RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Painting

Not sure what forum to start with but here goes. I am refurbishing a 2000 Allegro Bus. Some the vynal stripes are weathered bad in places. The painted lower section is OK except for a few place where I will do some body work and repaint I also am going to paint where the bad vynal is and want to know if anyone has tried to remove the vynal and or paint over. I am competent with a spray rig but have not experience with prep and painting over vynal. Any comments would be appreciated.
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
3M makes equipment and solvent to remove vinyl decals and adhesive. Check with your local NAPA store.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #3

Ditto Check with your local auto stores and or paint shops.

I used a heat gun and spent a half a day removing a small area 12' by 8'
area on one of my work trucks.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
Not sure what forum to start with but here goes. I am refurbishing a 2000 Allegro Bus. Some the vynal stripes are weathered bad in places. The painted lower section is OK except for a few place where I will do some body work and repaint I also am going to paint where the bad vynal is and want to know if anyone has tried to remove the vynal and or paint over. I am competent with a spray rig but have not experience with prep and painting over vynal. Any comments would be appreciated.

Warm the vinyl graphics with a hair dryer, don't overheat, just get it warm,it will peel right off. I always use a fingernail to catch the edge,then peel with one hand and keep heating with other hand. Then use 3-m adhesive remover to get off any leftover glue. I would not paint the graphics, any sign shop can make new ones,just take lots of pic's before removal, stick back on after bodywork is done.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #5

I have seen a post about somebody who recently spray painted over vinyl graphics. They were happy with the look, but it was recent. I wonder how that will look in a few years, especially if in hot sun. And how hard it will be to strip painted over graphics later if need be.

I decided to try removing the worst graphic from side to find out how hard it would be. Just used a hair dryer and scraper. The graphic came right off the warm sunny side of the rv while the shady side needed a bit more warmth from the hairdryer. Really, it was easier than I expected. Left less adhesive than I feared. Clean up with acetone was pretty fast. Before you resign yourself to painting over, you might want to at least try removing them; it might be easier than you think.

Unlike you I am not experienced with a spray rig. I am considering trying my hand at painting them on with marine quality epoxy paint. Boater paint stripes all the time with it, so I should be able to roll-n- tip it on too. If I do not like that result, I can always sand and apply new vinyl.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:25 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I know of several who have removed the Vinyl graphics and have used paint were the old vinyl graphics were. I removed mine and did not paint or use new vinyl. I like it just the way it is, with out vinyl or paint.
Mel
Old 11-23-2016, 10:49 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
I know of several who have removed the Vinyl graphics and have used paint were the old vinyl graphics were. I removed mine and did not paint or use new vinyl. I like it just the way it is, with out vinyl or paint.
Mel
Thanks for all the good information. This will be a good Winter project. I will try to remove the vinyl and if successful I just might remove all the graphics and paint the whole thing.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
Thanks for all the good information. This will be a good Winter project. I will try to remove the vinyl and if successful I just might remove all the graphics and paint the whole thing.
A good repainting job would look great for a long time.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #9

I think you'd be happier if you repainted the whole thing rather than spot painting. The original is 16 years old and the original is probably faded. I think spot painting will really stand out. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
I suggest you talk to a painter as in some cases you can apply a clear over paints and graphics that will make the coach look new. The painter will advise you on this as some paints won't accept clear coat. Of course, if the graphics are in bad shape, then you will need to address that issue as well.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8TiresRollin View Post
I suggest you talk to a painter as in some cases you can apply a clear over paints and graphics that will make the coach look new. The painter will advise you on this as some paints won't accept clear coat. Of course, if the graphics are in bad shape, then you will need to address that issue as well.
I have done a lot of work on Fiberglass painting (boats) and in my experience it is just not a good idea to clear coat over fiberglass. Urethane or acrylic have both yellowed and crazed. On the other hand a good urethane with a hardener over fiberglass, then clear coat works good for me. My concern in the first place was looking for anyone who had experience with paint over vinyl, good , bad, or how to. Thanks to all for the input.

Tags
paint