Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 05:18 AM   #15

Our's is 31 feet and can go most anywhere. I once had a 33 ft unit and could go most anywhere as well. I have been to a few state parks here in SC That were difficult to get into, and some that we had to pass up.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 05:48 AM   #16

Regarding length and a chance to do it over again? I don't think I would be real interested in anything much bigger than what we have.

I agree with the earlier comment regarding driving experience, coupled with a sense of awareness? Many times I've thought to myself that this is no place to be getting used to a big coach. Never look forward to 20 miles of twisting narrow mountain road.

Ours is a 38, and used almost exclusively at Federal/State/County parks. For planning purposes (reservations), we use 35'. If somebody can get in there with a 35' we can get in there with our 38.

Also, regarding places we've never been, especially if it's looking like an older campground when we arrive, we stop at the check in station, and drop our toad. The MH is left in the parking lot until we go back to the campsite with the toad after a stop at the check in desk. On the way back, we'll be noting low trees and tight corners, as well as having a chance to check out the campsite (how level is generally the key factor). Generally, all is a go, and we scoot right in without incident - with the confidence gained by having been there with the toad once already.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:42 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Part of the problem at parks w/o a reservation system are that there may only be a handfull of large sites. They will get taken by tenters and pop tops that like the added privacy of a 50' - 60' site. We like to boondock but it can be a little risky w/o reservations.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:25 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Optimal length for State and National Parks

We camp a lot in Oregon state parks as well as some in Washington and some county parks. Our most common are: Devil's Lake, Champoeg, Stub Stewart, Milo McIver, South Beach, Beverly Beach, Fort Stevens, In fact I am in Harris Beach SP in Brookings at the moment as well as was at Honeyman and Bullard's Beach over the weekend. Each time I see a lot of rigs including big ones.

For us, our goal is to stay under 25 feet. This also opens up more day use options. Two of the sites on our current trip would have been difficult to put something over 30 feet in them, one would be impossible. Our Yosemite site next week is 24 feet and my rig is 24. I would be driving 35 miles in each day if I was any bigger. We find many places that others cannot go due to spots already taken that are longer, so we are glad that ours is shorter. If you book well in advance, your options of course are greater, except for Yosemite where I booked at the exact moment the sites became available and they all sold out in 5 minutes. I was glad to get the site I have and had 3 computers going at once to get it.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:25 AM   #19

There have been some good logical responses - indicating there is no one size that everybody is comfortable with. Our MH is 29 ft., but towing our race car trailer brings our total length to 52 ft. so we also like longer sites. A good scheme I have found is to view a potential campground in Google Earth (Not Google Maps). This has a measuring function in the tool bar, and you can measure the campsite length to determine if your RV length will fit.

Of course, there is the issue of a campground actually giving you the specific site you reserved. In 2012, we drove across the country for a car convention anticipating the 50 ft. site I had viewed, reserved, and confirmed at the Wine County RV Park but were proudly led to a 30 ft. back in. This was by far the nearest campground to our activity, so some relatively harsh words were used before we we were finally shoehorned into a long pull-through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
...Also, regarding places we've never been, especially if it's looking like an older campground when we arrive, we stop at the check in station, and drop our toad. The MH is left in the parking lot until we go back to the campsite with the toad after a stop at the check in desk. On the way back, we'll be noting low trees and tight corners, as well as having a chance to check out the campsite (how level is generally the key factor). Generally, all is a go, and we scoot right in without incident - with the confidence gained by having been there with the toad once already.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:22 AM   #20

Allfish - Is your intent to full-time, or weekend warrior?

If full-time, do as mentioned and find a lay out of a coach that you both like. IMO, for full-time, a 40-42' is the sweet spot on length.

If weekend warrior, and extended vacations, without the need to pull a heavy toad or trailer full of toys. I'd do the 34-36' in a gasser.

As mentioned, much depends upon where you intend to use the coach. Generally, East has smaller parks then the West.

We have a 40', but for making reservations I use 38', and have never found a '38' site that we could not get into with our 40'. We have a tag, so our turning radius is much tighter then many 36' coaches without a tag. (The drive wheels are moved forward with tag chassis, so that with IFS, allows for a pretty tight turning radius for us.) Yes, the rear end needs to e watched - but as mentioned, have a good system set up between driver and spotter, and that works out OK.

I've also stopped at parks that have a 36' restriction on reservations. Asked the Ranger or person at the front gate, if I could drive thru the campground with my toad, and see if I can find a spot I felt I could fit into safely. Only one said no, and I'd say that probably 70% of the times when they said yes - I found a place to park our coach, and do so safely. Many times, when the park does not have large boulders or other barriers up to stop you while backing in, we just over hung the rear. Oh, and these were combo's of State, and local County, and National Parks that we prefer to stay in.

I'd say we've probably had 10 times where we could not stay in a park that we wanted to, due to size. And each of those, we found a private RV Park within a 30 min radius or less, so that we could end up going back in our toad to enjoy the park.

Also as mentioned, planning properly, and networking on forums like this with those that have been down this road ahead of you - will provide good info help in your planning.

So, for at least 95% of our travels, including a trip to Alaska last year, we've not feel we've been inconvenienced by being 40'. And let me tell you, when on the road for several months in coach with less room and carrying capacity - you could feel inconvenienced many more times then the 5% where we had to go elsewhere!

Best to you on your decision, and search,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national