RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2020, 06:17 PM   #1

Our Turn: Looking for a new used Rig

I've been given the green light to at least 'look' for a newer rig that has slides to replace our beloved and solid 97 RexAir.

We sold our house in August of 2019, have been living off and on in the RV since then...and LOVING IT! ...well..I have! I plan on retiring at the end of this year and snowbirding to Florida during winter and returning to Spokane during the warm months.

My DW and I have agreed to full time (YAHOO!) at least for the 1st year (or longer) in hopes that:
1. The prices of houses in Spokane go down
or
2. All the kids agree to live in Florida (where the price of houses are WAY more reasonable!)

After living in the RexAir we both agreed a little more elbow room would be nice.

I wanted to stay around 50K as a budget, but after looking at numerous RV's this past weekend we saw one that she really liked and it was new.

I told the salesman I'm not interested in new as I don't want to take the depreciation hit. He said you don't have to! We've already taken the hit. (brother..really?) Listed for 183K, marked down to 119K

He showed us a 2019 Thor Motor Coach Miramar 34.2 which honestly we both liked (except for the recliners, they're cheap and don't recline all the way).

So, would appreciate your thoughts are on this price.

BUT...here's the real help I need.

I would love to hear from folks about what gasser they would recommend knowing the following things:

Here's what we know we want:
- Quality built Gas Rig, Newmar, Tiffin, Winnebago...other?
- 32 to 36 feet long, 35 being a sweet spot.
- Slides: Opposing slides in front, one for the bedroom. (Is that actually an ok thing (opposing slides?)

Now, here's where it gets tricky..the following list is weighted with the most important on top, scaling down to not show stoppers.

- King Bed with room on both sides or at least one side, also place for cpap machines.
- Rig with good insulation for mild to cold camping or perhaps just driving through cold states on our way to warmer states
- Passenger seat needs to have room for long legs and place to put feet. No walls blocking foot placement. And the dog house bump not too high, easy access to get in and out of seat. Room to fully recline seat and put feet up on dash.
- Dinette Booth (not table and chairs..although a pull down bed above the driver seat might mitigate the need for the dinette)
- Separate room for toilet
- Good flow while washing dishes (a place to put dirty dishes and then room for strainer)
- No TV over the front windshield, want BIG view! (I had one in our current rig and took it down, we're using the dash to hold the 43" TV..works great.
- Counter space in bathroom sink area

Having looked at over 15 or 16 rigs this past weekend, we're beginning to narrow it down as to what we 'think' we want.

I don't think a diesel is in the cards as we just don't have deep enough pockets even though we will be doing a lot of miles due to our snowbird state being Florida and Home state Washington (3K one way...and I'm OKAY with those miles!! )

Appreciate any help you can give us.

TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 06:37 PM   #2

Not a big fan of opposing living room slides if you plan on a lot of traveling.
Most models make it quite tight when both slides are in. A single super slide or non opposing may be worth a look. By all means a bedroom slide is a must, but again a little tight when retracted.
A used diesel pusher should not be ruled out IMHO.
A much better return on your investment than buying a brand new gasser.
Better fuel mileage (significant in cross country travels), higher gcvwr and towing capacity, larger fuel, water and holding tanks, quieter, flat floor and best of all more leg room for DW. There's the age old argument about gas vs diesel maintenance costs that can be debated to death, but one things certain...you won't have a screaming Mimi V10 in your lap.
For me, comfort is king. Just my .02
Keep looking and good luck.

2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
I cannot in any way recommend a new Thor product...of any nameplate..And no opposing slides... unless you like crawling over the furniture to go pee while enroute...
[Disclosure..]
We have a single slide(LR) 18 year old 40' DP tag axle coach...500 hp,4060r Allison..
Swing by Nacogdoces, Tx on your way back to the Northwet.. check out Foretravel and Motorhomes of Tx... just go back in years until you hit your budget restraints..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:25 PM   #4

We have opposing front slides and would not have a coach without that.
Ours is designed so you can easily get clear back to the bed and open everything except one cabinet where we keep spices and measuring cups, not a huge problem and if it was we could move those items. To get to the rear closet, we have to crawl over the bed or put the slide out.
Dave
Old 01-07-2020, 09:52 PM   #5

Given your list of features, I would strongly consider looking at a used diesel pusher from about 2005 -2007 model years from a mid upper to upper product line. You should be able to find a good one for under $50,000, though perhaps with an asking price a bit higher.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:15 PM   #6

I would look for:

-The Mountain Aire on the F53 or Workhorse chassis
-National Dolphin, same comment on chassis
-If you liked your Rexhall, they had some gassers with the T-Rex slides
-Tripple E

If you move away from gasser to DP:

-Alpine
-Country Coach
-Dutch Star

Dropping down a bit, but still solid coaches with loyal owners:

- Winnebago Journey or Meridian, with usually a C7 engine, 34-36' size

Use the Key Word search under RVT.com, and enter 'king' - that might bring up those available for you to consider....

Best of luck to you on your search,
Smitty
Old 01-08-2020, 06:41 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Not a big fan of opposing living room slides if you plan on a lot of traveling.
Most models make it quite tight when both slides are in. A single super slide or non opposing may be worth a look. By all means a bedroom slide is a must, but again a little tight when retracted.
A used diesel pusher should not be ruled out IMHO.
A much better return on your investment than buying a brand new gasser.
Better fuel mileage (significant in cross country travels), higher gcvwr and towing capacity, larger fuel, water and holding tanks, quieter, flat floor and best of all more leg room for DW. There's the age old argument about gas vs diesel maintenance costs that can be debated to death, but one things certain...you won't have a screaming Mimi V10 in your lap.
For me, comfort is king. Just my .02
Keep looking and good luck.
This^^^^

Don't be fooled if that coach is going out the door today at $119K it will be $80K 6 months after you buy it and $60K in 2 years.......just take a look at a 3-year-old version of a similar model from the same manufacturer.

Personally I'd rather buy a 10-year-old DP when they were built SOOOOO much better and look for one with modern upgrades, flooring, TV. etc and even if you spend $3-5K a year for maintenance (debatable) do the math and you'll be 10's of thousands of $$ ahead in 3-5 years

My .02...............all the best in your search and coming adventures
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:32 AM   #8

Your list of makers is pretty much on target. The lower tier builders like Thor will use cheaper construction materials that will suffer under full time use.

We do on average 15k miles a year and wouldn’t have anything WITHOUT opposing slides. Tastes differ I guess. We can access the dining table, all the cabinetry in the living space, kitchen, fridge, bath, bed. What more do you want in travel mode? The return on living space parked is more than worth it.

If you buy a ten plus year old coach as many advocates push around here, just be prepared for the extra maintenance and repairs, as rubber in bushings, hoses, and insulation is getting old. And there’s the potential of really expensive drive train repairs with a diesel beyond warranty. Not often, but periodically someone posts on here that bought a coach that died and they cannot afford repairs. I know that’s not your situation, but who wants to pay a repair bill north of ten grand on an old coach?

My .02 is diesel is a preferred choice for frequent travelers like we are. Those who seasonally commute between summer and winter locations won’t realize much benefit.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:53 AM   #9
NXR

I'm answering your questions for what our Forest River GT5 34H5 has for perspective.

- 32 to 36 feet long, 35 being a sweet spot. - 38' which has the 22,000 lb chassis and 242" wheelbase so it drives well.

- Slides: Opposing slides in front, one for the bedroom. (Is that actually an ok thing (opposing slides?) - Yes. We have 6' of clear floor space between the dinette and the kitchen wall. We will never buy without two front slides. It really opens things up when the dog stretches out in the middle of the floor.

- King Bed with room on both sides or at least one side, also place for cpap machines. - Yes, but it is not a walk-around on either side. More like 1/2 way. There is a small nightstand on each side with an outlet on each side. My wife uses it for her CPAP.

- Rig with good insulation for mild to cold camping or perhaps just driving through cold states on our way to warmer states - This is kind of subjective but we think it's pretty good. We've used it down to the low 20's. Carry an electric space heater so you don't burn too much propane.

- Passenger seat needs to have room for long legs and place to put feet. No walls blocking foot placement. And the dog house bump not too high, easy access to get in and out of seat. Room to fully recline seat and put feet up on dash. - Yes but "fully" is subjective. There is about 45 degrees of rearward tilt.

- Dinette Booth (not table and chairs..although a pull down bed above the driver seat might mitigate the need for the dinette) - Both, actually. The bunk pull-down is optional and we have the optional power bunk above the front seats.

- Separate room for toilet - Separate from the shower? We have a half-bath which meets that need. That's why we're a bit longer.

- Good flow while washing dishes (a place to put dirty dishes and then room for strainer) - Two sinks. Flow depends on your water filtering.

- No TV over the front windshield, want BIG view! (I had one in our current rig and took it down, we're using the dash to hold the 43" TV..works great. - Yes. There's a TV directly in front of the recliners, over the fireplace. The fireplace (a 1,500 watt electrical heater) helps with supplemental heating.

- Counter space in bathroom sink area - Yes, in both

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/class...-gt5/34H5/4260

The Tampa, FL RV Super Show is next week in Tampa. If you're already in FL consider going over. There's supposed to be 1,500+ units to look at although obviously not all motorhomes. You might get other ideas and certainly can get questions answered. We've heard that LazyDays has a huge selection to look at but we've never been there.

HTH,

Ray
Old 01-08-2020, 09:33 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
First off I would NEVER consider a Thor product. We looked at them when buying our first RV a couple of years ago and they were cheaply made and finished.

Our current DP as opposing slides in the front and we would never do with out that set up. LOTS of room for living when out and plenty of room to get around and use the dinning area, all of the kitchen, access to the Bathroom and can easily sleep in our king bed with all the slides in.

It was a good suggestion to visit the Tampa RV show if you are in the area. A huge number of RVs to look at.

Good luck and WELCOME to the forum!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
I've been given the green light to at least 'look' for a newer rig that has slides to replace our beloved and solid 97 RexAir.

We sold our house in August of 2019, have been living off and on in the RV since then...and LOVING IT! ...well..I have! I plan on retiring at the end of this year and snowbirding to Florida during winter and returning to Spokane during the warm months.

My DW and I have agreed to full time (YAHOO!) at least for the 1st year (or longer) in hopes that:
1. The prices of houses in Spokane go down
or
2. All the kids agree to live in Florida (where the price of houses are WAY more reasonable!)

After living in the RexAir we both agreed a little more elbow room would be nice.

I wanted to stay around 50K as a budget, but after looking at numerous RV's this past weekend we saw one that she really liked and it was new.

I told the salesman I'm not interested in new as I don't want to take the depreciation hit. He said you don't have to! We've already taken the hit. (brother..really?) Listed for 183K, marked down to $$$$$$$119K

He showed us a 2019 Thor Motor Coach Miramar 34.2 which honestly we both liked (except for the recliners, they're cheap and don't recline all the way).

So, would appreciate your thoughts are on this price.

BUT...here's the real help I need.

I would love to hear from folks about what gasser they would recommend knowing the following things:

Here's what we know we want:
- Quality built Gas Rig, Newmar, Tiffin, Winnebago...other?
- 32 to 36 feet long, 35 being a sweet spot.
- Slides: Opposing slides in front, one for the bedroom. (Is that actually an ok thing (opposing slides?)

Now, here's where it gets tricky..the following list is weighted with the most important on top, scaling down to not show stoppers.

- King Bed with room on both sides or at least one side, also place for cpap machines.
- Rig with good insulation for mild to cold camping or perhaps just driving through cold states on our way to warmer states
- Passenger seat needs to have room for long legs and place to put feet. No walls blocking foot placement.

And the dog house bump not too high, easy access to get in and out of seat.
Room to fully recline seat and put feet up on dash.
- Dinette Booth (not table and chairs..although a pull down bed above the driver seat might mitigate the need for the dinette) No Booth but sleep sofa works -
- Separate room for toilet - toilet -sink-shower all in seperate room. - -
- Good flow while washing dishes (a place to put dirty dishes and then room for strainer)
- No TV over the front windshield, want BIG view! (I had one in our current rig and took it down, we're using the dash to hold the 43" TV..works great.
- Counter space in bathroom sink area

Having looked at over 15 or 16 rigs this past weekend, we're beginning to narrow it down as to what we 'think' we want.

I don't think a diesel is in the cards as we just don't have deep enough pockets even though we will be doing a lot of miles due to our snowbird state being Florida and Home state Washington (3K one way...and I'm OKAY with those miles!! ) - Having driven a Gas unit all those miles - - - - really is old as the roads are just BAD Air Ride is GREAT!

Appreciate any help you can give us.
This may take a bit to get to my point or just look here - https://www.rvtrader.com/Winnebago-J...rim=34Y%7C6443 - think one of these may check all the Boxes,

For the last few summers, I spend a couple weeks with My Brother (5th wheel) in a CG for the Family Reunion at the Beach - This year he said he was going to Look at a New Newmar - 3345 New Aire at $300K plus - OMG, did you hit the Lottery? - No but maybe in 5 years It will be affordable......- BUT I'd really like one sooner.....DW looks at the Sky for Help

So I stay out of it for a few days, and just do a little research - I came across this 2009 34Y looks almost identical, but IMHO a little better $$$Less - Bigger engine and bigger transmission in the 2009, Big deal than the later models 2010-12 - Much less money - King bed, tight but works - Great layout - only issue is the Cargo capacity!

Show it to him and the DW and they liked it - Buy the end of the second week he is calling different dealers.

A month later he calls - You want to go to Texas! - - Made a deal - sight unseen - to trade my 5th wheel and buy this unit - are you crazy I say - No, I can walk if it's no good - so long story short - we go - it is as close to new as possible - Great deal - Every Option but washer and Dryer - tires are three year old Toyos - Service was all good - on and on...

Moral of the story - He got a diesel - it rides like a Diesel on air bags - not like a Truck on springs - it is Beautiful and it Checked all the Boxes.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:06 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Motorhome Specialist in Alvarado, Tx has A 2017 Tiffin Open Road 34PA for $109k it has 19k miles. Four slide outs. Washer and dryer.
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:17 PM   #13

Hey Folks..checking back in.

We haven't bought anything yet, have looked at a few and are going tonight to an RV show (our 2nd here in Spokane in two weeks!).

I know I know...don't buy at shows..we aren't planning on it, but we are looking.

As I may have stated before, we're not in a big hurry. I'm okay starting our FT experience using our existing RV to start with and then "IF" we decide we REALLY love it AND that having one with no slides is a problem, "THEN" we'll look into buying.

But I'm still torn with the whole gas vs diesel debate and just not sure what to do there. Some days I'm totally against or for diesels depending on what post I just happened to have read. And to be clear, I'm not wanting to start that debate here...I'm just not sure which way to go.

And honestly...I think my plan of just using our existing rig for the 1st year is actually a pretty good idea....although I don't know if it'll help one way or the other in regards to buying a diesel rig over a gas.

Oh well...hang in there with me as we get closer to retirement and decision time.

Hey..one quick question, I was looking at the classifieds here on IRV2 and noticed a Winnie Destination 39W that is a gas rig but the engine is in the back....yes, the BACK!
Anyone have one of these or know 1st hand the pros vs cons?

Thanks.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:21 PM   #14

I sent you a PM.

jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote