Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
CLR

Outside drivers side mirror is spinning

Help, all of a sudden my riverside mirror is close and turns 190 degrees. How do I tighten it down. 2017 Bounder 35k
CLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2019, 04:13 PM   #2

I'm fairly certain that Fleetwood used Velvac mirrors for your model. Assuming that, there should be a screw at the bottom of the mirror head. Get out your hex wrench set as it's a 3/16" hex. Try tightening that first to see if it makes a difference.

If the mirror head is to the point where it spins easily 180° or more, then the screw itself may have fallen out and is missing. If so, you'll have to spend some time trying to acquire the correct hex screw in order to replace. If the mirror head is not spinning freely, then hopefully all it will take is to tighten the screw.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Great advice and I will add that sometimes you have to cut an Allen wrench down to about 3/4" long on the short side. That will allow it to fit under the mirror head if it's in the way of the hex screw.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:50 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR View Post
Help, all of a sudden my riverside mirror is close and turns 190 degrees. How do I tighten it down. 2017 Bounder 35k
On our Fleetwood, we have two Allen head set screws to secure the mirror. Both set screws are under a little chrome cover that is removed with a slotted screwdriver.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #5

On mine (fleetwood Expedition) the passenger side mirror regularly comes lose and rotates. Seems to happen when i go from warmer to cooler conditions for some reason. Have used black markers to indicate correct position and keep a hex wrench handy. The hex nut is behind a little pop out cover at the base of the mirror housing (backside) ( not on the bracket below the mirror itself)
Old 07-27-2019, 07:52 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Definitely indicates that either the hex bolt is extremely loose or missing. In your bank of manuals you should have a installation sheet for YOUR MIRRORs so there would be no guess work involved. Ya know - "When all else fails, READ the Book."

I haven't looked at mine since I tightened it up right after my purchase but I seem to remember the parts list having the hex bolt/screw size listed.

Let us know how you finally solved the problem as we are all continuing to learn.

Drive safe and enjoy - Richard
Old 07-27-2019, 07:58 AM   #7
CLR

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I'm fairly certain that Fleetwood used Velvac mirrors for your model. Assuming that, there should be a screw at the bottom of the mirror head. Get out your hex wrench set as it's a 3/16" hex. Try tightening that first to see if it makes a difference.

If the mirror head is to the point where it spins easily 180° or more, then the screw itself may have fallen out and is missing. If so, you'll have to spend some time trying to acquire the correct hex screw in order to replace. If the mirror head is not spinning freely, then hopefully all it will take is to tighten the screw.
It turns out our mirrors have 3 set screws, but you only see the one when the mirror is in place. When the mirror was loose, and you turned it toward the cab that's when you see all three set screws. I tightened the first one a little bit to put some tension on the mirror. Then the next one a little tighter. Then after getting the mirror into position the one set screw you can see I tightened the most.
Thanks for the quick response, another learning experience under my belt.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:01 AM   #8
CLR

Thanks to everyone for the help here is what I found.

It turns out our mirrors have 3 set screws, but you only see the one when the mirror is in place. When the mirror was loose, and you turned it toward the cab that's when you seen all three set screws. I tightened the first one a little bit to put some tension on the mirror. Then the next one a little tighter. Then after getting the mirror into position the one set screw you can see I tightened the most.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:37 AM   #9

Hmmmm. I will need to check that on my mirror. If so it might eliminate the need for fixing the mirror multiple times on each trip.....

Tags
driver