RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 10:50 AM   #1

Oven Suggestions - I'm a Bread Baker

I'm a bread baker and own a Newmar Mountain Aire Class A. I have a Frigidaire CFMV154CLSA, circulating ductless over the range convection oven / microwave. It's on a 15AMP circuit, weighs 70# gross, 13" deep, 16.5" high and 30" wide. The issue is that I need an oven that gets me to 450 degrees to bake my bread the way it's intended and I need the bottom of the oven to be as hot at the top for even cooking. The current oven only goes to 425 degrees and the heat source is from above so the bottom of my bread doesn't crisp up as I would like. Can anyone refer me to a possible replacement? One of my joys is baking sour dough and focaccia bread and sharing it with neighbors as we travel around the country on #comettrails. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
bdanzansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe look at a toaster oven that you can place on a counter.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:53 AM   #3

Portable bread maker... All ovens in the RVs only produce burnt food!!
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #4

There are conventional ovens still available that will probably fit under your range. They're propane fired but I only found one that would go to 450 one of the others topped out at 400 or didn't specify. I'd get on the computer and start searching for RV oven and choose your poison. You might also want to check for a boat oven, many times the boat stuff is better but it's probably going to be expensive. You'll probably have to have some cabinetry work done and run a propane line for it to work but it might be a solution. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #5

I'm a bread baker, too, and I have had such good luck with my convection/micro combination (after a few alterations of recipes) that I have to wonder if your fan is working right.

The fan keeps the heat evenly distributed, so there's no "the top is burning while the bottom is cold" issue. I also usually need to adjust temps down from what a recipe calls for. If I'm looking for a 450 result (i.e. what would happen with a non-convec oven), I'm usually setting it at 420.

You're not using a stone or a second baking pan under the bread pan, are you? That doesn't work well in a convection oven. A stone is great for diffusing high heat coming from a bottom element or flame, but just keeps the bottom of a pan from heating up in a convection oven. You don't need the bottom insulator in the convection oven.

If it's a small oven, you also need to make sure you're leaving room around all sides of the bread and pan for air movement. If your pan is too wide, your bottoms will be colder.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgomez1976 View Post
Portable bread maker... All ovens in the RVs only produce burnt food!!
^^^What he said^^^ A bread maker is the solution.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:32 PM   #7

One thing you need is an accurate oven thermometer. If possible, measure the actual temperature in a known-good oven so you at least have a starting point. The settings are pretty much meaningless; my convection oven only reaches actual 375F even when set to 450F, so it's accurate up to 375F and tops out there.

A 25F difference is practically nothing, but the difference between actual and set may be maybe 100F at the high end.

Also, a dark pan may give a crispier bottom than a shiny one.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:47 PM   #8

Go to rv recycle r or any store that sell rv ovens measure the cook top remove install oven you will loose a couple drawers but its a pretty easy to switch it out,
Old 09-28-2020, 08:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataska View Post
Go to rv recycle r or any store that sell rv ovens measure the cook top remove install oven you will loose a couple drawers but its a pretty easy to switch it out,

But, see above before you waste your money. RV ovens might as well be TV ovens.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
But, see above before you waste your money. RV ovens might as well be TV ovens.
Not sure want your, sayin RV oven won't fit a loaf of bread or RV oven will burn your bread ether way we like our oven.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataska View Post
Not sure want your, sayin RV oven won't fit a loaf of bread or RV oven will burn your bread ether way we like our oven.

Same as others above, I am saying that RV ovens don't cook very evenly or accurately, and for baking that would be an even bigger problem than for other cooking. Breadmaker or convection oven seem to be the way to go.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #12

I only have experience with old school popup and TT ovens they get very hot on the bottom and will burn your biscuits . I was able to find right size air bake pans to relieve that , some used stones or tiles. Included with your micro/convection oven should have been some stands to let air circulate underneath.
You could get creative and heat a cast iron comal on stove and slide it under the stand . Don't set directly on the glass plate or it would shatter. I use enamel Dutch oven to make crusty old world type breads. It works like steam oven to make crusty bread. Maybe thicker type pan may may spread the heat better. I confess I haven't used mine as convection because I'm seldom plugged in besides to 3000watt inv.genny.
It may not be your thing or as convenient besides not heating up interior RV. I have cooked about everything possible in a camping Lodge brand Dutch oven with charcoals or camp fire coals over the years. I'll even use when at home during the summer. Best pot roast you'll ever taste .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote