Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2020, 09:07 AM   #1

Opinions please: 2015 Bounder 35K (Great condition 21,000 miles Vs.2018 Precept 35U

We have narrowed our search down to a couple of Class A Motor coach's (Gas). A 2015 Fleetwood Bounder with just over 21,000 miles on it, in immaculate condition with many extras ($83,900), or, a 2018 Jayco Precept 35U with 7,000 miles on it, in Like new condition ($89,000). Anyone have an opinion on these two coach's that they can offer to help us decide?
Eric and Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bounder but be sure and change tires.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:19 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally, I’d go with the Bounder. The 35k is a nice floor plan. The Fleetwood I’ve looked at seem to be nice rigs. The Jaycos seem to be “cheaper” somehow.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:17 AM   #4

Bounder. I've got the 35k. 2018 year. great machine.
meebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:47 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing to be aware of, the 2015 Bounder will have a 5 speed transmission, while the 2018 Jayco will have the later 6 speed which was used since 2016. I have no personal experience with the Ford Chassis, but from everything I’ve read, the 6 speed makes for a much nicer overall drive quality. Personally, I’d probably still go with the Fleetwood.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #6

We have a coach with the 5 speed transmission. I would not let that stop me from buying because its fine even in the mountains on 9% grades. We pass trucks uphill all the time. I too would probably pick the Bounder over a Precept.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:27 PM   #7

Last winter I got inside a new 2020 Jayco Precept 31UL. I really liked the floor plan but was not impressed with the overall quality of the unit. Without seeing the Fleetwood, I would guess that it would be somewhat higher in quality. So my recommendation would be the Fleetwood.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:29 PM   #8

I vote Bounder. Also be sure to compare tire sizes.. for a rig that size you want 22.5 (semi) tires.

Also do the math for the wheelBase. Here is a formula for recommended wheelbase to length.

Should be as close to or above 53 to handle properly.
Take the wheelbase in inches and divide by the motor home length in inches.

Here is an example for a Bounder 35k
WBase=228 inches
Length=36ft 3in = 435 inches
228/435=.5241

Some Jayco Precept have 190in wheelbase instead of 228in and this lowers the value to about .49. This may be why some claim it wonders on interstate. Jayco tried to fix this with swaybars. They did go to longer wheelbase in later years.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:41 AM   #9

ALWAYS ALWAYS buy a coach with the better chassis - but your 2 choices are new so only 1 choice - ford.

Older models had a choice, some up to 3 diff brand chassis, ford, workhorse, and maybe a UFO (diesel or gas workhorse adaptable chassis), winnebago for instance the ford was std but the workhorse was extra $ and sometimes they had 2 diff workhorse chassis, a W24 for instance is even more - $$, higher capacity chassis including higher rated 6 speed transmission).

Second, buy the one with a NON rubber roof, they are fine, for a while but can be torn by branches (a fiberglass or metal maybe would not) and such and will eventually chalk badly, and need recoating, not so cheap - $3-4k.

but if this is a 5yr and sell deal, then get what you like best and enjoy !

If for the long run, buy a diesel pusher, higher capacity chassis and interiors can be about the same quality.

The price range you are speaking, lots of slightly older DPs should be available.

Use RVTRADER (use advance search and can set state and pertinent requirements such as # of slides, etc) as well as ebay and craigs list to look.

The mh i bought was listed in 5 diff rv sell sites, if you see the same mh for sale in multiple sites, the owner is motivated and can likely get a lower sale price !!!!

And if you are a bit scared of a non dealer/warranty sale, buy a aftermkt warranty that will cover 'most' things - but likely not everything, not so cheap but a nice piece of mind !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric and Mel View Post
We have narrowed our search down to a couple of Class A Motor coach's (Gas). A 2015 Fleetwood Bounder with just over 21,000 miles on it, in immaculate condition with many extras ($83,900), or, a 2018 Jayco Precept 35U with 7,000 miles on it, in Like new condition ($89,000). Anyone have an opinion on these two coach's that they can offer to help us decide?
SmilingSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:57 AM   #10

I'm a little late to the discussion, I had a new 2016 Preceipt 35U, It was nice, but I did not know until after I purchased it that much of living compartment and all of the under dash structure is made of wood and not much steel at all. I felt like I was driving a wooden box down the road, and I felt a little unsafe, it bothered me over time so I ended up trading it off and buying a new Wiinne Adventurer the next year.
MAC 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder