Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Opinions wanted

Hello all,we out grew our gasser, wanting opinions on a couple different coaches. We are looking at 2007-2009 .Fleetwood Reveloution vs Monaco Camelot / Knight 38-40 ft and also Cat vs Cummins. No fighting please just some opinions, I have my own but would like a few from seasoned DP owners. All welcome. Thanks
C and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
my gasser is 39ft so you could still get a gasser. floor plan is key. out of the coaches you are looking at the Fleetwood Reveloution would be my choice for floor plan, the cummings over the cat
Old 05-04-2020, 12:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I prefer IFS and Side Radiator. The DW makes the choice of floor plan.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
my gasser is 39ft so you could still get a gasser. floor plan is key. out of the coaches you are looking at the Fleetwood Reveloution would be my choice for floor plan, the cummings over the cat
Hey Robert, our floor plan is great ,we are moving up because of weight matters,gasser generally only have 5000 tow rating and our coach is 26000 GCWR ,currently we are over 29000 without water or food. Just not enough bones there to support us. I know my trailer is a little heavy at 6200 but even without trailer we would be over the 22000 we are rated at. If was just a little heavy trailer we could deal with it,however we aren't fully loaded and still close to or over what Winnebago has rated,just don't work for us.
Thanks to this forum I have learned so much from many hours of reading and research I feel confident we are making the right choices for our safety and the safety of our fellow travelers. We love our Winnebago but we don't want to start our full time adventure naked , starved,and a few ammenities..lol
Old 05-04-2020, 12:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I should have stated ,I'm wanting opinions on construction of structure , reliability and different engine types, not floor plans. No offense .
Old 05-04-2020, 01:19 PM   #6

While Cats are good motors, as I understand thel left the OTR business several years ago. Personally I like Cummins better.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by C and C View Post
I guess I should have stated ,I'm wanting opinions on construction of structure , reliability and different engine types, not floor plans. No offense .
For these considerations I like Newmar. Construction is better than most and engines are typically bigger for the same size rigs. Also I lean towards Cummins and while some older Newmars are Cat powered, most are Cummins. Also interior, furniture, and cabinet construction have always been very good in Newmar rigs - even gassers like my little 2010 Bay Star are very well built.

Go here for specs and construction:

https://www.newmarcorp.com/owner-too...hures-archive/

They show a “peeled apart” view so you know exactly how it’s built ( framing, insulation, materials) and provide chassis specs and list options so you can research any rig in question. And of course you can look at floor plans as well.

Comfort drive started with minor exception in 2008, and it became adjustable in 2009, so that would play into my decision. Also they used Spartan Chassis until 2010 or 2011 even on Ventana and Kountry Star. So my window would be 2008-2010 with preference to 2009-2010.

But if you’re looking at 38-40’ Dutch Star would probably be the way to go, although the 39’ Kountry Star was available with a 400hp on a Spartan Chassis and there are always a few of those available at a decent price. Look for the high option, special order units.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:10 PM   #8

Given the choices you listed, Newmar as others indicate is likely the best. I have had both a cummins and a cat and I personally prefer the cat. It’s strong, solid, and durable for long distance hauls on flat and mountainous terrain. OBTW.... recommend you seek out a side radiator to allow easy access to the motor. Good Luck!
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Sorry, but for Full Time, non of the ones you listed... get a 42’ with tag and Cummins... OK, a 40’ with tag. Over the last 16 summers we stay mainly in public CGs and it’s actually gotten easier to find sites big enough.

Monaco bought a bunch of extra 06 engines... my 08 has a 06 without DPFilter.
2006 was the last year for the Windsor and replaced by Camelot... both have aluminum house structure bolted to the Roadmaster (outboard airbags) chassis. 06 (maybe 07) Camelot’s had windshield breaking problems because the front cap was not supported well enough. If the corners of the windshield has almost right angle corners it’s the one with the problem. Some had a halo kit added that increased the number of supports.

A Dynasty and above will have a all steel welded structure, side radiator, with 10K of CCC and a 10K hitch. A 40’ Dynasty (after 02) will have a tag axle and a solid front axle. The original Monaco ( up to 2009) never went to IFS.

Here is a recent thread on a tag or not... once you’ve had one you will NOT go back. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/to-...ag-486409.html

I do not know anything about Newmar.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:17 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Craig & Cheryl:

Having previously owned both a Fleetwood and a Monaco, I think you'll find the tech, fit and finish of the latter to be the superior choice.

My 2 cents...
Old 05-05-2020, 10:43 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ivylog,what is a halo kit. We have set our sights on a 06 Monaco Camelot, 40ft 400 cum-a-part(as we call them in the trucker world) with side radiator, 1 owner with all records. Fingers crossed,our last rig...lol
Old 05-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAndPeg View Post
Hi Craig & Cheryl:

Having previously owned both a Fleetwood and a Monaco, I think you'll find the tech, fit and finish of the latter to be the superior choice.

My 2 cents...
Thank you Tom & Peg, we did
Old 05-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Of those choices, the Revolution and Camelot are, I think, head & shoulders better than the Knight. Not just more amenities, but better quality cabinetry, upholstery, floor coverings, heftier chassis, etc. There is a reason those two are higher priced models than the Knight. I'm not knocking the Knight, but the others are superior to it.

Revolution vs Camelot is a Ford/Chevy kind of debate. There are things to like about both and some (many?) of those are just personal preference.

Personally I lean toward the Cummins but don't see engine brand as a decision factor. Service is widely available for either brand, even though Cat doesn't sell on-road engines any more.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:23 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by C and C View Post
Ivylog,what is a halo kit.
Monaco added to some 06 Camelot’s additional bracing to help support the front cap that was flexing and breaking windshields. Rigs that had the problem had this windshield with right angle corners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F7790FDF-3E57-451A-B6D7-9563D062F10C.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	284280  
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote