Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #57

Interesting. Mike Thompson has three dealerships that I've been to, and they are all very different. The first one I went to was the Santa Fe Springs. I didn't like the salesman at all, and was getting rushed, even though I told the salesman that I wasn't ready to buy. On my way out a sales manager cornered us and gave us the third degree. I felt like I was being questioned by a cop. We left. About six months later I went to a show at the Fountain Valley location. Totally different experience. Nice sales people, no pressure, decent selection and prices. A couple of months later we bought a new Georgetown 328 from the Colton location. Took delivery about thee months ago. I was treated well by those guys. No funny stuff, although they did push me pretty hard to buy the extended warranty. I didn't. I can't fault them too much for that. I've had the same thing from every car dealer I've bought from. I expected all kinds of problems with the coach after reading these forums for months preceding my purchase. There was one problem we had....found during the PDI. Fixed before we left. Beyond that, everything is good. I would buy from the Colton Mike Thompson store again. Hope they aren't having financial problems. I would not go back to the Santa Fe Springs store again for anything, and by the way that store is closest to my house.
Scarsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I went to my Chevrolet dealer and asked them about my 2005 Silverado 4x4. They went and looked it up in their books and told me I could tow it. They went into the computer system and printed out the details of how to do it. What fuses to pull etc. Try asking your dealer. I do not tow mine because I have a 3/4 ton duramax and it is a bit heavy. My wife also prefers we tow the Buick Enclave but your Chevrolet dealer can tell you for sure about your truck .
I pull my 07 3/4 ton Duramax CC Long Bed, so far about 2K miles no problems. You do know it is back there compared to a compact, but it's paid for and like the truck.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #59

When I keep reading about people having problems dealing on a new coach and then having to head back to the manufacturer for corrections, makes even happier that we deal at Kings Campers in Wausau, WI. They can and will correct anything that Tiffin can except roof rails. Their pre-delivery is very thorough and we have very few items to correct. We deal on the phone from 1800 miles away and no down pmt is required. We trust each other to do the right thing. I ran our business the same way. Maybe it is the mid-west ethics, but I could do quarter million dollar deals on a hand shake and picked up the payment when the project was done. Sometimes a contract wasn't written until payment was due. We were never "Burned" in 20 years. Our son has it now, and he has doubled the volume in four years operating the same way. Not with every customer, but several. Coming from a small WI community, we grew up trusting the people we dealt with. Sorry to rant, but I'm afraid those days are a part of history and not enough people just wanting to do the right thing.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #60

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I have said for years, if you sell at a fair price, provide excellent customer service, you will rule over your competition.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #61

Mike Thompson is a rip off RUN RUN RUN
ImperialRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #62

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
So the factory delivers the faulty MH to the dealer, the dealer does nothing, the buyer does the fault-finding and then drives the MH back to the factory to fix stuff that shouldn't have ever happened.

Strange system.
You can say that again. Stinks.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:06 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
So the factory delivers the faulty MH to the dealer, the dealer does nothing, the buyer does the fault-finding and then drives the MH back to the factory to fix stuff that shouldn't have ever happened.

Strange system.
But that is what can happen when you buy from a dealer based on price alone. You might get the lowest initial cost, but you can pay for it later in wasted trips and expense. That's why I buy from a "Full Service" dealer at a "Fair price". In eleven years of Tiffin ownership, I was back to the factory one time for something my dealer could have fixed, but we were going by Red Bay on a trip anyway.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
But that is what can happen when you buy from a dealer based on price alone. You might get the lowest initial cost, but you can pay for it later in wasted trips and expense. That's why I buy from a "Full Service" dealer at a "Fair price". In eleven years of Tiffin ownership, I was back to the factory one time for something my dealer could have fixed, but we were going by Red Bay on a trip anyway.
I agree that the choice of a quality dealer can make a huge difference in the delivery experience, BUT.....What constitutes a "fair price" is subjective, at best.

Example: if the dealer's gross margin is ONLY 10% on a new coach sale, with today's MSRPs running into $300-400K for a decent DP, do you really think they "need" $30-40,000 per coach to cover their associated costs and keep the doors open?
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:46 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I agree that the choice of a quality dealer can make a huge difference in the delivery experience, BUT.....What constitutes a "fair price" is subjective, at best.

Example: if the dealer's gross margin is ONLY 10% on a new coach sale, with today's MSRPs running into $300-400K for a decent DP, do you really think they "need" $30-40,000 per coach to cover their associated costs and keep the doors open?
Depends on how many they sell and what extra services they provide I guess.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #66

tkkopp
Here's a top rated Tiffin dealer: King's Campers, Wisconsin's Most Trusted RV Dealer
see also: http://www.stevenspointjournal.com/a...eader-RV-world
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
When I keep reading about people having problems dealing on a new coach and then having to head back to the manufacturer for corrections, makes even happier that we deal at Kings Campers in Wausau, WI. They can and will correct anything that Tiffin can except roof rails. Their pre-delivery is very thorough and we have very few items to correct. We deal on the phone from 1800 miles away and no down pmt is required. We trust each other to do the right thing. I ran our business the same way. Maybe it is the mid-west ethics, but I could do quarter million dollar deals on a hand shake and picked up the payment when the project was done. Sometimes a contract wasn't written until payment was due. We were never "Burned" in 20 years. Our son has it now, and he has doubled the volume in four years operating the same way. Not with every customer, but several. Coming from a small WI community, we grew up trusting the people we dealt with. Sorry to rant, but I'm afraid those days are a part of history and not enough people just wanting to do the right thing.
That's the old way and the way it should be. A man's word is his bond. Unfortunately greed and some lawyers have got in the way of good old fashioned honesty.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Call your credit card company right now and tell them to cancel that payment and explain what has happened. YOU need to get them involved immediately

Tell them you signed a contract to order a new motor home with payment to be made june 23 for full amount. Dealer has not ordered the motor home and now is changing the terms of the contract. Tell them you need them to get that money refunded. DO NOT WAIT
this what we did when we found the dealer not holding up to the contract, after first week
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #69

Some state that Lazydays does not provide the lowest possible price. True, but they provide many other services with the deal - true one stop shopping, a facility capable of doing all the dealer can. We have purchased several coaches from them, and I used to say it was the only dealer I would return to, but I have now also returned to Lichtsinn several times. I would recommend either.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #70

Freightliner Owners Club
Can't believe Tiffin would do business with a dealer having this type of policy. Plenty of other dealers will take your business and treat you much better
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, tiffin