Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2020, 08:04 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Man that really looks great, sure changed it. You've done a fine job, love the color coordination.
Thanks, just making it work the best I can on a shoe string budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
The propane valves do leak if they are not turned all the way closed or open! They are all that way! If it does not leak when all the way open, your golden! (Pun intended) Rail!
Thats good to know. Id probably pull my hair out if i put a new one in and saw it leaking.

Since my little propane fireball I ignited last year in the generator bay I decided to replace the original foam isolation with some rockwool fireproof sound deadening panels. only about 40 bucks for 5 panels, available at grainier. Should help make the generator even more quiet. The motor mounts are pretty dead on it but man..accessing the inner spark plug and motor mount are...impossible with the generator still inside the cubby. Such a small access hole, cant work from above it, solid sheet of metal from underneath it....I need to see if I can drop the entire unit down some how... detach all electrical, fuel, exhaust...Im hoping I can just put a floor jack under it and lower the whole thing down but...if Im remembering correctly it looks like the coach was built up around it... I need to inspect it better.
I get small whiffs of propane from the genny bay every now and then...May be something further in that I cant see or access with soapy water...Id like to replace every single gasket in the propane fuel system on it to be sure.

Propane tank is down to barely registering on the gauge now, good time to vent it out and pop that new appliacance service valve in!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2020, 06:23 PM   #114

Monaco Owners Club
All propane valves do not leak if partially open. Do you really think they would make them that way for years. The issue is the packing around the stem. If you tighten the large nut that is around the stem it will tighten the packing. Be careful not to tighten to much or you won’t be able to move the knob. If the nut is tight and it still leaks them you need new packing. Close the valve, remove the handle and the nut to get at the packing.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:59 PM   #115
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great thread and update so far.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:58 PM   #116

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
All propane valves do not leak if partially open. Do you really think they would make them that way for years. The issue is the packing around the stem. If you tighten the large nut that is around the stem it will tighten the packing. Be careful not to tighten to much or you won’t be able to move the knob. If the nut is tight and it still leaks them you need new packing. Close the valve, remove the handle and the nut to get at the packing.
Here is some reading for you, Chargerman!
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/pro...on-237351.html

The packing is supposed to stop the leaking when opening and closing, but the valves are made to seal in the fully open or the fully closed position! Always open fully, and close fully! Pull up a cut a way of a propane valve!

Rail!
Old 08-19-2020, 05:28 AM   #117

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you. I learned something today.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:17 AM   #118

Generator is out, both of the bracket ears on the generator head side completely sheared off, no wonder it moved around so much on start up!
Kohler lists two differnt part numbers, one for engine side one for gen head side. By feeling alone I can see the engine side rubber durometer is much stiffer than generator.
Looks like their idea didn;t pan out over time..or jus thte rubber gold old and allowed excessive flex which led to the brackets shearing. Welding them up tonight.
The engine side mounts are 9$ each, gen side 54 each....Im just doing the 9$ all around.

DId a little video walk thruough of the interior:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	genny1.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	297890   Click image for larger version

Name:	genny2.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	297891  

Old 08-25-2020, 09:33 PM   #119

Interior looks great, but that looks like quite a job @ the generator... keep up the good work.

I work on a shoe string budget as well, but love doing all the work myself.

I've been off the RV for awhile after finishing up all of the LED exterior lighting and roof sealing and coating recently. Down the a handful of small jobs before completion, of course until something comes up, as it always does with these old rigs. gotta love em though.
RoyaleSS90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:53 AM   #120

no updates at all on this. Havent had a minute to work on it. Last trip was in October with my buddy to VA with a trailer to pick up a grand piano. Drove it 16 hours straight myself, ran great other than that chassis vibration which occurs when you turn left.

Just last night i started to take apart the drag link and will source new tie rod ends for it.
It is sitting under a nice heavy duty billboard vinyl so no snow/ice can build up on my roof. Entire front and rear caps are covered by it too. Batteries sitting on a trickle charger.

We are expecting a 3rd kid, which puts me in a pickle...Where and how do I mount the 3rd baby seat?? Easiest would be right in the middle between our seats but..i dont want to drill more holes in the floor, it wont look as good, will take up valuable space.
No room at the dinette as the table is permanently affixed..i could change that...also dont want 1 kid to be 15 feet away from us.. Going to take a few beers and hours to do some thinking.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:19 AM   #121

I made a couple brackets that attached to the bottom of the driver a passenger seats. I basically removed a seat bolt and put a steel piece with a hole in it and bolted it back on so I could use a heavy duty strap. I then ran the strap through the car seat back (just like buckling them down in a car) and ran the strap from driver to passenger seats through the car seat. It worked very well. Very safe. No different than how they are strapped down in a car.
TurboZinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:58 AM   #122

SO basically you have the baby seat strapped to the ground in between the pilot and co pilot seats?

That is a good idea. My seats are raised on platforms about 6" above main deck floor height so Id have to fab a little base that straddles the span out of angle iron. Good thinkin!

Down the line I have to figure more permanent normal seating position. Possibly add seatbelts to the couch or the dinette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboZinke View Post
I made a couple brackets that attached to the bottom of the driver a passenger seats. I basically removed a seat bolt and put a steel piece with a hole in it and bolted it back on so I could use a heavy duty strap. I then ran the strap through the car seat back (just like buckling them down in a car) and ran the strap from driver to passenger seats through the car seat. It worked very well. Very safe. No different than how they are strapped down in a car.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:02 PM   #123

I have been thinking of fold down bus seat to ride grandkids. I have saved a nice set in my FB Marketplace. I am debating. I had seen vid of newer Thor had a couch with the anchor points like car or SUV for child seat at arm so it could face forward or rear. Have also seen 3rd captain seat behind passenger seat.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:08 PM   #124

No progress to show, but I am finally painting the cabinets. lots os sanding and prep for it but will looks great once everything is done.
Pulled the roof tarp off it this weekend.
I did replace the drag link tie rod ends over winter, havetn driven it yet.
I want to replace the coolant and hoses this spring, and also time to invest in some real deep cycle batteries. The spare half dead starting batteries I was using for the house side have up the ghost over winter.

Im most excited to do the headliner in the light grey suede. I think that will make a huge difference in the interior sex appeal.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:55 AM   #125

Are you going to replace the hoses/coolant yourself? I need to do the same on my coach but I have no place to work on it and I'm just to dadgum old to do this work... any ideas?
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #126

Yes i will be doing the work myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
Are you going to replace the hoses/coolant yourself? I need to do the same on my coach but I have no place to work on it and I'm just to dadgum old to do this work... any ideas?
Greg5OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco