Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Paint manufacturer

Does anyone know what Manafacturers paint was used on the 2003 Dutch Star?
Can the paint numbers be crossed referenced w/o a name?
I have the paint code numbers.

Thanks in advance.
Deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any paint manufacturer/supplier can mix the paint code to that color. The code is matched to the color, not the paint manufacturer.

A word of caution, if you are trying to touch up the paint it will not match exactly because of fading issues with the original paint.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #3

Newmar paint numbers are listed in kitchen cabinet door.
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Deerhunter,
The paint was Sherwin Williams. That being said, any body shop manager will sigh when he is trying to match Sherwin Williams paint. For some reason, that paint brand is very difficult to match.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #5

Newmar paint codes and paint manufacturers are listed inside kitchen cabinet door.
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Any paint manufacturer/supplier can mix the paint code to that color. The code is matched to the color, not the paint manufacturer.

A word of caution, if you are trying to touch up the paint it will not match exactly because of fading issues with the original paint.
not exactly
each manufacture sets up its own unique paint code, or a code based on a customers order. IE honda specifies this model year to be xx, so who ever got the bid sets a color chip code
these are NOT always cross-able to other manufactures codes or colors
this being said
Sherwin Williams colors are a bear to cross to other makers codes and colors.
however s/w has a great paint thingy on this
FormulaExpress® Home | FormulaExpress® | Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes
site to help you find and see the color
really want to mess you up
there really no NEW colors
my damon has s/w paint and the white pearl metallic is 90% match to a mitsubishi lancer color form years back,
most rv companies use the fleet range of colors or borrow from someone else... unless you custom mix your colors
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I'll be dipped. I spent 20 plus years in the paint and body business using Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 paint and now I find out it never matched and that Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc paint codes cannot be matched with this system. I'm glad I had great customers that simply accepted our work.

If you take the paint code to Sherwin Williams, PPG, DuPont, BASF, Valspar, etc they will all mix a different formula with the same color results...if mixed correctly.

If you want to pull the rest of your hair out, check how many colors have what are called alternates...different shades of the same color. GM's midnight blue metallic has something like 10 alternate colors from the factory.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
nope
a mis read has happened
paint codes chip colors from different PAINT / COATING manufacturers will not or will cross to a competitors all the time, no one said gm or dodge or ford. but actual paint makers. a ford code for dove grey is and can be matched by any paint company,
s/w just happens to be the most difficult
sunset pearl metallic by s/w has 4 alternates...and each little tweak isnt even close the previous incarnation Its a soft french vanilla sort of white with lots of tri toned metallics
even crossing it to dupont brings up a whole different shade.

yes gm has funky blends and Cadillac has a very pricey additive package for its "white"
others that try to mimic it come up a shade or reflective off
will the naked eyeball pick it up every time ....nope
the only true way to match what is on your coach is to have the base code as a starting point and a good panel with the desired color
take both to a reputable industrial coating place and get a 92-99% match
tuxedo black metallic on my ford has 9 additives to make it look black that reflects to a depth you can shave looking at it

the auto industry is not known until recent years for stellar paint jobs. and their color shades used to shift like the sun from run to run
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr
not exactly
each manufacture sets up its own unique paint code, or a code based on a customers order. IE honda specifies this model year to be xx, so who ever got the bid sets a color chip code
these are NOT always cross-able to other manufactures codes or colors
this being said
Sherwin Williams colors are a bear to cross to other makers codes and colors.
however s/w has a great paint thingy on this
FormulaExpress® Home | FormulaExpress® | Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes
site to help you find and see the color
really want to mess you up
there really no NEW colors
my damon has s/w paint and the white pearl metallic is 90% match to a mitsubishi lancer color form years back,
most rv companies use the fleet range of colors or borrow from someone else... unless you custom mix your colors
Thanks for all the comments. It looks like paint mixing can be a challenge. I tried the link provided and look up the codes. Didn't get the answers I was looking for on 2 of 4 codes. No answers on the other two.

I think I will take the numbers along with my refrigerator access door to a local body shop and have the paint color matched. May cost a little extra but good quality results is what I'm after.

Thanks again for the comments!
Deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint