Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #29

Okay?
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
Had. The fins cleaned
Most people including mechanics only blow the radiator through the fins. We have a fleet of trucks and what we have found after a few years of use dirt and debris builds up between the radiator and the charge air cooler. This is not specific to any brand or engine make. You have to remove the charge air cooler to properly clean this out. I’m not sure why this just all of a sudden show up but that has been our experience. I will tell you that you that properly maintained you have a great engine. We change our oil every 250 hours and have run more than 20,000 hours on most of them before rebuilding. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #31

Quote:
I just noticed that possibly the initial information was missing from my post. I did it on my cell phone...

We were driving West on Hwy 50 in MD almost to the Bay bridge, when my engine temp alarm went off. I was able to immediately pull off an exit just before the engine stopped. I call my FMCA assist number and began the process to do something. I was able to get in touch with a moble mechanic and by the time he arrived, I had discovered that the small belt, the water pump belt, was loose. He confirmed and also felt the water pump pulley and mentioned that it turned freely and had some play in it.
We had our rig towed to a nearby Caterpillar repair shop (Friday afternoon) and continued our trip to sit with our Grandchildren while our son and daughter-in-law go on an overseas trip.
My questions are: IF it does need a waterpump, can it be replaced without removing the radiator?
IF the radiator need to be removed, would make sense to go ahead and replace the belts and hoses?

It is a 2003 National tradewinds 375LE, Caterpillar 3126 330hp, 63,000 miles and we've owner it about 10 months

Thanks for your ideas,

Wm
Can’t speak on the necessity of removing the radiator but would recommend the belts and hoses since the coolant has been drained while changing the pump. I would also recommend having the charge air cooler removed and clean the radiator. You are probably getting reduced air flow.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:03 PM   #32

Radiator. They put cheap plastic one in. Did your leak all the fluid out? Our 09 Holiday Rambler was shot in 6 years. Got an aluminum installed, Life time warranty
Old 05-23-2019, 06:12 PM   #33

Freight liner service solution

I had this issue climbing hills heading west. The Freightliner dealer in Bozeman power washed the radiator which had clogged up due to breather location coating it with oily film.

They installed a small tube routing the breather to the rear of the coach, solving the problem. It was a service bulletin from Freightliner. I don’t remember the cost.

This was in a 2001 Winnebago Journey with the Cat 3126 engine.

About ten years and 80,000 miles later I also had the AC compressor clutch seize up, destroying the serpentine belt. Happened in front of an Autozone store on a Sunday afternoon. With my marginal onboard tools, a helpful store clerk, and a local good ole boy who happened to be at the store, we removed the AC compressor and found a smaller and narrower serpentine belt that worked to get me home. Finished the job at midnight. Took an hour to clean up, short night and gone in the morning before the store opened up.

RVing can be such fun.
NIACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:35 PM   #34

Overheating

Is your engine equipped with a fan controller. Check to see if it is operational. This module cycles on and off depending on temperature. The part can be very pricy but with enough research you should find one at a reasonable cost.
Walt912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #35

I'm still waiting for the shop to get me in....
Hopefully I'll know something soon.
Wm
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:24 PM   #36

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
The water pump belt was loose
Don't you love it when the solution is an easy fix?
Old 05-24-2019, 05:00 AM   #37

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0k0la View Post
Don't you love it when the solution is an easy fix?
I could only hope.
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:10 AM   #38

Temperature Climbing - Emergency First Step

Turn on the in cab HEAT and fan on HIGH. Do it well before the temp hits critical. Look for immediate service and STOP if this does not bring the temp back down.

You will swelter in the cab but it's better than cracking an engine head.
craigbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #39

Fan clutch probably failed if it’s only on pulls.
Rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:11 AM   #40

My Cat C7 the water pump belt was loose, engine only heated on hills. The tensioner bearings were bad causing the loose belt. I thought I saw some seepage from the water pump. So I replaced the water pump, water pump belt, water pump belt tensioner, and the serpentine belt and its tensioner. I did also clean the dirty radiator, added a catch can, and replaced all hoses and belts while in there.

Took me about 14 hours start to finish, and I am pretty experienced being an auto technician in a past life. I did most with my body upside down through the hole in the floor. If I could have stood in a pit or lift the bus it would have been 1/2 that time.

Oh, and if your tensioner bolt breaks off in the front of the engine like mine did, Cat put two holes in so you can just use the other one, I thought I was but it turned out to be no issue.

Never went over 200 after that.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:38 PM   #41

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look around. The dirty radiator from breather tube is comone problem for that coach and engine.
Needs to be cleaned from engine side and from back . Extend the breather and clean regular no problems
skyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #42

sharing what the instruction on my New cat c-7 water pump said. It's not uncommon for the pump to weap at the weap hole,, it is helps lube the seal...

Tags
class a, engine, heat