Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee 45 View Post
Tell me about the anticipation of turning the ignition key on a 13 year old coach, hoping it fires.
ours turns 25 in January and yesterday when I put the key in Coachy’s ignition I said, “Ok, Coachy, now’s the time.” and it fired right up.

ahhh ;-)
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2019, 12:45 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am SOooo fortunate!! I bought my 2002 Bounder this May from the 2nd owner. Took RiVa on only one 600-mile fishing trip and no problems. (except the table rattled off the wall!). (Easy Gorilla glue in the screw hole fix). But my Fridge did kaplunk in September.) My 2 air conditioners work and the furnace works great. I'm in Colorado winter right now parked in Moms yard with 30Amp hookup and one space heater to help save on propane. I looked for the right one and have been blessed. Good luck all.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Sissies? Nah! We are victims either. We are adventurers. Tell me about the anticipation of turning the ignition key on a 13 year old coach, hoping it fires. Or when you turn the key and hit the rocker switch and hope the slide retracts. Life would be boring without a little tension or intrigue! For me, I just don’t want too much of it.
AND - Write it all up with some photos and post it on your personal web site:

1999 Southwind 35S – Southwind by Fleetwood – sporting its new paint job

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not only is being a mechanically inclined DIYer almost required, having detail orientated eyes helps too. If you don't have a "to do" list for your RV you're not paying close enough attention to it IMO.
Even though I complain endlessly to the DW, I also tell her these things are like playgrounds for guys like me. House and Truck maintenance all in one. Awesome!
Old 11-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #33

OMG Do you speak the truth!

We keep our MH in off-site storage when it's not in use. We use it like every 3-4 weeks. Every time I take it out, I need to fix what's broken. Friends say, "well, it's like owning a summer home- needs occasional maintenance." I own and have owned homes. This is nothing like those.

I saw this post on a FB MH site.. guy was asking for some advice about a prospective MH purchase from the other members. His question had to do with money. One of the people who replied said, "Are you really asking for financial advice from someone who purchased a motorhome?"
Fairfieldwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:06 PM   #34

I keep a list of things that need to be fixed, repaired, checked or have maintenance performed. The list is never blank.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
"Are you really asking for financial advice from someone who purchased a motorhome?"
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #36

Being able to fix things yourself is very handy. Having something stupid screw up on the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere can be a problem if you cant somewhat diagnose it yourself. Having someone to call is a God sent as well. This forum falls into this category. I think one problem many people have is they spend their entire budget on the rv. If you don't leave some emergency money for potential repairs, you could be in trouble. DPs have expensive engines. I replaced my radiator, both fuel pumps, and a slew of other preventative items before my last trip. Happy to report two months on the road with no problems. I have been on board my friends rv when the transmission went a thousand miles from home. He is a diesel mechanic, and we changed it ourselves in a parking lot. It still cost him almost $3000 Cdn for the tranny. We met one couple in New Brunswick who had blown their motor. They had been there a week already, and had no idea when the repair would be completed. Owning rvs is definitely not for the light on funds crowd, especially if you own an older one. One the other hand, how do you put a price on dreams.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:46 PM   #37

Its a hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanda View Post
Regardless of the type of RV you have you will work on them from the time you drive off the dealer lot.

Just like owning a boat, you have to think of it as a hobby. If you don't like tinkering with things you better have a huge bank account.
Rocket Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Ha! I’ve taken to wearing a bicycle helmet when I crawl under the coach.
I should have been wearing one when I stood up too fast under the slide out
Talk about a splitting headache!
HarleyRider7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:14 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
AND - Write it all up with some photos and post it on your personal web site:

1999 Southwind 35S – Southwind by Fleetwood – sporting its new paint job

Been there several times, Waiter21. Good reads, good ideas, good work.

Cheers.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:20 PM   #40

I'm a full timer and it certainty is a full time job!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Don’t give up!

If you have more than a hammer, duct tape, and bailing wire, you have to try to fix it yourself. It’s an unwritten law! After a few issues, your wife will start telling you to check the irv2 forum if you don’t know how to fix it. If you can’t find the answer from a previous post, ask. You will always get multiple answers.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:46 PM   #42

Purchased a pampered, really good condition, low mileage [36K] 1996 Tiffin Allegro for reasonable price. Immediately had my truck shop [I've used them for decades on all my rigs] do complete fluid flush/changes and rear/front-end/brake refreshments; as well as tune up, new hoses, bearings, fan belts, and the rear end opened with axles out for inspection. New tire and spring airbag filler hoses too. Then had couple guys on my masonry/concrete/tile construction company crew remove all and every calking with new calking replaced [top, sides, front and back] Same two guys did full-on shine job too and scrubbed inside to like new. I also designed some inside add-ons for increased comfort and livability. "Sweetie" rides like a Cadillac and is great for short or long trips.

I put $15K into our good original condition and fully reworked-mechanically/well-refurbished 25' RV. "Sweetie" is simple to use and enjoy; can park in a lot or boondock or get into parks nearly any where. Gets 10 mpg at 60 to 65 mph.

My brother had a Newmar 40'. My friend had AirStream 36'. Other friend had 36' HR. All sold theirs due to too big for just weekend jaunts Folks at parks with big RVs have mentioned to us they wish theirs was a bit smaller; for reasons.

Each to their own. Of course, If we were full timers or even 1/2 timers... then 25' RV we use for long weekends and occasional multi week trips would probably be too cramped. RV and boat sizes/models need to be purchased to cover needs/desires at hand. Our in-good-condition little "Sweetie" sits quietly on our property waiting for our next fun trip... be it short or long!

Important note: Have really good condition and not too old tires [ours came with good ones].

Another note: As mentioned above, bigger is not necessarily better. So... similarly, diesel is not always better than gas. Both bigger and diesel each have their place in the RV and pleasure boat world. As do smaller and gas!