Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2021, 12:53 PM   #29

Hi Ed,

Congratulations! I know how long and hard you have been considering what your next Coach would be. I think you have made the best choice possible. I know that if my finances allowed I would buy a Newell and never second guess myself for doing so.

Since you're buying a new Coach, your best resource will be to work closely with their engineering and design department. My career was spent designing nuclear submarines, which share more than one might think with motorhome design. They both have complex electrical, piping and mechanical systems that have stringent space requirements, yet they need to be accessible for both routine maintenance, and repairs both minor and major. Moving components requires complex structural anaysis for stress factors. the frame and component foundations need to be strong, yet flexible. Too stiff, and they fail catastrophically when tensile or yield properties are exceeded.

The best way to ensure your needs are met in this regard is through 3 dimensional design tools that allow the designer to manipulate the various components and structures easily and show you the possibilities. This, in turn, will allow the engineers to run stress analysis, weight distribution, and ergonomic studies relatively quickly. We actually had a tool called 'ERGOMAN' which could be altered for height, arm length, leg length and girth that could be inserted into the 3d model of the space and manipulated to demonstrate the ability to perform maintenance and operation of the systems. Studies were also run to ensure components could be easily removed and replaced, if necessary. There is a very good chance the guys and gals at Newell have these same capabilities. In fact, I would be surprised if they don't.

You have gotten some good ideas already on this thread. I would just add that it is important to us that we can easily move about the coach when closed up, as in a lunch stop while on the road. Full use of the kitchen area and toilet is a must for us. While we were shopping for our coach (a 5 year search, mind you) we saw some unbelievably poor designs in this regard. I'm pretty sure Newell would not let this happen, but, as they say, buyer beware! The other thing I really have found useful is the hot water line at the front of our coach. During love bug season, (dreading it, as we are about to head north out of Florida this week) it makes a quick roadside stop and clean up of the windshield and front of the coach possible. Yes, they can be that bad, if you are unlucky! In other parts of the country it can be Mayfly hatches. Equally yucky!

Good luck with your purchase, Ed! I am incredibly envious of you! -Paul
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2021, 03:09 PM   #30

My wife and I love Newell’s and are incredibly jealous! I doubt there is much on this forum that the design team at Newell can’t answer or help you with. My ONLY comment is their projection screen TV concept. I understand the logic in both the salon (projection inside and outside) and bedroom (increase drawer depth by eliminating a televator) but I just don’t like it. The interior has to be dark to get a decent picture and the projectors take up too much overhead storage. Just give me a plain television with great quality. Other than that, congratulations on your purchase and I hope you enjoy the entire experience. I’m sure it will be special.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:19 PM   #31

IMO the bathroom is very important in overall design. I once saw a Prevost with a long countertop with 2 complete sinks and wall-cabinets. Two separate commode rooms side-by-side in a triangle layout opposite the countertop.
Kinda hard for me to describe, but it was actually two full bathrooms with a center isle.

Designing the kitchen area is user specific. For instance how well do you like to cook elaborate meals, or are you the type who prefers to eat out or grill out most of the time? For example our MH has a large complete kitchen with booth dinette. DW picked it out because she loves to cook. In 2016 an auto wreck ended her cooking elaborate meals enthusiasm. Now we mostly grill out or microwave ready-to-eat meals, so the large kitchen is mostly unused today.

C
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:15 AM   #32

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Take a look at Andrew Steele YouTube Channel, he tours the Newell Coach Plant and interview most of the designers. Good luck with our home.
coachmen2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:44 AM   #33
doc

Appalachian Campers
As my dad used to say, "I don't have a dog in this fight". However I we were planning such a project, I might consider having the factory prepare a place on the wall someplace for a future installation of a handicap/wheelchair lift. None of us are getting any younger nor do we know what the future holds for disabilities or injuries. The coach would not have to have the lift installed, just prepared for you or perhaps the future owners when you retire or get tired of the life style.
I say all this with my wife in mind since we are on our 4th motorhome and the first with a handicap lift. We got out of RVing for a while because she could not walk nor get up the steps into the DP rig we had at the time. One day we decided we missed it all and started looking. Newmar makes a gasser that is designed for disability use. We miss the big DP but this we we can still get out and hang with you guys.
Just think about the prep and hope you never have to need it.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:36 AM   #34

I wish I had a lot of good ideas to throw at you but I’ve read most of the post and think you have a few ideas you can possibly take from it. I envy your position to make the move into a new custom Coach built to your needs.

My advice would be to design it to fit your needs and keep one day you may want to sell it. That said I heard mention of combined holding tanks, personally I would not like that but would go for the largest holding tanks I could get.
Next I understand Newel has a great electronic system but there is one thought in my mind that I have not seen and that is multiple video screens for the camera views. The center screen for rear view, driver and passenger side screens you can see while looking into the mirror that would be split screens for turn camera and rear view. Obviously full view camera system as well like what is on the newer autos. The best lighting available. Headlights, backup lights, docking lights, fog lights, driving lights, scare lights and more.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:06 PM   #35

Country Coach Owners Club
Over the past few months there has been a number of terrific videos on Newell’s posted to YouTube. This morning Andrew Steel posted one to his channel which was highly custom, not my colours however, very creative.

I would begin my thoughts with some of the ideas seen on the YouTube reviews of these Newell’s.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #36

Washer Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehochuli85 View Post
We just placed our order with Newell - coach # 1749. The build will start this Sept, and delivery will be March 8, 2022. Needless to say, we are very excited, but now we need to design it. Over the course of the next 4 months, we need to decide exactly what we want on the new coach, and that's the subject of my post. I'd love any advice on what to include or avoid in the design of the coach. I'm sure you all have particular things on your coaches that you love, some things you don't but wish you did, ideas you'd include in your next coach, etc. We are watching videos and creating a file of colors, designs, etc., we've got a conference call with the Newell design team coming up, and we're going back to the factory for 3 days in June to continue the design decisions. But we don't know what we don't know, so we would love any input.

Briefly about us and our use for our new coach, as it definitely affects the design: Cathie and I are retired and live in our coach and travel the country full-time. To us, that means 1-4 weeks in a given spot, and then move to the next spot for another 1-4 weeks. (Of course, we know where we're going and for how long, and we have reservations a year in advance).

So we'd love your suggestions, advice, wish list, options to include, etc. Thank you very much!!
2 piece over under washer dryer...
The one that does all in one sucks...
Too small
Greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Cargo bays

QUOTE=Ehochuli85;5713862]We just placed our order with Newell - coach # 1749. The build will start this Sept, and delivery will be March 8, 2022. Needless to say, we are very excited, but now we need to design it. Over the course of the next 4 months, we need to decide exactly what we want on the new coach, and that's the subject of my post. I'd love any advice on what to include or avoid in the design of the coach. I'm sure you all have particular things on your coaches that you love, some things you don't but wish you did, ideas you'd include in your next coach, etc. We are watching videos and creating a file of colors, designs, etc., we've got a conference call with the Newell design team coming up, and we're going back to the factory for 3 days in June to continue the design decisions. But we don't know what we don't know, so we would love any input.

Briefly about us and our use for our new coach, as it definitely affects the design: Cathie and I are retired and live in our coach and travel the country full-time. To us, that means 1-4 weeks in a given spot, and then move to the next spot for another 1-4 weeks. (Of course, we know where we're going and for how long, and we have reservations a year in advance).

So we'd love your suggestions, advice, wish list, options to include, etc. Thank you very much!![/QUOTE]

I would make sure that there is cargo trays in both of the front through bays for easy access.
Cutlass1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:52 PM   #38

We have friends who have had three Newell’s , I would be happy to give your their contact info via my email

wbnah@yahoo.com

Barry Nichols

2010 Ford Edge
Barry and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Interior colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass1970 View Post
QUOTE=Ehochuli85;5713862]We just placed our order with Newell - coach # 1749. The build will start this Sept, and delivery will be March 8, 2022. Needless to say, we are very excited, but now we need to design it. Over the course of the next 4 months, we need to decide exactly what we want on the new coach, and that's the subject of my post. I'd love any advice on what to include or avoid in the design of the coach. I'm sure you all have particular things on your coaches that you love, some things you don't but wish you did, ideas you'd include in your next coach, etc. We are watching videos and creating a file of colors, designs, etc., we've got a conference call with the Newell design team coming up, and we're going back to the factory for 3 days in June to continue the design decisions. But we don't know what we don't know, so we would love any input.

So we'd love your suggestions, advice, wish list, options to include, etc. Thank you very much!!
I would make sure that there is cargo trays in both of the front through bays for easy access.[/QUOTE]

You probably already thought of this but don’t go to light on your interior seating.fabric.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass1970 View Post
I would make sure that there is cargo trays in both of the front through bays for easy access.
You probably already thought of this but don’t go to light on your interior seating.fabric.[/QUOTE]

I just seen a new Newmar on you tube and the wheels were black,looks awesome,I would think it would be easier to keep them clean,no water spotting ectra.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #41

Newell it’s on my list, so maybe one day, my pet peeves on my current coach: too old fashioned, like too many crevices on the wood work ( accumulates a lot of dust, front entrance ( I love a mid entry) not enough leather, tv too small (48”) the floors ceramic tiles are too shine, better captains chairs, and a must have either a quad slide or just two single slides the rest it’s very much standard on the Newell, like wiring, plumbing etc. have fun with the process it’s like having your home build, lots materials to choose from

Zzotte
Old 04-22-2021, 03:07 PM   #42

if I was looking for advice I would join newell gurus and if you are decided on whether you want a bath and a half or not mention that and request that those people submit ideas.
godaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice