Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #1

Outdoor Storage with ADCO cover or Covered Storage?

We are debating the benefits vs cost between our current outdoor storage ($55 per month) and using an ADCO cover vs a covered spot (carport style not fully enclosed) for $228 per month. Will the cover provide the same or better protection for the coach as the carport style space would? I like the idea of the covered space vs hauling the cover up and down the coach but for about $2000 more per year trying to figure out if I’m missing something on how this could make any justifiable sense for the increased cost. We were on a wait list for the spot that just opened and is the reason for the consideration now. Any thoughts from others? Obviously the goal is to reduce the wear and tare on the coach as much as possible.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #2

Can't directly comment on the cover as have never used one, but I would think it would be a major PITA to put on and take off. Heck, I even hated the tire covers we've used on occasion. I guess I'd consider that as an absolute last resort.

We just moved from a situation where our neighborhood had covered storage with metered electric - aka "The Barn" which we paid for-$170.00 + electric of about $25.00 to $30.00. We had to put our coach in outside storage with no electric ($85.00) where we moved knowing it was not ideal. We stumbled upon someone who has a warehouse that is allowing us to store, with electric, for $200.00 a month. We jumped on it. Would we rather pay the $85.00 - yes, but we think it's well worth it to have the elements off the coach and to have electric.

I suspect you'll pay either way - now or later with wear & tear from the elements.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What is the storage location of your coach? Is it exposed to a lot of rain and/or snow, or are you just covering to protect it mainly from the sun?
rjjastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #4

Right now it is stored out in the open exposed to rain, sun, some tree droppings, occasionally snow and ice. We live in Western Washington so decent rainfall and seasonal light snow fall. We have used a cover on our previous 32’ TT and it is for sure a pain but seemed to keep the TT clean.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
No brainer, inside storage...out of the sun, rain, hail, snow, ice, wind and what ever else mother nature has to offer.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #6

What I did.....Click image for larger version

Name:	20170807_164100.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	208795

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
O-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:01 PM   #7

Agree on covered. Really nice when ice storms come through and not getting stressed before you can go check.

We have in a garage storage facility since we can’t do at the house but well worth the additional expense to us.

I have read others that had covers and stories about them moving in the wind and scuffing sides etc.

Much easier to just pull inside and not worry.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-man View Post
What I did.....Attachment 208795

Looks nice! Wish I didn’t live in an HOA or I would have something like this built. Do you find that it keeps the rain and dirt off with the sides open? The space that is available to us is like this and not a fully enclosed garage which is why I’m debating putting a cover on or this type of covered space of the sides will still allow the sun and rain, dirt to sneak in on the sides
Old 06-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder4 View Post
Looks nice! Wish I didn’t live in an HOA or I would have something like this built. Do you find that it keeps the rain and dirt off with the sides open? The space that is available to us is like this and not a fully enclosed garage which is why I’m debating putting a cover on or this type of covered space of the sides will still allow the sun and rain, dirt to sneak in on the sides
The west side ( right side of pic) has 36" side panel on it , that is where most of the weather comes from. Does good to keep rain off of boat and coach. And our rotty loves it under there

O-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:58 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder4 View Post
We are debating the benefits vs cost between our current outdoor storage ($55 per month) and using an ADCO cover vs a covered spot (carport style not fully enclosed) for $228 per month. Will the cover provide the same or better protection for the coach as the carport style space would? I like the idea of the covered space vs hauling the cover up and down the coach but for about $2000 more per year trying to figure out if I’m missing something on how this could make any justifiable sense for the increased cost. We were on a wait list for the spot that just opened and is the reason for the consideration now. Any thoughts from others? Obviously the goal is to reduce the wear and tare on the coach as much as possible.

I have a ADCO cover I’ve used one time for a short period last year and again this summer (we winter in Florida and are home in the summer) and it’s just about done for. The plastic buckles are starting to break. The stitching is coming apart on the straps and worst of all the cover is tearing. In my opinion the cover isn’t worth the cost. With that said it is as close to committing suicide as you will ever come just putting the cover on. Picture this: your walking on the top of your RV, fighting any slight breeze that wants to balloon the cove and fly away or just tries to make the cover slide off the coach. As I said before your walking around 12 feet in the air and can’t tell what you will step on or trip over since the cover hides all the things that are on your roof like skylights, tv antennas, roof vents and stacks. Don’t think you can remember where these are located. Some of them move just trying to trip you up. Just remember 12 looking up isn’t too high but 12 foot looking down on hard ground can be frightening and worse if you fall off the coach.
gpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:59 AM   #11

Here is what we have. Fiance' used to store hers (on the left) in an enclosed unit. For what this RV port cost, it will pay itself off in 20 months for what she was paying for the enclosed unit per month. We have since added gravel going to the RV port. The RV port enclosure floor is gravel.

goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:18 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I absolutely agree as to the cost savings of putting up your own carport style cover or dedicated garage. Unfortunately there are those of us who do not have the land available for such an undertaking.

As for covered vs a cover, ours in a covered (fully) in a dedicated RV and Boat storage facility. My unit is 12x45 with brick sides and metal barn doors at either end. 110 power in two locations inside. Cost is $420 per month, elec included.

Yes, I find that charge high, however with the Texas extremes of Hot and Cold I cannot imagine leaving my rig out in the elements.

Maybe for the carport style they would let you attach tarps to each side?
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, door, outdoor, storage