Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2021, 10:03 AM   #1

Ordered a new Newell - seeking design advice!

We just placed our order with Newell - coach # 1749. The build will start this Sept, and delivery will be March 8, 2022. Needless to say, we are very excited, but now we need to design it. Over the course of the next 4 months, we need to decide exactly what we want on the new coach, and that's the subject of my post. I'd love any advice on what to include or avoid in the design of the coach. I'm sure you all have particular things on your coaches that you love, some things you don't but wish you did, ideas you'd include in your next coach, etc. We are watching videos and creating a file of colors, designs, etc., we've got a conference call with the Newell design team coming up, and we're going back to the factory for 3 days in June to continue the design decisions. But we don't know what we don't know, so we would love any input.

Briefly about us and our use for our new coach, as it definitely affects the design: Cathie and I are retired and live in our coach and travel the country full-time. To us, that means 1-4 weeks in a given spot, and then move to the next spot for another 1-4 weeks. (Of course, we know where we're going and for how long, and we have reservations a year in advance).

So we'd love your suggestions, advice, wish list, options to include, etc. Thank you very much!!
Ehochuli85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2021, 01:14 PM   #2

Most of us on these forums can only dream of owning a new Newell, so probably not a lot of help.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
Most of us on these forums can only dream of owning a new Newell, so probably not a lot of help.
There is one across from me and I would love to strike up a conversation with the guy.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:24 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Here’s a good excuse. Introduce them to this thread and irv2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
There is one across from me and I would love to strike up a conversation with the guy.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:42 PM   #5

I'd love to have the same hard time deciding as you. My personal opinion/taste since your asking in some very high end units I have only seen in pics ,is some ceiling designs are a bit much over the top or distracting. That may have been a fad or certain personal taste ordered as such. BUT It will be your baby so go nuts lol.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:43 PM   #6

A Newell is not in our budget, but honestly, the ones I've looked at online we didn't like. Way to glitzy. If I was going to design one it would be toned down and more homey looking.
I also didn't like most of the floor plans in the living area.
Sounds like an exciting time for y'all. I bet you will change your minds a hundred times.
We ordered our Ventana and I continually second guessed some of our choices.
Good luck !!
Old 04-15-2021, 04:14 PM   #7

Love the Newell concept...but it's a hotel not a home
jcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:02 PM   #8

Come on folks, the OP didn't ask if you want, can afford or care for a Newell. He asked for ideas that might be helpful for the design of his new motorhome. Things you like on your motorhome he would probably like on his. Likewise things you wish you could change he has the chance to change on his.

Why not try to be helpful regardless of what you or he happen to drive.

Personally, I'd want things to be designed around my wife's 5'2" height. She has to get out the step stool to reach just about anything but the toilet.

BoomerSooner, the best way I've found to strike up a conversation with another motorhome owner is to go over, say howdy and start talking. It works every time.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:04 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
A Newell is not in our budget, but honestly, the ones I've looked at online we didn't like. Way to glitzy.
This one might be within your budget. Or mine. Two grills, no waiting! But for some reason, the line from the propane tank actually leads into the coach basement compartment instead of to a grill. But it does have the two optional driver's side air conditioners.

Kind of sad, actually. I have no idea what year it is but I'll bet it was beautiful in its day.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Newell-1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	325118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Newell-2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	325119  

Name:	Newell-3.PNG
Views:	65
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	325120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Newell-4.PNG
Views:	59
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	325121  

Name:	Newell-5.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	679.0 KB
ID:	325122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Newell-6.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	325123  

Old 04-15-2021, 06:38 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehochuli85 View Post
Briefly about us and our use for our new coach, as it definitely affects the design: Cathie and I are retired and live in our coach and travel the country full-time. To us, that means 1-4 weeks in a given spot, and then move to the next spot for another 1-4 weeks. (Of course, we know where we're going and for how long, and we have reservations a year in advance).

So we'd love your suggestions, advice, wish list, options to include, etc. Thank you very much!!
Congratulations! You two definitely are living the dream. I agree with hohenwald48, no matter what we currently have, the maximum length is about 45' and the maximum width closed up is less than 8.5' for all of us.

1. We love our opposing front slides because we have 6' of clear floor space.

2. We love our power, reclining, heated, massaging recliners that sit directly in front of the TV. No looking at the TV on an angle.

Wishes:

1. A 360-degree camera system like my Equinox has BUT that also has night vision and continuous recording capabilities for at least five days. We have the last two features on our home Nest cameras and it's surprising how much we go back to see what happened when something went bump in the night (or day) but did not trigger a "zone" alert.

2. An easy way to cut the campground water off when leaving the coach without walking over to the spigot. 'Cause sometimes I fergit... (I also shut the propane tank off when leaving, and when I remember, because we have dogs inside but you likely will not have a propane system.)

3. Interior security cameras that will automatically turn on when our phones go out of range. We have that with our home Nest cameras. While we have Blink XT2 cameras in the motorhome, a lot of times we play the "Did you arm the cameras?" game or forget completely. (These cameras are to keep an eye on the dogs and the interior temps.)

4. Magne Shades or clear UV film on the windows, especially the windshield, to keep the interior temps cooler.

5. While we have a Bluetooth app for many coach functions such as extending and retracting the awnings and seeing the tank levels when outside, I do not know if that is standard on a Newell. It sure is handy when outside, though.

6. I imagine a Newell already has a built-in EMS for electrical protection, but does it have a built-in Autoformer or equivalent? I added one to ours.

7. Some other way to vent the clothes dryer than the usual vent door on the side. Lint gets all over the outside.

HTH,

Ray
Old 04-15-2021, 06:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
This one might be within your budget. Or mine. Two grills, no waiting! But for some reason, the line from the propane tank actually leads into the coach basement compartment instead of to a grill. But it does have the two optional driver's side air conditioners.

Kind of sad, actually. I have no idea what year it is but I'll bet it was beautiful in its day.

Ray
That looks like a Newell l saw in a park in Indiana that was rumored to once be owned by Cybill Shepard.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:12 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We toured the factory last summer. I like most everything about them, how can you not? My only puzzlement is the lack of a screen door or similar. Dale Earnhardt Jr gets a door with good reason but is an exception. It is something we use as an open invitation; entry door open come on over. I could adapt!

The HVAC system Newell uses is fantastic, it is not what DW is used to as she wants to have windows open. Their environmental system is closed. I don't mind that but get over-ridden.

They are so good at design I am not sure any of us can be of much help. That is what I realized during the tour, their experience is such that they want to do a great job for you and have "people" to insure that you get your questions resolved and end up with your perfect home on wheels.

It is a wonderful motor coach, you will absolutely enjoy it. When my current ride goes South I will consider Newell.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:13 PM   #13

Pet peeve with newer rigs are windows that do not open 50% or even some that do not open at all. Do not like a window over the head of the bed...cold in winter. Windows on either side instead.

An escape door 4-5’ high from floor level in the rear bath with a grab bar above to help get out.

A radar cruise system like we have on our 06 Monaco...Eaton Vorad with side blind spot sensors.

Ceiling fan over the bed and in the LR.

More slope to the awnings and slide toppers to shed water better. The top of the slides limit the amount of slope on our 2 Girrard patio awnings.

A skylight over the shower that opens... power of course with rain sensor.

Central vacuum.

A maid/cook.
Sandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:39 PM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
[ Disclaimer... We full time in a Foretravel. ]

As You are "Planning" to "Stay Put" for possibly weeks on end..My Thoughts....
The largest fresh water and combination black/gray tanks you can go for.
Aqua-Hot or similar diesel heat & hot water
At least 3 if not 4 roof A/C units
As large as You can get Generator to fully power everything in the coach at the same time...AVOID needing "selective power use" management systems... royal pain in the paatoot.
Solar..300 to 500 watts just to keep the batteries up. but do not depend solely on them for power..As many many RV'rs found out here in TX this last winter storm.... Solar ain't worth spit when they are covered in 4"+ snow or no sunshine..

Order the coach with a full house water filtration system including a large capacity Water softener system.. and "Hard wired" Progressive Industries EMS..

You are NOT "Camping/Glamping" You are Living in Your "Home on Wheels"

Get a Chef's "Full Meal Deal" sized and equipped galley and counter space, And More than normal storage for those pots/pans/cookware.
Go "Stewpud sized" on the amount of pantry storage..
(the same goes for the size of your residential fridge and it's freezer capacities..
(speaking of fridge..IMHO and this is just me not liking messes from the water/ice in the fridge door.. Avoid the "Blingy" ice/water dispensers in the door... more trouble that they are worth.....just stick with the tray/bin to hold the ice supply
Make sure that you get the basement chest deep freeze...That way you can stock up on frozen foodstuffs when on sale..
(To go along with the freezer loading... get a vacuum sealer, You can then buy "family sized" packs of meat/chicken/fish and break them down to single meal for 2 portions and freeze.

Laundry... Go for the Stacked or side by side Washer/outside vented Dryer [with an adjoining dirty clothes hamper and a sizable linen closet]

When looking at floor plans.. keep in mind that as we age.. One may need a walker to get around (think hip / knee replacements) You will need easy access to bath/bedroom even when just traveling from point to point when the slides must stay retracted...We have only a single living room slide for just this reason..

Good luck and happy trails
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice