Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #1

Opinions on '05 Winnebago Journey 32T

First post for me and its an important one. We are looking to move from our 21 foot Class C gas rig to a DP. We have found a 2005 Winnebago Journey 32T for sale with only 9800 kms. Cummins 5.9, Allison transmission, great floor plan. It is literally like new. Any opinions on this power train, things to look out for, pros/cons of this particular unit would be greatly appreciated! We are enjoying reading the forum... great resource!
vvoicemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I don't have any technical info, however I always thought the 32T floorplan was nice.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have an 05 Meridian 36G. Itasca version of the Journey. And my buddy has the Journey 36G. We love them. We have the cat C7 with allison. With the freightliner chassis. You should be able to get the maintenance and warranty records for this rig.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have an '05 36G Journey w/ a C-7 350hp. It is a great coach. We put a little over 67k miles on it. I have been to Camp Freightliner x2 and had my coach serviced at the factory service center. I have also had numerous upgrades done at the Winnebago factory in Forest City. The number 1 thing I would look for is ANY sign of water intrusion. Particularly on the front and rear end caps. Any foggy windows, etc. You will notice the gutters just below the curve of the roof sides terminate at the drivers' (and passengers' ) window and at the end caps. Check the condition of the caulking in this "gutter". Also look for signs of rub where the slide goes in and out. Inspect underneath the slide when it is out for the condition of the seal on the big slide. Also check the carpet in the bedroom when the slide is out as this is a notorious place for leaks in the '04 to '06 model years.

As far as engine, check for maintenance records. Particularly lift pump and fuel pump maintenance (pressure checks). Also age of unit alone you should be on second set of tires.

Hope this helps.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Welcome to IRV2. Good luck on your new purchase.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thinking about going to camp freightliner. Is it worth it?
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #7

Thanks for opinions and tips

Thanks for the opinions and tips!
vvoicemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Bought our 32T new in 2002. Same engine 275HP and Allison 5 speed. I now have 176,000 miles. Only 2 major things with engine. New lift and injector pumps done at approx. 80,000 miles. My fault when lift pump began to act up I ran it to long without replacing right away. I now use Opi- lube summer blend additive to help lube pumps. Also had head gasket replaced on engine at approx. 90,000. The Freightliner chassis has not given me one problem. It is bulletproof. I am a fanatic about maintainence. Change oil in tranny and engine before required. Coach: Very dependable. All original appliances with little or no maintainence done. Replaced uncomfortable couch with 2 recliners. I'm on my 3rd dash heater core that is a new design. Carry a heater hose repair tube to fix while on the road. It not if it leaks but when. I've done many upgrades, TV's, freezer in b'ment etc. Summary: All in all a great coach that I driven in every state (Alaska twice) and most provinces in Canada. Plan to keep it till I can't drive any more. If you have questions PM me and I'll try to answer any questions.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #9

We owned a Winny years ago, and looked at the 32T. For us we found either the 36ft 2 slide, or 39ft 3 slide a better choice. 32 was just a bit to cramped. Alot depends on how much time you intend to spend in it. Good luck shopping.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Kane View Post
Thinking about going to camp freightliner. Is it worth it?

Definitely - a great amount of information and good hand outs. Any & all questions answered that come from the attendees. That said not all the information will relate to your RV but still well worth it - in my opinion.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:51 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
I have an '05 36G Journey w/ a C-7 350hp. It is a great coach. We put a little over 67k miles on it. I have been to Camp Freightliner x2 and had my coach serviced at the factory service center. I have also had numerous upgrades done at the Winnebago factory in Forest City. The number 1 thing I would look for is ANY sign of water intrusion. Particularly on the front and rear end caps. Any foggy windows, etc. You will notice the gutters just below the curve of the roof sides terminate at the drivers' (and passengers' ) window and at the end caps. Check the condition of the caulking in this "gutter". Also look for signs of rub where the slide goes in and out. Inspect underneath the slide when it is out for the condition of the seal on the big slide. Also check the carpet in the bedroom when the slide is out as this is a notorious place for leaks in the '04 to '06 model years.

As far as engine, check for maintenance records. Particularly lift pump and fuel pump maintenance (pressure checks). Also age of unit alone you should be on second set of tires.

Hope this helps.
You got the Journey down good. I am going to remember you for future advice in out new adventures with our new to us 04 Journey 39K with Workhorse chassis, that I finally get to bring back home Thursday. :

The one month I had it for a shakedown I was not at a 100 percent. Now that it is coming home you reminded me of the areas I need to check. Got my creeper and rolling scaffolding for the detailed inspection.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome to the forums, I have learned a ton of useful information and even got some troubleshooting done with the help of the iRV2 members. This is our first DP and Motorhome and the help here is in the words of my granddaughter "AWESOME"!!! (5 years old and she thinks everything is awesome)
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with Bob. Camp Freightliner was one of the best things we did. Mike has each session tailored to those attending. He tells you what applies to your coach. There are substantial differences in engine systems, for instance. My wife even enjoyed it.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, winnebago