Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #1

Opinions on rehabbing this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashgato View Post
Attachment 250033 1988 Holiday Rambler Imperial.
I just saw one of these for sale. Was considering it. But it has one part of the ceiling failing down. No leaks, but the rest of the inside is nice. They only want $3300 for it. How does it ride. Much sway and does this have an air ride unit.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads Toy View Post
I just saw one of these for sale. Was considering it. But it has one part of the ceiling failing down. No leaks, but the rest of the inside is nice. They only want $3300 for it. How does it ride. Much sway and does this have an air ride unit.
Thats a well designed and good manufactured unit.

$3,300.
That would be a very worthwhile Restoration in my opinion.

Look hard if your handy.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads Toy View Post
I had that same exact RV for 17 years, sold it last year. Was a very nice and well built motorhome. Had 117,000 miles on it. Handled very nice on the road. Sway was minimal with the tag axle given the amount of rear over hang. No air ride but had MORryde rubber suspension on tag axle which I replaced because several of the rubber blocks were separating. Had Safe-T-Steer on it when I purchased it and really made a difference in steering and handling. Noticed difference immediately after shop removed it during front end alignment. Reinstalled it immediately. I also had a portion of the ceiling that sagged and separated from the strips that press up into a channel which holds the foam panel ceiling sections in place. I bought some spray adhesive and applied to ceiling and pushed the foam vinyl section back up and reinstalled locking strip. Fortunately I purchased a extended warranty from dealer and got more than my money spent out of it. New radiator, new exhaust manifolds, rear engine seal just to name a few. Things to look at but the price seems more than fair if everything else looks good.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:57 PM   #4

You can barely get a truck to tow a camper for 3k. Be careful on date codes on tires 10yrs are considered done for on a MH.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_H View Post
I had that same exact RV for 17 years, sold it last year. Was a very nice and well built motorhome. Had 117,000 miles on it. Handled very nice on the road. Sway was minimal with the tag axle given the amount of rear over hang. No air ride but had MORryde rubber suspension on tag axle which I replaced because several of the rubber blocks were separating. Had Safe-T-Steer on it when I purchased it and really made a difference in steering and handling. Noticed difference immediately after shop removed it during front end alignment. Reinstalled it immediately. I also had a portion of the ceiling that sagged and separated from the strips that press up into a channel which holds the foam panel ceiling sections in place. I bought some spray adhesive and applied to ceiling and pushed the foam vinyl section back up and reinstalled locking strip. Fortunately I purchased a extended warranty from dealer and got more than my money spent out of it. New radiator, new exhaust manifolds, rear engine seal just to name a few. Things to look at but the price seems more than fair if everything else looks good.
Thanks. That is too cool to find someone that actually owned one of these. It seems like a this could be a nice ride.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
You can barely get a truck to tow a camper for 3k. Be careful on date codes on tires 10yrs are considered done for on a MH.
You know your right about a truck. They are expensive. Tires are my main concern. i don't want to have that cost starting out the gate.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:34 PM   #7

Use thin wood battens across the ceiling, screwed into place, to hold that ceiling cover material up. Done carefully it won't look bad. You will never, ever, glue that material back up because the foam backing is rotten.

Assume tires, brakes, a trans fluid change along with of course the engine and generator oil changes, filters etc.