Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2021, 07:27 PM   #1

Overhead bed – Energize lights without full deployment?

This question is also posted in the Fleetwood owners section. Please forgive me for posting this in the general Class A section. I am hoping someone here may have an answer who doesn't necessarily have a Fleetwood RV.

I have a 28 foot 2014 Fleetwood Storm, with the drop down bed over the driver/passenger dash area. New to me, so I need your help with the “safety” feature involving the lights above the overhead bed. The lights do not have 12v power until the overhead bed is fully deployed. Once the bed is fully down, the lights have power.
Does anyone know how to defeat this “safety feature” so that the lights can be energized without the bed full descended? The front of the coach is quite dark and these lights would help a lot if they could come on with the bed partially lowered. And the cat could hang out up there while we would be able to see our way around the front of the coach.
So, thanks for listening, but to the point – Anybody have experience successfully finding and defeating this “safety feature?” Is there an accessible switch or relay that can be bypassed to allow the lights to have power without full deployment of the bed? Please let me know if you can help me kill this annoyance.
Thanking you in advance,
Notayurt
Notayurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2021, 07:30 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Somewhere the bed triggers a switch. Find the switch and eliminate it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:48 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
So I have owned 2 recent Fleetwood's, both equipped with the drop down bed. My previous was a 2016 Bounder and my current coach is a 2019 Southwind.

I do not know about any limiting switch for the lights on either of these coaches.

Both RV's I had have had two separate sets of lights...

The first set is on the bottom of the movable bed, which could light up the driver and passenger seat area when the bed is up against the ceiling. The switch was down by the stairs and door.

The second set of lights were on the ceiling of the RV to give light to the bed area when the bed was lowered for use. This was a different switch which was located in a cabinet up in the bed area on the passenger side.

Maybe yours is similar?

Hope this helps.
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:39 PM   #4

Thanks for answering, but my coach has no lights on the underside of the bed when fully raised. There is no switch that I can see anywhere affecting this while raised or deployed. .Hence, my post.

I have dealt with TV circuits preventing TV viewing while the coach is driven (Pace Arrow) so I am familiar that there could a similar module preventing current through-put without the bed being fully deployed.

So I ask again. Anybody know where to look or what wires to explore to prevent this cutoff of power as soon as the bed begins to raise?
Old 10-13-2021, 08:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Somewhere the bed triggers a switch. Find the switch and eliminate it.

Exactly. That's what I am seeking help with. I am asking if you might know where this "somewhere" switch might be. So, any ideas, other than to restate my problem?

Tags
light, lights