Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2021, 02:57 PM   #43

We have a Winnebago 27N. It's 29 feet long, three slides big tanks and readily sleeps 4 full size people. Anything smaller will cause you to hate the experience.
doug9326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 02:59 PM   #44

You’re smart to borrow on the wisdom of the experiences of others.

Length - while in many cases a longer rig will definitely have more space and options, we’ve found that the configuration of the floor plan plays a really significant role. We have a 2017 Winnebago Vista 29 VE. We liked it more than the configuration of some of the longer models because of the layout (placement of dining table/ couch and the TV. Who wants to watch TV with the neck turned sharply right for a protracted period of time. We’ve camped with 4 adults and 2 teenagers and had a great time.

Dry camping - as some have properly pointed out, water and power are your limiting factors...but, in my mind, it’s mostly water...especially if you want to shower every day. Our unit has an 80 gal fresh water tank and you can blow thru 80 gallons really fast. A “navy shower” where you wet up, turn the water off and then rinse will conserve some, but with dishes, etc your water supply will dwindle quickly. You could probably go 3-5 days if you really scrimp, use paper plates and plastic cutlery.

Tow-behind car - in our experience, with few exceptions, unless you are going to have a bike rack on the back, it’s just not practical to NOT have a tow behind. Even with a bike rack, the place that you’re going to stay may be a greater distance from an attraction then you can comfortably pedal. You definitely don’t want to try biking around all of Yellowstone Park.

One thing you didn’t ask about - Brand of motor home. We did tons of research on motor home brands and I can tell you that there definitely is a difference. Don’t be tempted by a deal that is “too good.” Look at Motorhome reviews, ask current owners, etc. it’s a lot easier than you think to spend $$ on what you think is great, only to find out later that the grand of motorhome is considered a dog by many of its current or former owners.
gschwob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:41 PM   #45

We didn’t want a monster RV, and settled on a lightly used Thor 27.2 ACE. Thor is definitely entry level, but we’ve really had no significant issues. Saved about $20k over new. Addressing the points you raised:

Water capacity is 50 gal.
We put on 200w solar, kept the 2 chassis batteries. We watch TV, use some led lights, and have a battery monitor. Works for us. Use the genset for A/C or microwave, use the 2000W inverter I installed for the Keurig and toaster.

We definitely wanted and needed a toad. I found a 2001 Chevy Tracker 4wd, weighs 2850 lbs. Takes us into town, me flyfishing, and exploring. I put a hitch for bikes on it, and can carry my paddleboard. (BTW I’m an ancient 74YO) Insurance and registration are $500/yr, and it’s small and fits my MH storage space. And, we have a spare if our regular cars are in for repair or guests visit.

MH length is 28.75’. Over the cab bed, no bunks.

I would first decide on the floodplain, then look from there. Also, lots of newer cars that can be towed 4 down. Ford Escape hybrid (and soon PHEV) and the Chevy Equinox.

Enjoy the adventure.
richguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:47 PM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
LOL, if you want a lot of replies, just ask for advice in your subject line.

My first RV was a 27' Class C rental. Drove all over the American west with 3 people aboard for three weeks. Renting is expensive and you don't get the money back, but it will tell you a whole lot about what size RV you need, you can call the rental company for advice on operating the rig, and usually they'll take care of things if the rig breaks down.

After the trip, I bought a 29' Minnie Winnie with no slides -- huge mistake. I spent a winter in Florida with two people aboard, and when we wanted to pass each other in the rig, one of us had to slide into the dinette. With 16" wheels, every joint in the pavement would loosen the fillings in our teeth. On the road, I had to go around the inside and tighten up all the loose screws every few days. With 22.5" wheels, all that goes away, though tires get a lot more expensive and to be safe, you'll want to change tires every 5 years or so.

Renting a smaller rig might be a good option to let you know if you really want to commit to RVing. If you are sure you do, I think you're ultimately going to want a tow vehicle, but be aware that by the time you have the tow bar, tow bracket, wiring, and surge brakes in it, you will have spend a bushel of money, unless you use a dolly, and you'll get really tired of the hassles that involves.

If you're determined to purchase something now and expect to keep it, I think, a ~35' class-A rig is a good option for your situation. You'll pay more and get worse gas mileage, but you'll have a much more comfortable place to stay and way more storage. Consider getting one with two toilets. It's rare to find a park that can't accommodate a 35' rig, though that's cutting it close in a few state parks.

Whatever you do, I'd consider getting something with a decent-sized shower. It will be used a lot (it's no fun living in a rig with people who haven't showered), and a cramped shower gets old really fast. I would never consider a rig where the toilet is *inside* the shower and you have to sit on it or straddle it when showering, though some people don't seem to mind it.

My Bounder 35E (which may be for sale in the spring) has a shower big enough for two people to shower together if they're not too large, and a three-piece sliding glass door that doesn't stick out into the room when open. It's probably my favorite feature of the rig.

Something else to think about is the TV location. Older rigs, like mine, tend to have the TV up front. It limits the size of the TV (though I easily retrofitted mine with a 39" TV). An advantage of this layout is that the door is near the middle of the rig, which is more convenient for loading and bringing in groceries, and gives you better ventilation. When you look at a rig, be sure to consider where everyone will be sitting when you're watching TV together (assuming that you watch TV). Some of the newer rigs with big TVs have somewhat awkward seating for TV watching.

Good luck and welcome to RVing!
Old 01-28-2021, 04:01 PM   #47

I have owned 2 different Class C's (24ft and 27ft). We loved them. I then moved to a 34ft DP, which we love BUT...
You have identified almost all the areas we have found we DON'T like about our DP compared to prior Class C's.
1. Can't get in everywhere we want to go.
2. Must tow a toad in order to drive around...Example: Glacier national park a few months ago, had to park the RV in the visitor center parking lot and drive the Toad to see the sites because RV's over 24ft or so not allowed in certain areas. This has happened to us multiple times in several places across the country.
3. We Boondock ALOT in the sticks in BLM or NF land areas with no hookups. I can't access the same places we love because the coach is too tall (trees), too long (sharp curves) or too low of clearance (dips and ruts in the dirt roads). This is our biggest gripe with the DP. We gave up a lot and had to change where we camp. Much harder.
4. Boondocking for 4 of us is easy for 3-4 days and if we ever need more power than our solar will provide, we can start the gen set. Length of time will depend upon solar array, battery bank size and usage.
5. midnight stops for a roadside parking lot or walmart stay was much easier in a 24ft class C than it is in a 34ft DP with a toad vehicle that can't back up. Another big change to our travelling style.
6. We never run out of water in our 3-4 day stints but we are cautious with usage with a quick shower.
7. I haven't listed the benefits of a larger RV but those are obvious.

By far, biggest drawback for us has been not being able to access dirt roads and isolated BLM and NF areas we did easily in our Class C. This is a preference thing. Some love RV parks with hookups. We like the remote outdoors.

My next RV will probably be a 4x4 diesel class C for the reasons noted above. I feel your pain!
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:26 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv2come View Post
Hi All,

My first post to the forum and we're in need of advice from people with way more experience than we have. Apologies in advance if this should be in a different area--I was looking for an 'advice' area and couldn't find one, but if I'm in the wrong place, please move!

As a bit of background, we're a family of four with two young children (3 & 5) and looking at an RV purchase. I grew up camping all over the west in a westfalia, then casita/scamp and in my grandparents Class A. Unless traveling to a destination, we were always in fairly remote sites and loved it. We love being outside and want to expose our kids to the national parks and more wilderness than they have now. That said, DH grew up in a dense city and has never camped in his life. He is definitely not a 'roughing it' kind of guy! And I'm too old to sleep on the ground, so that brings us to an RV...

As I mentioned, we mainly want to use it to explore the national parks in our region (west coast) and create memories for our family. I much prefer a more private/remote camping experience, but DH still wants the comforts of home. We started our search looking at Class Cs (actually popups, but that's another story), but when DH saw the Class As he was 'home.'

So with that background a few questions:

1. Length... I've been looking at the areas we'd like to go and length seems to be a big limiting factor. So my focus has been to keep it under 30ft. But in looking at them in person, wow what a difference a few feet makes in options! Knowing that we don't want to spend a ton of time camping in RV parking lots, is under 30 ft really the magic number? This has been our biggest debate by far.

2. Dry camping vs hookups and how long can we go... I've been spending a fair amount of time on this one too, since it seems to dictate the type of place we can stay. DH's view is why have a motorhome if you can't plug it in. My view is it makes going 'off grid' way more comfortable. I don't ever see us going off grid for weeks on end, but 3-5 days is not unlikely.

I expect water will be our big issue, since we both like a [hot] shower daily, so I'm looking at models with larger tanks and possibly retrofitting with on demand water heater. Are we expecting too much to be able to do this for several days with no hookups?

Realistically, for a family of 4 using led lights and probably a tablet/tv in the evenings, how long will batteries last?

3. Which brings me to a tow vehicle. We'd like to not bring a tow vehicle (another reason for going smaller?). Is it totally unrealistic to break down camp and head out for the day to visit attractions in a Class A? How long does it typically take to setup/level? Is finding parking a nightmare or are most national parks set up for this?

And if we're breaking camp regularly, do the limitations on dry camping above even really apply, since we would be recharging and could top up tanks regularly?

I would be very grateful for all and any wisdom you are willing share. I know I've asked a ton of questions that are probably super basic, but they seem so interrelated that I'm not sure how to parse them. And the RV salesmen showing DH bigger and bigger models aren't helping! We'd at least like to have something we want to keep for a while and not take a total $$$ bath on it. After looking, DH is of the opinion that we should buy the best/biggest we can, but I also don't want to end up with something that doesn't let us go the places we want to go!
Out of all the great advice you’re going to get on this forum, there is one thing I can tell you that should be of most important to you, besides being able to handle your rig comfortably, please, please make sure you have enough cargo carrying capacity. My wife and I are on our third RV. I have camped all my younger life, my dad had trailers and I did a lot of tent camping over the years. I can tell you this, you will need at least 3,000 pounds of cargo carrying capacity after your freshwater tank is full. I said at least, I would strive to go a little higher if possible. Right now it’s just me and my wife and our dog and we travel half the year full time. And we are close to our CCC of 2,900 pounds. You can always beef up the suspension to make it handle better, add additional technology and aesthetically make it your own, but the one thing you can’t add is more cargo carrying capacity!

As far as being under 30 feet, I had the same concern. We are at 29 feet right now and have never had a problem getting into a park or ever came across that restriction yet, however, I’ve read if you’re going to go out west and stay at a lot of state parks some require you to be under 30 feet.

Good luck let us know what your purchase
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:52 PM   #49

Quote:
Hi All,

My first post to the forum and we're in need of advice from people with way more experience than we have. Apologies in advance if this should be in a different area--I was looking for an 'advice' area and couldn't find one, but if I'm in the wrong place, please move!

As a bit of background, we're a family of four with two young children (3 & 5) and looking at an RV purchase. I grew up camping all over the west in a westfalia, then casita/scamp and in my grandparents Class A. Unless traveling to a destination, we were always in fairly remote sites and loved it. We love being outside and want to expose our kids to the national parks and more wilderness than they have now. That said, DH grew up in a dense city and has never camped in his life. He is definitely not a 'roughing it' kind of guy! And I'm too old to sleep on the ground, so that brings us to an RV...

As I mentioned, we mainly want to use it to explore the national parks in our region (west coast) and create memories for our family. I much prefer a more private/remote camping experience, but DH still wants the comforts of home. We started our search looking at Class Cs (actually popups, but that's another story), but when DH saw the Class As he was 'home.'

1. Length... I've been looking at the areas we'd like to go and length seems to be a big limiting factor. So my focus has been to keep it under 30ft. But in looking at them in person, wow what a difference a few feet makes in options! Knowing that we don't want to spend a ton of time camping in RV parking lots, is under 30 ft really the magic number? This has been our biggest debate by far.

2. Dry camping vs hookups and how long can we go... I've been spending a fair amount of time on this one too, since it seems to dictate the type of place we can stay. DH's view is why have a motorhome if you can't plug it in. My view is it makes going 'off grid' way more comfortable. I don't ever see us going off grid for weeks on end, but 3-5 days is not unlikely.

I expect water will be our big issue, since we both like a [hot] shower daily, so I'm looking at models with larger tanks and possibly retrofitting with on demand water heater. Are we expecting too much to be able to do this for several days with no hookups?

Realistically, for a family of 4 using led lights and probably a tablet/tv in the evenings, how long will batteries last?

3. Which brings me to a tow vehicle. We'd like to not bring a tow vehicle (another reason for going smaller?). Is it totally unrealistic to break down camp and head out for the day to visit attractions in a Class A? How long does it typically take to setup/level? Is finding parking a nightmare or are most national parks set up for this?

And if we're breaking camp regularly, do the limitations on dry camping above even really apply, since we would be recharging and could top up tanks regularly?

I would be very grateful for all and any wisdom you are willing share. I know I've asked a ton of questions that are probably super basic, but they seem so interrelated that I'm not sure how to parse them. And the RV salesmen showing DH bigger and bigger models aren't helping! We'd at least like to have something we want to keep for a while and not take a total $$$ bath on it. After looking, DH is of the opinion that we should buy the best/biggest we can, but I also don't want to end up with something that doesn't let us go the places we want to go!
We have been RVing since '77. We have been there and done that.
My first thought is that your city boy has got to get over, "DH still wants the comforts of home'. Until he accepts what the outdoors has to offer, he will never be happy.
If you can get him past that, here are a few thoughts I have.
For the type of camping you are hoping to do.
You need to stay in the 28- 30 foot range and comprise on your objectives. We have three daughters and managed with smaller units.
We never towed and were always able to squeeze in to the places we wanted to see. We are sightseer's and the MH is just a place to sleep.
As for hot showers, most CG's have shower facilities. Not always the best, but useable. RV's in general aren't made for that type of luxury.
Our present unit is a 30 ft. DP and has 100 gal. water tank and 50 gal holding tanks. It is old and they don't make them like that any more. For the two of us it is more then adequate.
In your case, sleeping arrangements is priority. You need a unit that will sleep four comfortably. This can be done in many ways. We did it in class c's and A's all under 28 ft. But no hot showers for all.
You have do your homework first. Get the DH into the program or forget it.
I wish you the best and stay safe.
Treker Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:53 PM   #50

Quote:
Hi All,

Yes on 30 ft. And be aware just because they call it a 30 fter doesn’t mean it is. My 30x3 is 31.5, and I’ll be looking to downsize next time.

Also avoid folding mattresses. No quality ones available. And do plan to replace one that comes with RV.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:56 PM   #51

Yes on water being the prime determinant. Wife and I get 7 days with a shower near the end with 50 gallons. You’ll need to learn conservation.

If cold weather batteries can be limiting. Get a generator and at least two 6 v batteries for coach.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:58 PM   #52

Parking a Class A is a big issue. Plan on a toad.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:44 PM   #53

Something I haven't read in other posts, consider a large truck camper, Host, Lance, Eagle CAp etc. They will be smaller but go more places, four wheel drive available, no need for a toad! We spent two months in one going through the Canadian Maritimes and they have a lot of advantages!
Maytonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:29 PM   #54

This is absolutely not relevant to your question. We have a 45 ft tag DP, 4 slides and it's basically a condo on wheels. Washer and Dryer, dishwasher, aqua hot which is endless hot water. We never boondock. A couple times sleeping at rest stops but rarely. What I wanted to say is, plan, plan, plan on where you're going. With our toad we are close to 70 feet in length. We have been in county, state and federal parks with it. We were headed to the Grand Canyon before covid and they shut the place down. 40,000 miles in less than 3 years and we've always been in a park somewhere.
Check out the campground reviews from people that have been there. Many places are tough to get around even in a class C.
I wouldn't even consider going into Yellowstone with it though. But there are a lot of county parks across the country that can fit a 70 ft. rig. And the prices are great for full hook ups.
Good luck with the search.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:52 PM   #55

Lots of good advise. But as you see everything is very personal.
I started 50 years ago with a pickup camper and have owned about everything since then. Except high end Class A's.
I would suggest to find a floor plan you like in the smallest possible length. Not the length you like with an acceptable floor plan. Your idea of a bunk house sounds like a good plan. Once you purchase something you will find something that you like better. I have lost count on how many we have owned.
Don't short cut the PDI. Nothing worse than getting there and something not working.
We have two 40 gallon gray water tanks. I added a valve to the outside drain to back one tank into the other. That has extended our dry camping. One shower takes us about 4-5 gallons. We have dry camped 8 days. Gray water can be drained into a five gallon bucket and dumped into a toilet at the nearest restroom. You will find ways to make your trips work. These are just a couple of ideas. Happy Camping, God Bless
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:06 PM   #56

Doomed to fail

You received a bunch of kind words as everyone wants to encourage you to the fun and enjoyment they have experienced. I'll just touch on one item in your list, water.

Did you understand that you can't have showers when boondocking. You will run out of water and tank space fast. Those who are successful at "navy showers" have a lifetime of practice. Most likely you will hose off the kids and get the soap out of your hair at the outside shower. Making do is a fun part of the experience.

I suggest "YouTube" to help you figure out how to move forward. Search YouTube, rving with children and your results will have a number of channels of people living the life. Binge a channel that suits and you will get a lot of help that addresses exactly what you want to do.

I agree with all the kind words you received, rving is great. Get some education on YouTube and jump in, you will be glad you did.

Mike
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, newbie