Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 11:07 PM   #43
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mike Thompson has ALWAYS been shady. In 2005 we were looking at a new Diplomat or Winnebago Vectra. Mike Thompson had one in stock. We went to the Santa Fe Springs store and asked to see the Vectra. They had it at another store about an hour away. The salesman asked if we were going to buy that day. I told him we haven't even seen one yet. He came back a few minutes later and told us the coach was sold and we couldn't look at it.

His name was Chance and we NEVER went back and told everyone we knew to skip them. A month later we bought a new Diplomat. For several years after that, old Chance would show up at the Pomona RV Show in the Mike Thompson sales area. We would always go in, act like we were interested, ask for Chance and then tell him what a punk he was.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 08:05 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuppert View Post
They need full payment to order the coach because they do not have a floodplain account anymore. Buy from someone in a better financial position.
Do you know this as a fact, or are you just speculating this may be the reason for the OPs situation?
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
Join TRVN forum and you'll find a lot of recommendations for Tiffin dealers around the country. My understanding is you can expect around 27% off MSRP without any hassle. Don't be afraid to fly in to pick up a new coach. Davis and Sherman are two dealers close to Red Bay that seem to give some of the best deals and receive many positive reviews. Also Lazydays in Tampa is competitive. Many buyers pick up their coach at the dealer then drive to Red Bay factory to correct any delivery glitches. Read up on TRVN. Happy hunting.

I never ever found Lazy Days in Sneffer to be close to competitive.....We tried on 2 different occasions to buy from them...once a Monaco Dynasty and then the American.....bought both times at a considerable difference in their price...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #46

Quote:
Many buyers pick up their coach at the dealer then drive to Red Bay factory to correct any delivery glitches.
So the factory delivers the faulty MH to the dealer, the dealer does nothing, the buyer does the fault-finding and then drives the MH back to the factory to fix stuff that shouldn't have ever happened.

Strange system.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with the other replies. Send the dealership in question a regestered letter to cease all action regarding the new coach purchase. It should say:
effective immediately.
You should never have to pay for a product unless you can inspect it, test drive it, review all the build sheets to ensure the product was built as per your wishes.
Any problems have your lawyer contact them directly.
This is very interesting and please let us know how you make out.
bigdonedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
"....His name was Chance and we NEVER went back and told everyone we knew to skip them. A month later we bought a new Diplomat. For several years after that, old Chance would show up at the Pomona RV Show in the Mike Thompson sales area. We would always go in, act like we were interested, ask for Chance and then tell him what a punk he was..."

Now that is damn funny, Don! ROFL!!!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
So the factory delivers the faulty MH to the dealer, the dealer does nothing, the buyer does the fault-finding and then drives the MH back to the factory to fix stuff that shouldn't have ever happened.

Strange system.

I agree Tony. That is why I buy used and let the original owner work out the problems and take the massive depreciation hit.

Strange system, indeed!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Mike Thompson has ALWAYS been shady. In 2005 we were looking at a new Diplomat or Winnebago Vectra. Mike Thompson had one in stock. We went to the Santa Fe Springs store and asked to see the Vectra. They had it at another store about an hour away. The salesman asked if we were going to buy that day. I told him we haven't even seen one yet. He came back a few minutes later and told us the coach was sold and we couldn't look at it.

His name was Chance and we NEVER went back and told everyone we knew to skip them. A month later we bought a new Diplomat. For several years after that, old Chance would show up at the Pomona RV Show in the Mike Thompson sales area. We would always go in, act like we were interested, ask for Chance and then tell him what a punk he was.
I see you are pulling a Chev Silverado crew cab . Is it a 4x4? I have a very low mileage 2008 chev sileverado crew cab 4x4 automatic but can't find out is I can pull it behind my diesel pusher. Advice?
bigdonedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdonedmon View Post
I see you are pulling a Chev Silverado crew cab . Is it a 4x4? I have a very low mileage 2008 chev sileverado crew cab 4x4 automatic but can't find out is I can pull it behind my diesel pusher. Advice?
We've pulled a 2007 Extended Cab Silverado, automatic, 4 X 4 for about 30.000 miles behind three different pushers. 300, 350 and 450 all did fine as did the Chevy. We had caliper issues about two years ago, but we don't know if it was due to the towing.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
We were very satisfied with or dealings at Lazy Days, but we know others have not been. They beat all the other prices when we started to walk. Maybe they were just hungry that day.

Also there has been a lot of discussion about delivery issues in other threads. You should go through the delivery process and live in the coach (LD let us) BEFORE you pay the balance. Then be sure all punch list items are fixed before you write the check or sign the papers.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuppert
They need full payment to order the coach because they do not have a floodplain account anymore. Buy from someone in a better financial position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Do you know this as a fact, or are you just speculating this may be the reason for the OPs situation?
I don't know about these guys losing their floorplan, but Bob Tiffin personally told me that the dealer had to pay in full before the coach left the factory.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Any dealer, be it autos, MH's, boats the factory is paid in full be it a percentage on order, production, shipping, acceptance or cash on shipping. This dealer either does not have a line of credit, it is reduced due to inventory they already have based on sales or they don't want to use the credit line and want to sit on the customers money for months.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post

Strange system.
No truer words were ever spoken.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdonedmon View Post

I went to my Chevrolet dealer and asked them about my 2005 Silverado 4x4. They went and looked it up in their books and told me I could tow it. They went into the computer system and printed out the details of how to do it. What fuses to pull etc. Try asking your dealer. I do not tow mine because I have a 3/4 ton duramax and it is a bit heavy. My wife also prefers we tow the Buick Enclave but your Chevrolet dealer can tell you for sure about your truck .
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, tiffin