Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2019, 03:38 AM   #43

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Terre Haute Indiana, at the junction of I 70 & US 41N, there is a cracker Barrel , 429 E Margaret Dr, Terre Haute, IN 47802, with RV parking.

Google maps satellite view will show you an accurate view of the area.
We have over-nighted there several times, each time I ask the manager for permission, and was invited to overnight and have dinner and breakfast.(it's a courtesy gesture, even though unnecessary)

There is a WalMart about 1 mile North of the intersection of I 70 and IN 46 intersection; I've never stopped there, over-night parking must be OK because Google map shows semi's parked there. Again, Google maps is a great aid for seeing it before you arrive. As you've already guessed, I live close by.
This weather and road conditions website should be quite helpful, even though it is originally designed for Western states.

AFTERTHOUGHT: There is ongoing heavy interstate construction(I 465/I 69) on the East side of Indy, plan for delays/heavy traffic near that intersection. You will be going straight West so watch for signage to stay on I 70.
Thanks Ray, I use Google Maps extensively and have checked out that Cracker Barrel, it is good to hear from someone who has actually stayed there. Regarding I 465/I 69), getting around Indy is the worst part of this trip, I prefer to take the bypass to the south but it is usually pretty heavy traffic too with multiple lane changes required. Is the northern bypass any better? It looks like it is a little longer.
Vibeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2019, 03:41 AM   #44

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundwaldo View Post
Oh be aware Missouri actually uses a combination of beer juice with it's salt. That is probably why things get dirtier.
Beer juice, haha! I am sure you mean beet juice, we raise a lot of sugar beets up here in Michigan's thumb.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:48 AM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachC View Post
Last year our 1st stop out of Michigan was at the KOA in Terre Haute. Scheduled stay for 2 nights to de-winterize the coach. That went well but when were were to depart the starter on our motorhome went south...without us
Ended up at that KOA for a total of 8 nights until we were able to get towed to the VoMack shop in town and get a new starter. Unfortunately our original departure schedule was departing on December 30. With the New Year holiday weekend coming up getting a tow company and finding the shop were the challenge. Thus an 8 day stay.
The KOA worked great for us though. No issues there. At least we were in a spot with full hook-ups so the long stay was not a problem.
Looks to me like you're doing some good planning wherever you end up.
Best of luck and enjoy the journey!

Cheers
That sounds like a case of good luck/bad luck! I suppose it is another reason not to de-winterize until we get into warmer weather too.
thanks
Old 11-21-2019, 05:18 AM   #46

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post
Beer juice, haha! I am sure you mean beet juice, we raise a lot of sugar beets up here in Michigan's thumb.
Sorry yes auto correct. Lol
Old 11-21-2019, 06:18 AM   #47

Why not stop at a campground so you can plug into the electricity, keep furnace on and get a good night sleep There is a campground in Cloverdale Ind that is 6 hrs 365 miles from saginaw mi that might be doable
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:18 PM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtrk99 View Post
Why not stop at a campground so you can plug into the electricity, keep furnace on and get a good night sleep There is a campground in Cloverdale Ind that is 6 hrs 365 miles from saginaw mi that might be doable
thanks pushtrk99, we will look into the Cloverdale RV Park. It is 399 miles from us and close to I-70.
-Ken
Old 11-21-2019, 05:54 PM   #49

We carry a Mr Buddy propane heater that can run 4-6 hours on a 1 lb bottle for emergency heat when no elec is available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr Heater.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	267571  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #50

Depending on time of day and weather you may want to vary route through Indy. There are 3 choices. From I-69 go 465W to 70W, 465S to 70W (I would NOT go this way in coach!), or 465S to 70W. In a car all 3 routes times roughly the same for us. (We have to take one to get to airport.) So check traffic if you can a bit before getting to 465.

Also there is a rest stop just west of Indy on 70. There is a Walmart as you get to 46 (First Terra Haute exit) it was not there when I was in school but even back then 46 was a good road. Do note slides are kind of a no no for most slots at rest stops and also at truck stops. (They make you take more than one space.)

Frankly if I was in your shoes I'd look for a campground so I could plug in and maybe de-winterize. But depends on what your coach is and has. Ours has basement heat and needs water for toilets.

Tom
Old 11-21-2019, 11:03 PM   #51

Quote:
Thanks Ray, I use Google Maps extensively and have checked out that Cracker Barrel, it is good to hear from someone who has actually stayed there. Regarding I 465/I 69), getting around Indy is the worst part of this trip, I prefer to take the bypass to the south but it is usually pretty heavy traffic too with multiple lane changes required. Is the northern bypass any better? It looks like it is a little longer.
I over-explained(there I go,rambling again) just stay on I 70 Westbound. I was trying to explain the intersection of I 70/I 465.
I 465/ future I 69, on the East side of Indy from what is now IN 37(will be I 69) on the South side of Indy is being totally rebuilt/upgraded to Interstate status all the way to I 69 on the North side of Indy.
It may be completed by 2030 at the present rate.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:27 AM   #52

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
We carry a Mr Buddy propane heater that can run 4-6 hours on a 1 lb bottle for emergency heat when no elec is available.
I guess that would work if you left a window open for ventilation.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:51 AM   #53

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by THenman View Post
Depending on time of day and weather you may want to vary route through Indy. There are 3 choices. From I-69 go 465W to 70W, 465S to 70W (I would NOT go this way in coach!), or 465S to 70W. In a car all 3 routes times roughly the same for us. (We have to take one to get to airport.) So check traffic if you can a bit before getting to 465.

Also there is a rest stop just west of Indy on 70. There is a Walmart as you get to 46 (First Terra Haute exit) it was not there when I was in school but even back then 46 was a good road. Do note slides are kind of a no no for most slots at rest stops and also at truck stops. (They make you take more than one space.)

Frankly if I was in your shoes I'd look for a campground so I could plug in and maybe de-winterize. But depends on what your coach is and has. Ours has basement heat and needs water for toilets.

Tom
Thanks THenman, also RayIN. I have taken I-69/I-465 S/I-70W (70-W through Indy/465 S around the SOUTH side of Indy) but have never driven I-69/465-W/ to 70W (around the NORTH side of Indy) sounds like due to construction on the EAST side of Indy I should take the NORTH loop instead.

I think.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #54

Quote:
I guess that would work if you left a window open for ventilation.

We never leave a window open. We have used this heater for probably 50 nights now and never had a problem. There is a safety shut off if the oxygen level gets too low, but in a RV they are not sealed that tight.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #55

Quote:
Thanks THenman, also RayIN. I have taken I-69/I-465 S/I-70W (70-W through Indy/465 S around the SOUTH side of Indy) but have never driven I-69/465-W/ to 70W (around the NORTH side of Indy) sounds like due to construction on the EAST side of Indy I should take the NORTH loop instead.

I think.
Unless you are coming through on a weekend or over night, I wouldn't worry about construction. Yes there was a ton of construction on 465 this year, but it has mostly wound down except for maybe nights and weekends. As I said before, just drove Mich to westside of Indy last month and the only real construction was around Anderson north of Indy. Both travel lanes are still opened, but shifted and rough in places. Even that is MUCH better than it was last year.

I drive the north and west sides of 465 a lot and I haven't had lane restrictions during the day for over two months.

I personally prefer the 465 loop over going through town. The north & south splits downtown Indy on 70 gets more exciting than I usually care for anything other than the car.

One other note. The north and west sides are pretty much all new pavement for a nicer ride. The south side is still original concrete for a large portion since as mentioned, they are waiting for the new I69 tie-in to be completed. Additionally, the north/west combination has more completed 4+ travel lanes for less traffic density than the southside's 3 lanes. Much easier to just sit out 1 or 2 lanes with the truckers and stay away from the exit ramp excitement.

Steve
Old 11-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #56

I use 465, north side to 465 south on west side of INDY to I70 frequently. Usually stay in middle or 2nd lane on right side of road. Your only problem while traveling the 55mph speed limit will be the other traffic passing on both sides.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote