Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 07:21 PM   #1

Question Over-the-door awning...thoughts on brands, installation, etc.

One thing we don't have that we are realizing we want is an over-the-door awning. The amount of sun and rain that comes through the screen door is bit more than we thought we'd get, but our old 5-er had a large patio awning that was over the door as well, so we never had to deal with that.

Not sure if it really has to be powered or not, being that they only extend a couple of feet, but maybe those of you that have one can tell me how important that is or isn't.

Having done so many things on my RV myself that I never would have dreamed of a few years ago, I'm not at all bothered by thought of installing this myself. Again, others who have done so might be able to give me a heads-up if there are things that make this a lot more complex than a few mounting screws and some good Dicor sealant.

Would love to hear from owners as to what brand they have, what they think of it, etc. Thanks for any and all advice!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 07:35 PM   #2

I have a manual Carefree of Colorado door awning, it works great to keep rain out of the doorway. The only downside is, each side has a latching button to hold the constant spring pressure when the awning is extended. Retraction is a bear for me @78, as each button must be pushed in at the same time and the awning supports are 5' apart, buttons are located over my head. When I get both buttons in enough for the supports to allow retraction It's all I can do to hold the spring retraction.
Those are no longer made, 1999 model door awning.
I would not buy a motorized one because they stick straight out instead of slanting down @ about 45° angle like mine.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I have a manual Carefree of Colorado door awning, it works great to keep rain out of the doorway. The only downside is, each side has a latching button to hold the constant spring pressure when the awning is extended. Retraction is a bear for me @78, as each button must be pushed in at the same time and the awning supports are 5' apart, buttons are located over my head. When I get both buttons in enough for the supports to allow retraction It's all I can do to hold the spring retraction.
Those are no longer made, 1999 model door awning.
I would not buy a motorized one because they stick straight out instead of slanting down @ about 45° angle like mine.
Thanks, Ray. Good info!
Old 11-20-2020, 08:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Over the years I’ve bought several electric Girard lateral arm door awnings for less than $300...best door awning made. Currently a 74” $500 one on EBay BUT local PU in NJ.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Over the years I’ve bought several electric Girard lateral arm door awnings for less than $300...best door awning made. Currently a 74” $500 one on EBay BUT local PU in NJ.
Nice looking product. Thanks! Any issues in installing them yourself?
Old 11-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

My view is the opposite of Ray,IN - my Carefree door awning was pure decoration and not functional at all. Too high up and too small to give any meaningful rain protection to someone climbing the steps to open the door. I suppose in a gentle, straight-down rain it helps, but not in most of the rains we experienced.

My Carefree was manual but had no side supports to release. It cranked in/out with an extension rod that turned a crank on the roller tube. Easy. The newer version of it is electric.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:24 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The one on EBay...$500 has 2 mounting brackets that do not seal the back. The ones I’ve installed slide into a J track that you have to space out from the side about 1/2” because of the trim piece between the front cap and the side. The J track supports and seals it and 2-3 screws at the bottom holds it in place.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
My view is the opposite of Ray,IN - my Carefree door awning was pure decoration and not functional at all. Too high up and too small to give any meaningful rain protection to someone climbing the steps to open the door. I suppose in a gentle, straight-down rain it helps, but not in most of the rains we experienced.

My Carefree was manual but had no side supports to release. It cranked in/out with an extension rod that turned a crank on the roller tube. Easy. The newer version of it is electric.
The Girard has a 3'3" projection. I'm hoping that will be far enough out to make it worthwhile! Do you remember what yours was, by any chance?
Old 11-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
The one on EBay...$500 has 2 mounting brackets that do not seal the back. The ones I’ve installed slide into a J track that you have to space out from the side about 1/2” because of the trim piece between the front cap and the side. The J track supports and seals it and 2-3 screws at the bottom holds it in place.
So, are you saying that the one on eBay is not what I should be looking for because they don't seal the back, or just that it is different than the kind you have used?
Old 11-20-2020, 12:23 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
A pull-out awning made for windows might work fine. You just have to figure out where to put the hook for the strap that holds it down.

Another nice thing about mid entry, the big awning keeps the rain off 10 feet each side as well!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #11

over door awning

I with GaryRVRoamer i also have a carefree awning over the door mine is electric but it also 2 small to do anything meaningful
TGAWLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
A pull-out awning made for windows might work fine. You just have to figure out where to put the hook for the strap that holds it down.

Another nice thing about mid entry, the big awning keeps the rain off 10 feet each side as well!
Yeah, we love mid-entries ourselves but finding one in 2020 models was next to impossible and to get the exact floor plan with the features we wanted AND mid-entry was DEFINITELY impossible!
Old 11-20-2020, 12:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGAWLAK View Post
I with GaryRVRoamer i also have a carefree awning over the door mine is electric but it also 2 small to do anything meaningful
OK, thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
So, are you saying that the one on eBay is not what I should be looking for because they don't seal the back, or just that it is different than the kind you have used?
Both although the sealing issue could be solved by adding an aluminum angle over the top. I’ve mounted mine angled down towards the front, not level for better rain runoff.

Tags
awning, door, install