Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 09:16 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bought our motorhome new from a dealer. Unit came with OEC, have never even turned it on. Same with bedroom TV. Guess We're not typical!

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 09:35 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
We never used ours; carried around one of those boat anchor CRT televisions for no reason. Eventually gutted the space and converted it to a small workshop for that OTHER HOBBY that I have: making repairs to the motorhome! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:38 AM   #17

How often did we use the one in our last coach, never.

I'll never forget the family who sat outside of their brand new Newmar King Aire with hats, gloves, and down jackets on to watch their outside TV in 38 degree temps. It was pretty comical, but some people will use it no matter what. However I don't see many outside TV's in use as I travel around the country,
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
We use ours a lot. Ours system is mounted into the slide, so we do not loose any bay storage space. Ours has both Radio and TV in wall. We use the Radio much more than the TV, however we have had several nights where several familys have gathered around the TV to watch a movie or a football game.

If it was $1K for just the TV I would pass, but if it has both Radio & TV, I would spend the $1K. In our previous MH we did not have this option and carried around a TV, it would only take us a minute or two to set it up.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #19

I just use an under the counter TV mounting kit in my storage compartment for my LCD. I get the best of both worlds. I flip it up out of the way for storage and then bring down when I want to watch a ball game or movie. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Outside entertainment center ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I don't have an outside entertainment center but I know I value the storage space more than a TV. If I want outside TV, I can take the inside 32" flatscreen off it's articulated mount and put it's base/stand on in about 10 minutes.

My flat screen 32" outside tv is above the storage compartments under the awning so it doesn't take up any storage space. it is about 5" deep on the wall, we use it all the time.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
How often did we use the one in our last coach, never.

I'll never forget the family who sat outside of their brand new Newmar King Aire with hats, gloves, and down jackets on to watch their outside TV in 38 degree temps. It was pretty comical, but some people will use it no matter what. However I don't see many outside TV's in use as I travel around the country,
Not certain if I would do this just to watch TV but my wife and I do enjoy (occasionally) bundling up and sitting outside to smell the cold air and drink our coffee (maybe with a little something in it ).

Regarding an outdoor TV...we don't have our MH yet but it WILL have an outdoor TV/entertainment center. At our house we have an outdoor patio TV mounted on a swivel that we can watch at the patio table or swivel it out to watch the game while floating in the pool. I love having an outdoor TV and music but realize that campgrounds are closer together so must be a little more careful with the volume.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #22

We use ours and it also is good for the grandkids to sit outside and watch TV while we are getting meals ready ect. We find it relaxing to sit outside at night and watch sporting events ect. I like the mounted version we have as it takes up very little room and to set up you just open the door and turn on the TV. If I had to take mine from inside, I probably wouldn't do it.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #23

We watched the NCAA national championship and Super Bowl on ours. Other than that, I leave the extra tv at home.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:30 PM   #24

I think this is going to be one of those situations that is connected to what you normally do at your S+B. In my case, the older I get, the less interest I have in watching TV ... I prefer to read or chat with my wife (or others).
Old 08-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use the outside system (TV moved from the RV's garage - it's a Toy Hauler) anytime we are outside.
The stereo gets much more play than the TV.

But, we are VERY cautious to avoid effecting the neighbors when in campgrounds. The way ours is set-up, the stereo speakers are at chest height and the TV is a mount in a campsite side bin (no/low glare)...perfect to keep the volume low.

If the speakers an/or TV was up-high, we would be less inclined to use them because we have been near RV's set-up like that and the sound was projected 5-6 campsites away

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My rig does not have an entertainment center outside but I have created one that I can use if I want to. I have an HDMI wireless transmitter and receiver so I can put a 32" HD LCD in the storage bay and hook it up to get the satellite box.

I always consider the sound as well. I hate to hear someone else's radio, TV or music speakers running as though they are the only ones in the park. At most campgrounds, it would be almost impossible not to interfere with the peace and quiet that most campers go there to get, so they can get away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. If you are tailgating or at a race event, etc., where everyone is ok with it, that's another story.

When I did use this setup, I hooked some wireless headphones on the TV so as not to bother another camper. DW did not want to watch golf outside (or inside) but it worked for me.

However, the weather has been so hot or so cold or so mesquito'y, etc. that we only spend time outside when the weather is really nice. And then I would rather just enjoy the beauty of the place and weather. So I haven't used this setup in over a year. Of course, we are retired and no young kids in the mix so our choices are less action oriented. The A/C has a lot to do with it too.

To answer your question, whether you get a rig with built in or added outside entertainment, be mindful of other campers if you choose to use it. We don't go to commercial RV parks unless travelling overnight. We always use state, national, federal parks because the spaces are usually bigger and more nature to enjoy. Thus, more peace and quiet.

JMTCW

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:55 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
When shopping for our MH, one criteria was that it NOT have an OEC. Although we had one in a previous RV, didn't use it much, plus we'd rather have the storage space.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:18 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
We use it A LOT, camping, tailgating, also travel baseball games. Wouldn't buy one without one!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote