $24k (from a dealer) for a 2004 32' Dolphin with only 13k miles on it. It has two slides, Workhorse W-22 and 8.1 Vortec. That was pre-pandemic and I know prices have gone up since then, but I still think your friend can do better. A friend of mine who runs an RV service center tells me that trailers and smaller mohos (Class B and C) are what's really in demand.

Given that the latest Covid variant is apparently milder than they were originally thinking-- and given the current price of gasoline-- it should be a buyer's market for Class A soon enough.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:43 PM   #10

You need 2 inspections.. before you buy and after you agree on price subject to passing successfully 2 inspections..
1 for chassis and 2nd for coach.. I am not just giving someone 30k without inspection..
With it setting this long.. you are going to have as much as 20% of purchase price in repair.. if you must have repairs done.. plan on up to 1yr in shop for waiting for parts and services..
Members here post new million dollars coaches setting in shops for 6 months and making payments
So be ready to roll up sleeves and get to work.. or keep slush fund back and time in shops
It sounds harsh.. but you are not getting new one.. just be ready..
1st research chassis.. find out what it sits on.. look in that section
2nd research coach... look in that section
Get on the roof.. check every crack or rotten sealant.. look inside every corner for any stains..
Gm chassis.. there are plenty parts.. if you know where to look..
Coach.. not so much.. harder to find.. but still available
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 12-09-2021, 07:50 AM   #11

Airstream comments:

I agree that APB is not the disaster some people make it out to be. Learn how the system works, and add the Ultra RV upgraded switches.

If it is on a workhorse chassis, look for the sticker indicating it had the brake recall completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
It could be either P or W series chassis, the P series was discontinued in 2006

p.s. my 2002 P32 28 ft Safari Trek has the automatic parking brake, which I feel is just one more thing to maintain, sure there is the chance it may strand me on the side of the road, but so would a flat tire. I have done what I can to lower the risk, I have invested about $250 in Ultra RV's improved pressure switches, check the fluid level before each trip, and check the systems for leaks at the main actuator, etc. every time I change the oil.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Only the P-series had auto park. The W-series did not.
I wouldn't count on it.
"Workhorse chassis (W Series) equipped with Allison 1000 MH transmissions do not have auto-park brakes; they have parking pawls. However, the new W24 (2004 model) chassis with an Allison 2100 MH transmission does have an auto-park brake system, as this transmission has no parking pawl. Allison transmissions are not available on P Series chassis."
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I wouldn't count on it.
"Workhorse chassis (W Series) equipped with Allison 1000 MH transmissions do not have auto-park brakes; they have parking pawls. However, the new W24 (2004 model) chassis with an Allison 2100 MH transmission does have an auto-park brake system, as this transmission has no parking pawl. Allison transmissions are not available on P Series chassis."
Thanks, I stand corrected. It appears that some early W24 did have the auto-park brake.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Thanks, I stand corrected. It appears that some early W24 did have the auto-park brake.
Yes, the early W-24 series did have an AAPB, but it was the much improved J72 version.

That J72 system was also used on the 2005 model year (only) P-32 chassis.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, airstream