Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2016, 10:49 PM   #1

Paint?

I am king of stupid questions. But I do make sense to myself, my dog tells me so.

You go to a truck/car dealer and for the most part everything is painted in one solid color. Some sporty rigs have strips but most makers offer "stripe delete" if you choose.

All, and I mean all motorhomes come in multi hues of stripes and designs in multiple colors. Many look like rolling fireworks.

Why is this? Why can't I get a white one, or a grey one? I spoke with Tiffin about this and I figured it'd save them a bunch to have just one color instead of 4-5-6-7 different colors of paint. They said no dice. Got to have those 25" long multi color stripes heading down the road.

I mean I can deal with it, but why is it like that?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #2

You can special order a plain one. Back in the day, we used to call them "milk jugs". If you see one, you'd know why.

The stripes are about styling, adding some dimension to what otherwise looks like a (bread) box. People spending a lot of money on something like this generally feel better when some attempt has been made to make them look a little better.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:15 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Perfect, X's2
spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #4

We had a solid white 5th wheel pull in next to us a couple days ago. It really wasn't a good look.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:31 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Still, I think Bob makes a good point that a little less "flourish" in some of the paint jobs would be a great option.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #6

With tastes that generally run on the conservative side personally, I'm not disagreeing with the OP. My point was only that generally, you need to do SOMETHING to have an attractive looking MH.

Aircraft, even though they are actually much sleeker and sexier looking, are much the same way. RARELY will you ever see one done in a single solid color...
Old 11-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree. Something is better than nothing, but too much is too much! :-)
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO the flourish is a fashion statement that breaks up a large flat wall. Also help to disguise the wall is not perfectly flat.

Saw a totally blacked out unit on one of the threads. Not my cup of tea.

We are happy they did not choose camo!!!
Old 11-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was camping in an rv park a year or so ago and there were about 6-7 GMC motorhomes there also and several of them were solid color and the most awesome was a pure black one. There was a pretty white one that had some decals on it, but no stripes along with an off red and a yellow one and a couple that were repainted, but with all the original colors.
The black one was magnificent and the owner said that it had 10 coats of aircraft type paint and several coats of clear coat and he didn't have to wax it. It looked as if you could walk right into the side of the coach.
They said that there had been one of their friends there earlier that had his painted that Corvette black rose color. That's the one like the old candy apple red, but is a dark red that turns black depending on how the light strikes it.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
IMO the flourish is a fashion statement that breaks up a large flat wall. Also help to disguise the wall is not perfectly flat.

Saw a totally blacked out unit on one of the threads. Not my cup of tea.

We are happy they did not choose camo!!!
^^agree. The fiberglass laminated walls that make up most all coaches built today are wavy as the ocean. Single colors on that huge wall (especially if a darker color) would make it harder to convince the potential buyer that is about to pony up $120,000 or more, that the product quality was worth the cost. Consider the graphics as an optical disguise.
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
You can special order a plain one. Back in the day, we used to call them "milk jugs". If you see one, you'd know why.
I spoke to a rep at the Tiffin plant and she said no. I am guessing other builders allow it. I know Dynamax is big on mono tone paint jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
The fiberglass laminated walls that make up most all coaches built today are wavy as the ocean. Single colors on that huge wall (especially if a darker color) would make it harder to convince the potential buyer that is about to pony up $120,000 or more, that the product quality was worth the cost. Consider the graphics as an optical disguise.
That is a good point indeed. Unless you went with a low luster paint it'd be pretty wavy.

I saw a newer Winnebago at a gas station in May that was coated with a made for RV "bedliner" material. It was a very pleasant tan color. It looked great. Didn't look like a milk jug to us at all. Roof, sides, caps all the same. I wanted to ask the guy what that cost but didn't. But it sure will last a long time.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #12

BTW, the material used for RV's is just as tuff as bed liner, but not textured so rough. Sort of a pebble smooth texture. This had a very low luster as well. Not flat but more of a satin finish. I did ask the guy how much weight this added. He said the installer claims about 100 lbs total. This was about a 32'-34' rig.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Solid colors are fine for sports cars that have plenty of stylish curves molded into their profile.

With rare exception, a motorhome is a brick and inherently butt ugly. One of the few ways to give it any style is through the paint pattern.

Here's a pretty good contrast: This is the same motorhome, before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uglyassmh.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	143617  
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #14

Taking off the decals and getting our 2000 Winne Brave painted is something we have been thinking about for late next year. Does anyone have any idea on a ball park price of getting a paint job?
imob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint