RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2018, 10:51 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinCondo View Post
Flying J and Pilot merged in 2010, so that leaves Loves and TA as competitors. Just like the airlines if you have no competition, you can charge what you want. At least the airlines are somewhat regulated. I don't mind paying a little more at the truck stops as I get in and out much quicker and my tank fills up 4 times as fast.

Lately the truck stop lines have been longer for some reason and when it’s busy the pumps slow way down.

I will pay a little for convenience too but 40-60 cents more per gallon is a bit steep.

Thanks

Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 05:16 AM   #72

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
I don’t think we are complaining, just observations on recent changes at truck stops as apposed to regular stations. Usually they are in line with each other.

Thanks

Rick
I always thought it would be safer to purchase fuel at a place that turns over fuel in higher volumes,= Less contamination possibilities.
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:56 AM   #73

Diesel has a pretty strong shelf life. Statistics show, there is never more than an 8-10 day supply of fuel in the U.S. anywhere other than government reserves. Similar to grocery stores...everything there turns over an average of every four days.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:10 PM   #74

As far as fuel stations, the opposite is true on high volume stations. Everytime delivery trucks fill the tanks, everything gets stirred up. I have passed up filling at stations if I see a delivery tank filling the storage tanks. A low volume fuel station actually has a better chance of water and contaminates settling to the bottom of the storage tank and staying there.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
I always thought it would be safer to purchase fuel at a place that turns over fuel in higher volumes,= Less contamination possibilities.

I could be wrong, but wouldn’t it be going through a filter first and then another time on the vehicle?

Rick
Old 05-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
As far as fuel stations, the opposite is true on high volume stations. Everytime delivery trucks fill the tanks, everything gets stirred up. I have passed up filling at stations if I see a delivery tank filling the storage tanks. A low volume fuel station actually has a better chance of water and contaminates settling to the bottom of the storage tank and staying there.

That makes sense, same is true with hot water tanks.

I wonder how they know if water has gotten into the tanks during a night storm when they are closed and it may have receded. Maybe an alarm? Or nothing at all?

Rick
Old 05-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #77

Quote:
I could be wrong, but wouldn’t it be going through a filter first and then another time on the vehicle?

Rick
Yes Rick,
I see the filters at the pumps and they are dated. Plus On my Coach there are 3 Fuel Filters before its hits the pump. I've never had a fuel issue and I use Flying J exclusively, easy in and easy out.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #78

Quote:
Yes Rick,

I see the filters at the pumps and they are dated. Plus On my Coach there are 3 Fuel Filters before its hits the pump. I've never had a fuel issue and I use Flying J exclusively, easy in and easy out.

I assumed they would have filters for their protection but wasn’t sure.

Why did you choose flying J, just curious what they offer that you like?

Thanks

Rick
Old 05-25-2018, 08:21 AM   #79

Quote:

Rick

Yes the pumps have filters on them, but they also filter alot of fuel every day for their size. I'm only guessing here, but I would think they have a bypass flow on them when full vs shutting down the pump.
The vehicle filter will also filter the fuel and will shut down the engine when plugged, usually not a good thing. Even a partial fuel filter restriction will cause injector pump issues and result in premature wear. CHANGE FUEL FILTERS OFTEN.
Flying J is usually not the best bargain fuel on the road, but you pay for convenience and location.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:57 AM   #80

Quote:
I assumed they would have filters for their protection but wasn’t sure.

Why did you choose flying J, just curious what they offer that you like?

Thanks

Rick
I use Flying J/Pilot based on convenience- I always have the Race Trailer in Tow, hence- easy in and out. In addition I have stayed overnight numerous times without any issues. I can get a good meal at Denny's if I'm hungry. Plus Fuel discounts.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:09 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post

Yes the pumps have filters on them, but they also filter alot of fuel every day for their size. I'm only guessing here, but I would think they have a bypass flow on them when full vs shutting down the pump.
The vehicle filter will also filter the fuel and will shut down the engine when plugged, usually not a good thing. Even a partial fuel filter restriction will cause injector pump issues and result in premature wear. CHANGE FUEL FILTERS OFTEN.
Flying J is usually not the best bargain fuel on the road, but you pay for convenience and location.

I doubt there’s a bypass, probably not much debris in the tanks mostly moisture.

I wouldn’t want a bypass on my coach.

Thanks

Rick
Old 05-25-2018, 09:11 PM   #82

Quote:
I use Flying J/Pilot based on convenience- I always have the Race Trailer in Tow, hence- easy in and out. In addition I have stayed overnight numerous times without any issues. I can get a good meal at Denny's if I'm hungry. Plus Fuel discounts.

I usually use loves or pilot until they jacked up the prices way above competitors.

How does the point system work, I use the card but have never noticed any discounts?

Rick

Tags
diesel