Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2020, 09:27 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Per a very credible source in the repair and service sector: Cat got (nearly?) out of the highway engine business some years ago and service facilities are few and far between especially since Cat's software is very expensive to independent garages. Cummins repair facilities are everywhere. Same source said Cats are much more expensive to work on. No suggestion here which brand is more reliable or trouble-free.
Urban Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2020, 10:07 PM   #16

Both Cat and Cummins make good and not so good motors. In my opinion making sure you have a good one is more important than the choice between these two iconic American brands. For example, we have a C12, and this is a very reliable motor. Some of the other models had issues in certain years. You will need to do research when you get down to choosing a coach. Cummins has had similar problems.

Also very important in the coach you get is do not get an undersized motor. We have some close friends that owned a Camelot with a motor that was too small. It overheated when going up long upgrades.

I have owned both Cat and Cummins stock for years. Cat is twice the size company as Cummins. There are lots more Cat dealers than Cummins. We have owned a coach with a Cat for 10 1/2 years. We have yet to find a Cat dealer in many parts of the US that would not help us when needed. And we have had very few issues of any kind with our motor. But both Cat and Cummins make good products. Just some motors of theirs are better than others.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
A quqlified opinion.

In 22 years we are on our 5th coach. The first one was a Gulf Stream just to see how we would like the RV life, and it was a go.! The next was a Winnebago product (Itasca) a few feet longer. After that we stayed with Itasca as we liked the quality and reliability. Next to 35" Adventurer's (Still all Workhorse Gassers.
Now the jump to Diesel Itasca Horizon (Cat) diesel and now to Itasca Meridian with a Cummins Disel.
We are travelers, in as much as we travel 10 to 12 thousand miles each year, we put a lot of miles on each coach. out current coach is a 2011 40U (No tag axel) and has 75000 miles. We purchased in 2015 used with 12000 miles. Reason for the 2011 is, it is the last year before "Schwintech" took over all the slide-out systems and caused a multitude of system failures. Most all coaches made between 2012 and 2019 have slide problems and anyone with knowledge would avoid these coaches. We have had use with both Cat and Cummins and prefer the latter. Current coach with Cummins is actually getting 9 to 10 MPG. We have had "NO" system failures and have done only normal maintenance. Just installed 6 new 295/75/22.5 Toyo tires and 6 new AGM batteries. This coach is and has stayed in perfect condition

lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:46 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Of those choices, the Revolution and Camelot are, I think, head & shoulders better than the Knight. Not just more amenities, but better quality cabinetry, upholstery, floor coverings, heftier chassis, etc. There is a reason those two are higher priced models than the Knight. I'm not knocking the Knight, but the others are superior to it.

Revolution vs Camelot is a Ford/Chevy kind of debate. There are things to like about both and some (many?) of those are just personal preference.

Personally I lean toward the Cummins but don't see engine brand as a decision factor. Service is widely available for either brand, even though Cat doesn't sell on-road engines any more.

I've learned some things about the garage owner who turned me off of Cats since I posted here. He and I don't do business any more.
Urban Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:16 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Cat or Cummins??? I made a lot of money with Cat heavy equipment and in 2004 tried to find another Beaver/Cat. Fortunately I ended up with a Monaco Dynasty/ Cummins. The bigger Cummins of that era did NOT meet the emission standards but they had offsetting credits from the 5.9. Cat didn’t have a small diesel (different standard) so they had to actually meet the standards with their Acert engines but the bigger the Cat Acert, the bigger the problems. I would not buy a rig with a big Cat Acert engine. Google “ Cat Acert C13 C15 engine problems”...
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:41 AM   #20

In the year range you're looking at don't discount the American Coach Tradition. It's very similar to the Revolution and you can pick one up for not much more or about the same as a Revolution.

Sister to the Camelot I believe was the Holiday Rambler Scepter and Diplomat and sister was the HR Endeavor.

Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:34 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for your opinions, We have tentatively purchased a 2006 Monaco Camelot 40ft no tag 400 Cummins. As truck drivers we do like the older Cats,however we felt there would be less support mechanically out on the road in a motorcoach. I'm a DIY'er and can handle just about anything externally on either engine .
With that being said Monaco owners forums and here we come..lol Thank you all again.
C and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:24 AM   #22

The Camelot was on our short list of motor homes when looking. Just have the chassis and house inspected and if all goes well, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The ISL Cummins is rock solid just make sure yours is not on the list of engines that had wrist pin issues. They were in that time frame. If the coach has >80,000 miles your probably OK, but easy to find with engine serial number.
Both sold
Old 05-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Cat or Cummins??? I made a lot of money with Cat heavy equipment and in 2004 tried to find another Beaver/Cat. Fortunately I ended up with a Monaco Dynasty/ Cummins. The bigger Cummins of that era did NOT meet the emission standards but they had offsetting credits from the 5.9. Cat didn’t have a small diesel (different standard) so they had to actually meet the standards with their Acert engines but the bigger the Cat Acert, the bigger the problems. I would not buy a rig with a big Cat Acert engine. Google “ Cat Acert C13 C15 engine problems”...
Hi Ivylog - I would agree that I would look in another direction if its a 2007 Smog Level C-13 or C-15. But the earlier ACERT engines before the 2007 smog level, I feel are no more risky then the Cummins ISM or ISX of that era (Which both had teething pains from the rapidly changing smog regulations from 2004 thru 2007. Ugly Fix comes to mind for the ISM.)

So, now that I shared that thought, would it be the 2007 Smog Level ACERT's that you were referring too? And yes lots of info on Google about those engines... (Though I've talked to an owner with a C-13 2007 Smog Level engine, and he said after a few years of reprogramming changes from CAT, his has now been a good runner for him too. Though he does recommend pre 2007 Smog Level C-13's to his friends!

The C-9's are a good running engine, very comparable to the Cummins ISL in power and torque. Yes, parts a usually a bit more expensive, and not to knock Cummins - rightfully so, as I feel they build a better parts. (Cummins of today, is not Cumins of even the 1990's and earlier... Way too much outsourcing and less then stringent control then other companies seem to do.) And I concur with Bob that the C-12 is a well sorted out, and mature in the early 2000's, engine.

No question that Cummins are easier to get serviced, but many good CAT shops still around, that will work on RV's...

OP. I would not walk away from a coach with either a CAT or Cummins engine in it, IF the coach was what you felt best met your need. Agree to the Side Radiator, which I believe both of these coaches had. C-7's and ISB's if in a sub 40' coach, will get the job done. But personally I like the Mid Size ISC/ISL's (Nod to ISL as they often have Jake Compression Brake Assist.) and CAT C-9 for DP once they get up over 36'.

If the Monaco has the need of the halo ring, and it has not been done, I would move on...

Bets of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:31 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Timjet,75000 miles, Smitty77, I had asked about windshield owner has only replaced windshield once due to big rock. Was the halo ring a recall ,or is there a physical way I can check to see if ring has been installed? We are going to Texas to pick up week of may 24th.
I can get serial number and check before we go,where would I go to check for any recalls or other issues, Monaco site?
C and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:09 AM   #25

Cummins ISL wrist pin serial #'s: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isl...ge-180891.html

Call fleetwood about Monoco recalls with VIN#. Call chassis maker for recalls. Call Cummins with engine serial # for engine recalls.

All easy to do and suggest you do before funds exchange.
Both sold