Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2019, 06:42 AM   #1

Option for leveling pads

Hi, I’m new to the site but we have been full-timing for four years. We purchased a Class A pusher last year and we have been researching leveling pads. I was quite fortunate Wednesday when I contacted Bill at Prime Tech in Roswell Georgia. They produce leveling pads for cranes and other equipment. He stated that they have a pallet of 32”x32”x1.5” rejected material. I drove the two hours to their facility and was impressed with their customer service and honesty. Bill cut a sheet of the material to make us four 16”x16” pads. Total cost $50!

Just for clarification, this material is UHDPE which is what the competitors use for their products. It was rejected due to cosmetic issues (white flakes in the product). All you'll have to do is attach some handles. We would’ve paid around $300 for these if we’d have ordered them on line.

If you’re interested please call them and they can ship. I told Bill that I’d tell everyone, so please tell them Scott told you! Their phone number is
770-594-8608
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2019, 06:54 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
About how much do you think the pads all together weight? Trying to get a feel what my shipping costs might be if I choose to buy.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #3

They are around 10-12 lbs ea.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #4

Scott,
Another Scott here. If I may, I'd like to issue you a word of caution here. I'm a retired fireman and, I had an overtime assignment for years, outfitting brand new fire trucks, in prep for service. And in those years, we used MILES of UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) plastic for many, many shelves, brackets, braces, guides and more in the compartments of our trucks. Without a doubt, it's a seriously tough product. We later changed to HDPE. (High Density Poly Ethylene) due to the fact that the cost of UHMW was twice as high as HDPE but, HDPE would do just fine for our application. HDPE is what almost 100% of your cutting boards are made of.

Now, what I was going to caution you about is, be very, very careful when using that UHMW in relation to SLOPE!!!!! UHMW is by nature, very, very slippery with GREAT properties for very low friction. That's a primary reason NASA and other high end industry use it. But, that low friction, in the case of your application, COULD cause a serious problem.

And that is, if your whole camp/RV site is unlevel, it is highly possible all four of your jacks could SLIDE at the same time to the low side. Now, just how much slope or, degree of slope would you need for this to happen, well, that's hard to tell. Once a mass of weight begins to slide, due to low friction, that degree of slope might be very slight.

We, on the FD were also offered UHMW and other high impact plastics for the stabilizer pads for our aerial ladder trucks. We tested quite a few. And we tested on flat ground and varying slopes. The landing pads that were attached to each outrigger were pivotal in both directions so, they would adapt to uneven surfaces, based on pads that were placed below them.

But, on even a few degree slope, we found our aerial trucks actually slide sideways or, whatever the direction of the slope was, once the tires lost contact with the ground. And that was a major key. Now, about 99.999999% of us that use jacks are smart enough to not raise the rigs off the ground enough to have all 6 or even 8 tires off the ground so, that's a given with us.

But, my point is, just be careful and cognizant of the reduced friction of those new pads. Good luck and have fun.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #5

Thanks for the advise Scott! I noticed that it was very,very, slippery when I purchased it. Mike was showing me a technique to abrade the surface so that they become “less slippery”. I’ll still have to mess with them prior to use. You have a valid point and I sincerely appreciate your input. Have a nice weekend.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:33 AM   #6

I needed a set in a hurry so I bought a 4X8 sheet of 3/4 exterior plywood, cut it into 16" squares and fastened them together with 2 of them 4 high and 2 of them 5 high . (total 3" and 4 1/4") The weight is 13.2# each on the short ones and 16.4# on the taller ones. The cost for the set was $35.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:33 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogman View Post
They are around 10-12 lbs ea.
Between potential shipping and base cost to much for my budget. I'll keep my 12" x 12" wood plank sandwiches I made from leftover decking for the time being.

Tags
leveling