RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2020, 09:53 PM   #1

Outdated tires

I contacted Simple Tire about some Sailun tires that they have on sale and asked what the date codes were. This was the response that I got from them.

Hello Ken,

Thank you for your email to SimpleTire.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide the details of DOT to the customers because warehouse won't be able to check the dates on Individual tires and we stock tires which are from 3 months to 4 years old from the date of manufacturing, which is within the industry standard and considered as new Tires.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

If you have further queries or concerns, please feel free to contact us on 888-410-0604.

Regards,
Vivek.
SimpleTire.com

I can't believe that they would call 4 year old tires ''as new''.

Ken............

91 Metro Convertible and 92 Suzuki Swift GT toads
givemeaboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2020, 02:11 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Outdated tires

This seems like a good reason to patronize a local tire shop instead of online ordering. When I purchased my current tires, my nearest truck tire vendor said that they would reject anything older than six months for RV installation.

slowmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:53 AM   #3

I always check the DOT code since having a two-year old tire installed by my local tire store. Once I called it to their attention, they specifically ordered in a newer one (less than 2 months old) from their warehouse and changed it out for me at no cost.

That's why I always deal with my local Discount Tire store - or when I'm traveling I try to find a Discount Tire location near my route if needed.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:55 AM   #4

The last set of tires I put on me Journey DL I got from A&M truck tire service in Pa. When I set up the exchange they said they understood my issue with production dates. When I got there for the changeover first thing they showed me the tires Sumitomo 718 and the production dated were only a few months old. The tires have been great quiet and smooth ride with no visible cracks. I recommend them, the tires and the shop.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:31 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Now you know why they were on sale. If they were 50% off then it is a wash as you only have 4 years or so of use (half the normal use).
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Now you know why they were on sale. If they were 50% off then it is a wash as you only have 4 years or so of use (half the normal use).

Actually they need to be MORE than 50% off since you will have to pay another mounting and balancing years earlier than if you mounted 2 to 4 months old tires to begin with!
Last time I purchased tires, I stated that I would not accept tires older than 3 months from manufacturer date. The manager understood that, when the tires came in, two were 12 months old. He ordered two new ones, so that all 6 were under 3 months.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:08 AM   #7

...regardless of laws or policy, think most tire vendors have figured out that "informed" RV owners prefer new tires....but the "uninformed" owner remains at risk.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
This seems like a good reason to patronize a local tire shop instead of online ordering.
Ditto that. I always tell the tire shop that I want fresh tires, and want to confirm date codes before installation. And I've never had anyone give me attitude or try to sneak something in.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:25 AM   #9

FWIW, I have purchased 17.5 and 19.5 tires from ST and they were all within 8 months of mfg date. Good enough for me.
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:30 AM   #10

My Samson tires came from Simple Tire. All 6 were 4 months old.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:41 AM   #11

Tires that are four years old, but have been in covered storage, are certainly less affected by the age than tires mounted and exposed to the elements. Their life "might" be shortened by 18-24 months,,,,maybe. They should be good for six years or more on the road. At half price, that's a good deal for the money.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:41 AM   #12

I might give it a try and hope for the best. Their price is too good to pass up unless they send me 4 year old tires.

Ken..........

91 Metro Convertible and 92 Suzuki Swift GT toads
givemeaboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:08 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Just bought

FYI, just ordered 6 Sumitomo 275/71/22.5 for my dip. $2800 and will be installed here at house. Through Motorhome tires a vendor in this site.
CJ7nGOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:27 AM   #14

Good for you! 5 years in, and we're happier with our Sumitomo's than we ever were with michelins! Let us know what you think of them, . . . and what the date codes are when they arrive!

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires