Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #1

Our 2014 Labor Day Weekend Trip to Az to pick up our New to us 2008 Newmar Kountry St

Hi all!
When last we posted you all provided us with the pros & cons of our planned journey to Ft Mohave AZ where we were to pick up our new to us 2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3910. As promised here are the results of our "newbie" journey home to Ocala FL.
Before I start I'd just like to say that the previous owners of our new baby were as meticulous as I am! When we arrived to complete the transaction, they had taken the unit out of the storage facility and set it up in a local KOA campground. They walked through every system system with us as they knew we were newbies! I was then handed a complete maintenance history from day 1! We were so very fortunate to find such a gem. We shook hands and they drove off. It was the. We realized we were on our own a very long way from home. Thanks to Lazy Days You Tube videos for teaching me the basics! They made a BIG difference.
We left Orlando International at 8:45 pm ET headed to Las Vegas on Thursday (8/28). After a plane change in Phoenix, we arrived in Las Vegas at 12:45 am MT. Grabbed a rental car and a room at Sam's Town Gambling hall hotel. Got to bed at 2 am.
We were to meet the seller's at 9:30 am on Friday (8/29)in Ft. Mohave. Up at 5:30 and on the road by 6:15 headed south. It was my first time in the southwest. To say my head was on a swivel is a gross understatement. Wow what views.
We met the owners at the bank on time and completed the transaction quickly. I was dealing a case of nervous excitement as we headed to the KOA. Boy it was hot. Dry heat my butt! 115 is 115!!!! At 12:00 pm the KSDP was ours!
We headed south on AZ rte 95 from Ft Mohave towards Quartzsite AZ. Right through the Mohave desert. Wow! Two lanes. At this point I think we were going about 30 mph. Felt like 100!!! To add to the fun, I missed a turn towards Quartzsite and ended up staying on AZ 95 south straight into CA down to I10! We were on rte 95 for 120 miles before getting to I10. By the end of the rte 95 stretch, I had learned how to deal with two lane roads and staying in my lane!
Once on I10 eastbound I was flying down the highway at 50! I learned about cross winds, poor roads and staying in my lane. Once we got to AZ, I picked up speed to 55 headed to Tucson. Our first day ended at 8:30 pm in a I10 rest area just east of Tucson. Long day slept like babies.
As the miles clicked off my confidence behind the wheel grew. We really enjoyed lunch at the rest area west of Las Cruses NM (8/30), Great selfie of us up there! We stopped in a rest area in the West Texas Hills on Saturday night (8/30), a campground at Crystal Beach TX by Galveston Bay on Sunday night (8/31) to visit with my brother and his family, a truck-stop in Kenner LA on Labor Day evening (9/1) and a rest area near Panama City FL last night (9/2). We arrived at our Ocala FL home today at 12:00 noon (9/3).
Now that the K-Star is in the driveway, we drove a total 2505 miles from the KOA in FT Mohave AZ to our Florida home. I spent 49.8 hours behind the wheel which included a detour that put me on Airline Blvd in New Orleans! I quickly learned how to navigate city traffic!! As we turned on I75 south towards Ocala FL this morning, I was comfortably cruising at 62-65 without leaving my lane, unless I wanted to!
What did we learn on our first RV journey? Respect the size and weight of the coach. Take your time, do not over drive your abilities. Be mindful of your surroundings at all times. It helps to have a great co-pilot! Look left, right, ahead and up when driving on narrow two lane country roads because the GPS goes haywire!!!! Double check GPS routes on a real map! Get a PENFED Rewards Visa CC to pay for fuel and get cash back! Flying J's and Love's are great fuel stops. Enjoy the ride as much as possible!
In closing, although still a newbie ( I have to dump the black and grey tanks tomorrow for the 1st time before we store her for a few weeks) we had a safe and successful albeit a very direct journey home in our new KSDP. Although lacking actual seat time when we started our trip, this forum taught us how to buy a class A coach, be prepared for what was ahead of us, and how to enjoy it all while gripping the steering wheel as hard as humanly possible for the first 300 miles!!

Thank you! It's been a long time coming!

Rickmc & Moski
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3910, Caramel, Cummins 400 HP ISL

2021 Newmar Baystar 3226
rickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #2

Enjoy your beautiful new rig 😜 I can't afford something this nice, but it doesn't matter. We all get to enjoy the travel 😜👍
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on your new rig and I'm sure many enjoyable trips are in your future. 2500+ miles in 6 days will certainly accelerate your behind the wheel learning curve but as you discovered it's not impossible. Kudo's for completing the trip safe & having a good time to boot!
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:01 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Congrats! Next trip, slow down and enjoy the ride. That was quite an introduction!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #5

Congrats & enjoy it!
Old 09-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the update!
Glad you, 1: made the trip safely, and 2: got a great coach.

Now, go have a blast!
Old 09-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #7

Thanx for sharing... Similar trip in store for us from WinterPark, FL to Middlebury Indiana to view our new baby being born. Awesome information.. I took notes👍

Robert & Jana Stanton... Birthing a 2015 Anthem.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Congrats. These stories are fun to read. Happy for ya, but how bout a picture or 3? Funny thing that 30 mph feels like 100, but it really does the first time. Nice job!
Bdhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #9

Congratulations on your 'new' M/H! From a fellow Newbie. The more miles you do, the more comfortable it will be.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #10

Need a photo of the new coach.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #11

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1409853004.552559.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	72904ours will grow up to look like this... Good looks from mothers side.. Trust me

Robert & Jana Stanton... Birthing a 2015 Anthem.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #12

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Enjoy the coach...next time enjoy the ride.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #13

Thanks for the Update and I am sure glad you got er done.....Now you have a much better feel for the size of the good old United States of America...

Slow down and enjoy the rest of the Fun......

Mike
Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #14
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Congratulations and good luck with the new rig.

Tags
newmar