Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #1

Oven Use While Rolling . . .

This doesn't feel right but I will ask anyway. Has anyone operated their oven to warm food while the motor home is rolling? I've never felt comfortable doing this but if the fridge is going on propane, why not use the oven to warm food (or cook a chicken!) so its cooked upon arrival?
Thought about this many times but does not sound like the safe thing to do. Opinion?
Ginny Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #2

You might cosider watching Lucile Ball in "The Long, Long Trailer". It has a reasonable example of what might happen.
Kent & Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
So long as the interior is vented well I don't really see an issue outside of rolling over bumps. They typically aren't directly vented outside, CO would be my main concern.

I'd crack a couple of windows and pay close attention the first time, maybe too much attention at first.

I'm sure somebody as done it.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Not the best idea...

Hot food bouncing around in an even Hotter oven = DISASTER!

How about doing what I do....
Cook it at home or while at a camp site, freeze or refrigerate and microwave it to warm up.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #5

I have always wanted to try what the airplane mechanic on the old "Wings" series did, put BBQ sauce on a chicken, wrap it in aluminum foil, and place it in the engine compartment. When you get to where you are going, open the engine compartment, and you have nice hot.... "Car-B-Que"

Now back to your regularly scheduled post!

Harold

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The oven works fine, just as if it were standing still. Whether the food survives the bouncing is another question.

Seriously, the oven doesn't know or care if it is moving. I suppose an open flame could be an issue if you were in a rollover accident, though. But then,I would have MANY, MANY concerns in such an accident.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
A friend of ours has a 12V powered crock pot. They put it in the sink sitting on a towel. Apparently it does a good job and when they stop for dinner, it's ready.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:30 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Zee View Post
This doesn't feel right but I will ask anyway. Has anyone operated their oven to warm food while the motor home is rolling? I've never felt comfortable doing this but if the fridge is going on propane, why not use the oven to warm food (or cook a chicken!) so its cooked upon arrival?
Thought about this many times but does not sound like the safe thing to do. Opinion?
From your statement, it is hard to tell if you are in a motor home, a travel trailer or a pickup camper or what. I think you are talking about using a propane oven. In our case we have a MH and have a inverter. We could use the convection oven if wanted, or use a crock pot if wanted and bake or cook something going down the road. Saying that we have not done it but could. I see nothing wrong with it.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wouldn't do it. My concern is that the contents of the cooking dish would slosh around and make a mess. Also, the cooking dish itself would bounce from side to side. I don't think it is worth it.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:43 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Cooking with an open flame [which an oven has] is a no-no from a fire safety point.
If you are cooking something that produces gease laden vapors you could have a nice little fire on your hands if the gease ever ignited.
The crock pot also has it's dangers for a electrical fire. Example: pot breaks contents spill into sink electric shorts out causing electrical fire.
Cooking appliances are made for cooking on a safe level stationary surface. Driving down the road is not stationary.
Now having put in my 2 cents, each one of us must do what we feel we are comfortable doing.
If we are going to a rally and the first night is a pot-luck dinner we cook the food to about 80% done and than the DW will finish cooking while I do the hooking up when we get to where we are going.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with the question of what your RV is. We travel in a motorhome, and I cook in the micro/convection oven while traveling all the time, and in the crockpot (set in the sink as mentioned above) many times, but I can monitor everything and insure there are no issues. The only issue I ever had was when I didn't put the crockpot in the sink, set it on the stove while cooking leg of lamb in red wine sauce, it toppled over and made and ENORMOUS mess. Thus, the securing of it in the sink. If I weren't in the RV (as in travel trailer,truck camper, 5th wheel, etc.), I wouldn't let anything cook without being there to watch over it.

p.s. DH's favorite thing is when I make brownies on the road... smells so good and we can't wait to eat them!

Brenda, of...
Old 05-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: Everyone has to decide for themsleves on stuff like this. We have been doing it for over 40 years from everything from a self-contained camper to motor homes and have had no trouble. That doesn't mean that you should do it, only that it works for us.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:57 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
We have cooked in the oven while driving. No big deal. Make sure the food can handle the movement.

Lucille Ball didn't have that part of the job done.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsavage View Post
. . . while cooking leg of lamb in red wine sauce, it toppled over and made and ENORMOUS mess.

p.s. DH's favorite thing is when I make brownies on the road... smells so good and we can't wait to eat them!

Brenda, of...
Losing the leg of lamb in red wine sauce is the real disaster . .

Brownies - Amen! . . and Yeah, Man!
My DW baked brownies once (many years ago) while we were inside a shop getting some repairs (a Cadillac/Chrysler dealer, believe it or not, up in Maine years ago.) Pretty soon everyone in the shop was checking to see where it was coming from, and how they could get in on it. They were a huge hit.