Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I believe I said to try that in post #2.

BTW: 5th and 6th are both overdrives, 4 is 1:1 through the trans. 5th is .75:1 and 6th is .65:1.
It was explained perfectly Mr_D.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #16

I guess I'm in 'dense' mode today! It still looks like you are saying that the mode light has to be on for you to get it into 6th gear. That just doesn't sound right.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:46 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When you press the mode button and the red light comes on the transmission goes to econ mode and shifts according to a pre programmed schedule. You should use the ECON mode, (red light on) all the time except when you need higher rpm in mountains for cooling. Press the button, look for the red light, the transmission will shift into the most efficient gear and lock up the torque converter... Take care, seeya on the road..
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #18

Right, but the trans WILL go into 6th whether the mode (Econ) button is pushed or not. Just at perhaps a different rpm/load?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Right, but the trans WILL go into 6th whether the mode (Econ) button is pushed or not. Just at perhaps a different rpm/load?
Both modes use all six gears. In the econ mode, it will stay in 6th longer when climbing rolling hills before it down shifts to 5th than it will before the nomal mode will down shift. Econ mode should save a bit of fuel.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #20

crockett's rig appears to be a newer one, and in so much as the transmission is computer controlled, it can be programmed to any scheme requested by the chassis or coach mfg.
It is possible, that it in fact is programmed to only shifts into 6th in econo mode.
I guess it might depend on who was working that day on trans programming...
it is Possible that mode off would require mach 1+ ( read as a high rate of speed )
before the rpm reached "shift point" and the coach mfg deemed this too high for the coach to safely operate or to prevent it from shifting to 6th in power mode while in hilly territory. causing it to continually "seek" shifting up and down over and over. . . . .
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #21

My brother Mike AD7FG works for Safeway driving 18 wheelers. says some of the yard donkeys use the same MD3060 trans, but they are programmed to only use 1,2, (and maybe 3ed gear).. (even though it is a 6 speed trans ) and the donkeys are off road use only and "never" leave the yard. ( I think limited to about 30 mph max )
IE the trans can be configured to any requested / required algorithm ......
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7uxe View Post
correct, it should have shifted up from what you describe.
Might check to see if any codes are showing.
might have been too hot, or something else putting it in restriction mode.
If you lucky, it will have stored a code.
Remember, codes will clear after "X" amount of starts..
Bottom line, if it's new, take it back.... The Allison is a pretty good transmission..
I believe if you have the push button trans, if you start, or key on, push the up and down arrow at the same time.. It will display codes, and if equipped, tell you if your low on trans fluid etc.. then I think the mode button will increment stored codes.. D1---- or D2---- up to 5..Pushing the D N or R will take it out of diag mode. if you would like more info, let me know, I'll e-mail you the Allison cheat sheet... 8-)
Please email me the cheat sheet peter.dumont@gmail.com