Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2020, 07:12 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, the propane Bay is exposed and unlike the front compartment doesn't heat up with generator use. On the model I have it displays the inside temp and both of the remote sensors. So 3 temp displayed all at the same time
tscarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2020, 04:49 PM   #16

I bought an inexpensive remote thermometer on Amazon, and it worked well for about a year before the remote transmitter failed. So I bought an Inkbird model off Amazon. It appears to have much higher quality along with a remote probe you could run through the steering column out to the generator bay, keeping the remote transmitter indoors. I just mounted it with Velcro inside the bay without using the probe. It also has multiple channels for the transmitter. Works great thus far.

Here’s the link:

Inkbird ITH-20R Digital Hygrometer Indoor Outdoor Wireless Receiver Thermometer with Accurate Temperature Display for House Kitchen Baby Room Courtyard Brewhouse and Public Places Rainproof Function https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SPV8XXP..._1sO8Eb9QXG7RM

Inkbird has a good reputation within the home brewing community for decent quality and reasonable prices. At $18 it is a bit more than other options but I think this one will likely last longer.
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:28 PM   #17

Problem with putting a remote sensor in the generator area, which in my coach is in the very front, heat from the genny will affect your readings. I use the genny often in the hot months when traveling. The idea of putting the sensor in the propane bay is excellent. While the propane bay is not exposed to the rush of air as you drive, it should still give you a good temperature reading. Some great ideas here!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:39 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
I use a La Crosse indoor/outdoor thermometer with two remote sensors. One remote in the propane compartment and the other in basement where the water tank & plumbing is located. No problems with it.

La Crosse Technology Indoor/Outdoor Temperature WS-9160U-IT Digital Thermometer, Titianium

Another option with a wired unit would be:

DROK Digital Thermometer, DC 4-28V -50 to +125 Degree Celsius Indoor Outdoor Thermometer with Dual LED Display
I have pretty much this set-up from LaCrosse as well. I got mine at Costco and bought the additional display on Amazon.

I have the remote mounted on the dash so I can easily see what's going on outside.

The best part of the one we have is that it is connected to our hotspot so we can monitor the temps inside and out while away from the coach so we can see if it's getting too hot or too cold in side for our pets.

One of these daysI'll be able to start my generator when we are away if it get's too hot
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscarps View Post
Like others above I bought an indoor/outdoor with wireless sensors. I mounted the main unit next to the drivers seat then put one sensors in the propane Bay for outside temp and another in the wet bay to make sure it's above freezing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EYM34VM..._27GTEbCKP07Y4
I did the exact same thing, so I guess that's two votes for this unit!
Old 06-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use an indoor/outdoor thermometer on our Class C. Mounted the outdoor sensor under the cab overhang just above the drivers door. Been there 3 years now. Added bonus you get humidity and barometer readings too.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:58 AM   #21
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
How are people mounting their remote sensor in the propane bay? Velco, plastic ties, some type of bracket?
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:03 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mine is mounted with a nylon zip tie.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieGary View Post
Inkbird has a good reputation within the home brewing community for decent quality and reasonable prices.
I bought a wifi-enabled thermostat for my LiFePO4 battery heating blanket based on that reputation. And it works beautifully. That brand has my trust, FWIW.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:12 AM   #24
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks,
Will see what acceptable location I can find under there.

I have been mounting ours for several years under the PS rear BR slide where it is almost always out of direct sunlight. One does have to remember to remove it before bringing the slides in or it may get crunched. That and always having plenty of plastic ties on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Mine is mounted with a nylon zip tie.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscarps View Post
Like others above I bought an indoor/outdoor with wireless sensors. I mounted the main unit next to the drivers seat then put one sensors in the propane Bay for outside temp and another in the wet bay to make sure it's above freezing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EYM34VM..._27GTEbCKP07Y4
Don't understand the necessity of putting a second unit/sensor in the wet bay. If it's at or below freezing in the propane bay, it's gonna be the same in the wet bay!
Old 06-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #26
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Our Newmar compartments are generally heated/cooled to some degree so your statement is not entirely correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
Don't understand the necessity of putting a second unit/sensor in the wet bay. If it's at or below freezing in the propane bay, it's gonna be the same in the wet bay!
Old 06-24-2020, 01:04 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
I do it just to be sure the bay is staying above freezing. I use a small heater to keep it above freezing when traveling during winter. this gives me peace of mind without having to go outside to verify it's doing it's job.
tscarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:57 AM   #28

OK! Now I get it! My coach has no integral heater... nor do I use a portable heater. My bad and thanks for the clarification!

Tags
door, outdoor