Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #1

Overactive Air Compressor

Our coach has air ride and leveling. When we park we always level and then turn off the automatic leveling system.

Lately the air compressor sporadically runs. Maybe a few seconds, maybe up to 15 seconds. Up to twenty times a day, sometimes several times an hour. It has no effect on the coach level.

Originally when the air tanks were dumped to purge moisture they just ran until empty. Now one specific valve when opened immediately causes the pump to run continuously.

I should add that after a week both the front and rear tanks are low when starting up which certainly appears like a slow leak.

I have tried to test for leaks with soapy water but no luck so far. However, the open valve causing the pump to run baffles me.

Any thoughts on this? Many thanks.
TurtleBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #2

So why after you level the coach do you turn off the leveling system? Are you hitting emergency stop or how are you turning it off. The auxiliary air compressor should only run if the main air tanks get below 105 psi and the leveling system is commanding a up on one of the bags to touch up the leveling. The leveling system normally stays active and will check and relevel evry so often. If you do turn off the leveling system via the Emergency Off button on the leveling control panel then the system should never be giving an up command to any of the bags so the compressor should never commanded to on. The only possibility I can think of is that either the pressure switch on the compressor has a problem or there is a leak on the compressor unit but that still doesn't make sense because there is no 12 volts sent to run the compressor unless the leveling system is commanding a up to one of the positions. If you turn the leveling system off using the emergebcy stop then will the coach stay level after 3-5 days?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBack View Post
Our coach has air ride and leveling. When we park we always level and then turn off the automatic leveling system.

Lately the air compressor sporadically runs. Maybe a few seconds, maybe up to 15 seconds. Up to twenty times a day, sometimes several times an hour. It has no effect on the coach level.

Originally when the air tanks were dumped to purge moisture they just ran until empty. Now one specific valve when opened immediately causes the pump to run continuously.

I should add that after a week both the front and rear tanks are low when starting up which certainly appears like a slow leak.

I have tried to test for leaks with soapy water but no luck so far. However, the open valve causing the pump to run baffles me.

Any thoughts on this? Many thanks.
Your pump and pressure switch is up stream of the air tanks. The levelers are down stream of the tanks. When you turn off the solenoids to the levelers which are up stream of the levelers and down stream of the tanks you have no leak.

So I would have to say that some where between the air switch and the solenoids to the levelers has to be a leak.

Look where a fitting or air line might be rubbing against the chassis. Or maybe a bad ferrell in the fitting. I have not had any bad ferrell's as of yet but I have found a hole rub into a fitting that was tied off to the chassis.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #4

Mike, the Power Gear control panel has a power off switch which we use after leveling. There is no emergency stop that I am aware of. Frankly I just didn't want to hear any adjustments at all since the coach never got off-level enough to matter.

The coach can sit for weeks and not get out of alignment even when I manually set the front higher than the back.

Perhaps the sensors still worked anyway but I didn't know it until this problem started up. But it still puzzles me why all but one of the tanks can be bled off without triggering the compressor. Yes there must be a leak somewhere.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Turtleback:

Did you ever find the problem, I'am having same problem with My 2008 Dynasty when On level ground Inside My shop. My Compressor kicks in Every Two Minutes right on schedule, EVEN when I Shut down Power Gear It still Kicks on until I remove Fuse. I have had it into a shop, They checked for leaks, Found NONE. Hopefully You have the answer.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #6

Well I've kinda put this on the back burner. However, this is what I have discovered.

The compressor, which is just behind the front axle, is an auxilliary compressor used to keep the coach level when parked. It is wired direct to the leveling system so will operate even if the Power Gear panel is turned off.

It has been suggested that the pressure sensitive switch is bad by Monaco tech people. They also indicated that this could also cause the problem of the compressor starting when the rear tank is bled - see above.

My solution at the moment, since the coach doesn't get out of level anyway, was to disconnect one of the electrical wires at the switch, which is right at the compressor. It can never fire up now - it's quiet and I'm happy - although someday I'll get around to replacing the switch.

I still think I have a slow leak but haven't found that either. Good luck on finding yours.

Tags
compressor