Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2018, 02:35 PM   #1

Pa Class A motorhome license

I acquired my Pa class A permit. It was very interesting finding anyone who new what I needed at the license center. Has anyone taken the test? I was told no written exam. Do I need another class a motor home driver with me to take the test? If so where do you find one? No one that I have talked to locally has a license. I read some of the threads on other site and they are ambiguous. Help??
wlw209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I can only tell you about NC where you are supposed to have a non commercial class B for anything over 26000 lbs. I had to pass a written test (same as CDL including air brake part). During the driving test, which had me take the motor home to the DMV, I had to do a complete air brake check etc. I can drive over 26K now, tow up to 10K and use air brakes. I had been doing that for 5 years before I found out the legal requirements in NC. mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #3

I checked here in my located Pa. DMV a couple of years ago and they told me that I had to just take a driving test to get my non commercial class A drivers license. I had to have someone with either a non commercial or commercial drivers license travel with me to the testing center. I could not get there by myself. If I did they could write me up. The permit cost just $5.00 no big deal but the first thing I asked was were do I find such a person to accompany me and they didn't know. I believe they suggested going to a trucking company and asking them for help. Well needless to say that never happened and I never did get my non commercial drivers license. In PA you need one if your going to drive a MH over 26,001#. So I'm sticking to my gasser MH for now. The DMV also told me that there was no written exam only the driving test. Another place you might want to check is a MH dealer someone there might help you. Good luck hope you get your license.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:40 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I went to a local fire station and asked if anyone wanted to make an extra $50 on their day off. Those who drive fire trucks need a non cal class b license here in NC. The fire Captain on duty was happy to help out. Maybe you have a similar requirement in PA.
Bill
Old 10-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #5

Fire depts...
School bus drivers... & bus garage mechanics...
Town maint truck drivers...
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:15 PM   #6

Also, city transit bus drivers. I worked as a transit bus driver some years ago and some transit bus drivers have splits or work shift schedules and I know many wouldn't mind making an extra $50 or so accompanying you to the DMV.

Be sure to study the section in the manual about air brakes as the examiner may test you on some of the information contained within. Many states will give the same written and driving tests to non-commercial applicants as they do for CDL applicants. I don't know how it is in Pennsylvania but you'll also want to be ready in case they want to quiz you for an air brake endorsement.

You can study Section 5 that deals with air brakes in the PA CDL manual ...go HERE if you do not already have it.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:06 AM   #7

Where are you in pa? Class A CDL here and if not too far I will go with. I am outside West Chester or Kennett square, south east Pa.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:48 AM   #8

I appreciate the offer. I'm near Allentown. I believe they test at a college north of Allentown. I hate to make you drive that far. Let me see what I can get scheduled for the test and if I can find someone local. Funny thing is I talked to a state cop the other night and he did not know there was a class a motor home license. I will let you know.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #9

There is no class A motorhome license in PA.You do not need a special license to drive your motorhome.
indianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #10

Here is the official PennDOT website with the pertinent information:

https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Servic...s/default.aspx

If I'm interpreting this correctly, you only need a non-commercial Class A license if you're towing something ("combination of vehicles") and the combined weight is greater than 26,000 pounds. If you're not towing, Class B might apply. That would be for a single vehicle in excess of 26,000, like a large Class A motor home. So, to put it confusingly, you need a Class B license to drive large Class A motor home!

Thanks,
MathComp
Old 11-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathComp View Post
Here is the official PennDOT website with the pertinent information:

https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Servic...s/default.aspx

If I'm interpreting this correctly, you only need a non-commercial Class A license if you're towing something ("combination of vehicles") and the combined weight is greater than 26,000 pounds. If you're not towing, Class B might apply. That would be for a single vehicle in excess of 26,000, like a large Class A motor home. So, to put it confusingly, you need a Class B license to drive large Class A motor home!

Thanks,
MathComp
I believe you are correct - however the OP will likely need a Class B or higher driver to accompany him / her to/from road test
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:02 AM   #12

Apparently you do need a class b or a license to drive a certain motorhome in pa. I doubt anyone would go through the trouble as I am sure no one enforces it, for rv that is.

A lot of our horse people are getting hammered by local DOT officers for driving a gooseneck horse trailer over the weight rating for a class a. Even if you tag the truck and trailer under the weight it still doesn't matter. The non commercial class a or b is easy to test for and again most testing places don't know about it. I once took two people for their driving test and the testing officer didn't even ask for my credentials. They also went around the block and that was it.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:21 AM   #13

Not needed in Missouri, only need a regular drivers license. And... I know this is off subject but we also don’t need a permit to conceal carry. We love it here!
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:34 AM   #14

Update on quest to legality
I have scheduled my test. Locally they are scheduled april of 2019. I had to go to the Lebanon facility ( Dec 18) to get an appointment. It is a class B (26 k and air brakes are the triggers). I have a CDL holder to go with me. You need a B holder or better with you to take the test. He has given me the practice tests so I can field any questions on the walk around prior to test. The more technical knowledge the better. I am snowbirding this winter and want to be legal. I will update when I take the test.

Tags
class a, motorhome